View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Rough Ride? Reply with quote

swag wrote:
People are trying to convince us not to buy a 2008 C-Dory 2' Angler because they are claiming the ride will be too rough? Any advice from the forum? swag Confused

Any chance they're trying to sell you their Bayliner? Laughing

Apologies for the snark, but I suspect theses folks have never been in a CDory. The boats are versatile, safe, fun and relatively affordable. Easy to maintain, economical and reliable. Go for a ride on one and see for yourself.

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the gum flapping and chest thumping comes down to
the fact that there is no perfect boat for all conditions.

Think about your primary use of the thing.
Look at the construction quality, design and features.
Take a run in one you like, if possible.
Remember, often the research and looking is the most
enjoyable part of the experience.
Go with the one that really blows your hair back.
Hope you don't change your mind too soon after your
purchase.

Above all, make your own decisions and not take the
opinions of others as the truth.

That's about the best you can do aside from having
several boats for different occasions (different topic).

Aye.

Grandpa used to say, "If my body were a boat, I'd trade
it for a new model. Everytime I sneeze my hull leaks and
my exhaust backfires."

Grandma used to say, "Seek a boat as you would a friend
or a mate: one you form a forgiving relationship where
you automatically compensate for its shortcomings as it
does for yours."

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jack in Alaska"]... but gets 1/2 the mileage.../quote]

Shouldn't that be "2x the mileage"? Maybe more?
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy wrote:

Go with the one that really blows your hair back.

From my experiences I found that you can research hull designs, power options, cabin layouts, and count the cup holders till your blue in the face - but unless you get behind the helm take a cruise and bring it back to the dock - and unless that cruise at the helm puts a smile on your face and unless bringing it to the dock gives a boost to your confidence then the chances are that you will be unhappy with the boat(sooner or later).

As well as all the other advise already given.

Regards, Rob

Foggy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, more of an empirical process rather than analysis.

Aye.
skiptowns98033

City/Region: Cornet Bay
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Plan C
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar concerns before buying Plan C a year ago. The determining factor for me was taking a ride in one. Barry and Patty took us out on C Cakes for an hour and showed us how the boat handled.

End of discussion -

If you're near the north end of Whidbey and want to go out, let me know.

Dan & Lori
Plan C
swag

City/Region: Westport
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Rough Ride? Reply with quote

I've been so impressed by you all...your knowledge, willingness to share experiences. Certain words and phrases have popped out and stayed with me...
...This has made my wife love boating....Sometimes a big boat is more a hindrance than a help. The nod has always gone to the skipper who can assess conditions and not ask for more than the dory was designed to do. Fuel economy is a major consideration, too.

And to those who said, 'It all depends on how you plan to use the boat,'"
We are 2 women north of 50, who have been boating since 1995 in Long Island Sound. Our boats were Sea Ray 33 and Blue Star 37. Lovely boats, but our shallow harbor was merciless on the props. We managed, though, losing half of each day waiting for tide to come in. NOW we want a much smaller, easier boat, the flatter bottom the better, allowing us to go out in good weather, watch sunsets and fireworks, cruise up rivers that have been closed to our bigger boats. Except for the lack of a head, the 22' dory would be perfect. We do like creature comforts!

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got to do some actual sea trials with my new-to-me CD 16, and I can see the "they ride rough" argument. But it's really a "they can be made to ride rough" argument. Travelling at any speed and loading that presents the flat dory bottom to an oncoming wave, it's going to whack. WOT into whitecaps is going to shake loose screws out (I know), besides being really uncomfortable. You can slow down, you can trim the bow down, or you can shift weight forward, or all three.

On a 16, shifting the weight was interesting to test. My brother curled up into the V berth as far as possible and that shift of 160 pounds allowed increased speeds and comfort (within reason). Simple. I'm in the process of moving batteries forward and I'm looking into a permanent gas tank towards the bow. I know that it's possible to get too much weight forward in a boat, but I haven't read any posts yet where Brats have had that problem.

As others have noted, it all depends on what you want in a boat. In chop, I have to slow to 3,500 rpm (which also happens to be close to my best mpg). That doesn't appeal to those who equate boat performance with boat speed. For people who talk about their "hole shot" (a term that I just learned), the C-Dory simply isn't what they are looking for.

Mark
Limpet (I got a name, I got a name)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Foggy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
SNIP I know that it's possible to get too much weight forward in a boat, but I haven't read any posts yet where Brats have had that problem. SNIP

What you want with weight distribution is balance so you can trim the boat to
conditions from the helm. Lower the V'd bow with tabs into seas to present a
shape conducive to parting waves rather than having them slam under the hull.
Raise the bow in larger following seas to avoid the bow digging in down the face
of a wave perhaps starting to broach. In between, trim to comfort.

Marco Flamingo wrote:
SNIP For people who talk about their "hole shot" (a term that I just learned), the C-Dory simply isn't what they are looking for.

Au contraire mon ami. My C-Dory (C'est C Bon, 26' Venture, twin 90hp) comes out
of the hole like a scared rabbit going in a hole - something my deep V Saber (twin
V8 415hp) couldn't approach.

Aye.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rough Ride? Reply with quote

swag wrote:
<stuff clipped> Except for the lack of a head, the 22' dory would be perfect. We do like creature comforts!

Well with a CD25 or 26 you will still get most of the advantages of shallow draft and you get the head. You'll pay more for the boat and more in fuel and need a bigger tow vehicle. However, you gain room inside, a little better ride in chop and an enclosed pottie. It's really hard to find a boat under 24-25' that has an enclosed head so in general, if that's important, you're usually looking at a slightly larger boat.

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found that if I trimmed the boat by balancing the weight, I didn't need to trim as much using the motor or see any need for trim tabs. Yes, tabs can be used to correct a boat that is horribly out of balance, but at a cost. Not just the installation cost, but tabs correct improper balance by creating lift in the stern. Lifting the stern takes horsepower. HP takes gasoline. Trim tabs can increase economy over a boat that is out of balance and doesn't have tabs. I'm not sure that they can improve economy and performance over a boat that doesn't need tabs.

I also felt that shifting more weight to the front gave a better ride than trimming using the OB (I don't have tabs, although I think that some CD 16s do). My OB could be trimmed to hold the nose down and make for a better ride into chop, but adding some weight in the front seemed to work even better. More experimenting is required, although top speed into nasty seas isn't really my goal. As between speed and comfort, I now tend towards the latter.

>My C-Dory (C'est C Bon, 26' Venture, twin 90hp) comes out
of the hole like a scared rabbit going in a hole<

I understand the concept when starting out pulling a water skier. I've owned a lot of boats (all displacement hulls) so I hadn't even heard of the term.

Enclosed head - what's that?

Mark
Limpet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the head, the CD-22 does not come with an "enclosed" head. None the less, it does come with a Porta Potti, that most find sufficient. It is tucked away under the V-berth, but by day you can remove the center cushion for easy access. At night, we have curtains on our cabin, so we just move the potti back to by the entry door for those nature calls in the middle of the night.... As I mentioned earlier, I had a Searay 268 Sundancer. (26' cabin cruiser.) Yes, that boat had more room, and even an enclosed head (still fairly tight..), but weighed a lot more to tow (10,000 lbs) (The C-22 I have on an aluminum twin axle trailer weights 4800 lbs with the trailer). However, I find the Cdory much much more versatile and feel safer in it in big water/bad weather than I did in the SeaRay. I've had the C-dory in 18" water, and 6 foot waves. (not at the same time...lol). And there are others here that have experienced much more in the weather department. Now if I had the means and funds, I'd go for a Catamaran. But for me, someone that likes to travel to different bodies of water with my boat, and solo handle a lot, along with traveling with my wife, I have been quite pleased with the C-dory. Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of the head or portipotty--my first 1993 C D 22 had the head just a few inches back from the forward bulkhead. The 2006, which I now own, has it about 10" further forward--and this allows better privacy. Most all of the boats come with some curtain which gives privacy when using the head. We just throw a towel over the center part of the console, but have the curtain somewhere at home. What you gain in the 25, 26, Tom Cat 255, is a place to stand up, when you pull your pants back on…. vs having to do it in a sitting position. We don't find it that big of an inconvenience. We rarely if ever showered in our 25--just too cramped for Marie and myself. The Tom Cat 255 was just a few inches larger, and so it was possible.

We put the potty in the middle of the cabin vs the cockpit Mainly because we usually have a gear box, a freezer, a generator, and a ice chest in the cockpit (some of which double as seats, plus we don't always carry the camper back with us.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my previous 22, I had an enclosure made in the cockpit that consisted of a piece of wrap around sunbrella that hung from the bottom of the camper back canvas. It zipped in on the starboard side and connected to the outside edge with snaps, it hung from the center rail in for the portion that ran port-to-starboard and velcro'd to the bulkhead on the port side (just starboard of the starboard edge of the cabin door). I piece of black screen fabric snapped over the starboard side window on the cabin bulkhead to prevent those from within the cabin from seeing in (but provided enough light so one could do their business). I liked this arrangement as I never wanted guys attempting to pee near where I put my head to sleep at night! Also, it served as an outside changing room if one needed more space to change and you could shower in it with a solar shower or similar. It's the second photo in my album.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marck,
The issue is in getting too much weight in the bow--where when going down wind/seas, you put the bow down too much, and can experience bow steering or broaching--both of which can be serious, or even dangerous, if you cannot raise the bow.

Planing boats are far more susceptible to weight distribution and trim. However, on any boat, one prefers to keep weight out of the ends of the boat, since it will effect the ride and safety….
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: