Batteries

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBLECKER

City/Region: San Diego
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hallelujah
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Batteries Reply with quote

I installed a new house battery and in the process I must have shorted out something and now the new battery does not function when switched to this position. I must have shorted--blown a fuse but have searched most accessible ones but can't locate any blown ones. The starting battery stills functions normally in its switched position.

Need help in locating the problem.
John Blecker
johngrayle@san.rr.com
858-488-5673 Home
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be a circuit breaker between the switch and main bus going to the console. Usually this is near the battery switch. Usually on the 25 this is 60 amps, but it may be 40 amp.s It is possible that some boats have a fuse, in line, but the vast majority of the 25's have this breaker. The 2006 era would be like this 50 amp:
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
JBLECKER

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Blecker battery problem Reply with quote

Thanks, Bob. I saw this switch and thought it only controlled the anchor. Will check further tomorrow when I go out to the boat.
Thanks very much - I will keep you posted.
John Blecker
JBLECKER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Blecker battery problem Reply with quote

I found that main circuit breaker and there doesn't seem to be a problem with this or tripped. I have tested more fuses, every one that I can find, and I tried plugging into AC and found that when I turned on the built-in battery charger the light came on when switched on in the number 2 battery position. This tells me there could be a problem with the built-in battery charger. I found the fuse for this at the battery and it is OK. So I guess I am stumped. Any other advice?
Thanks,
John Blecker
anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: battery problem Reply with quote

John: Boats are wired in so many different ways that it is hard to give advise without a schematic or being onsite.

I am assuming the new battery you hooked up is the house battery and is on 2 of your switch. If the 1/2/Both switch is wired such that you may use either 1 (starter battery) or 2(house battery) to run house circuits, and these run fine when 1 is selected but no house power when 2 is selected, then the problem is from the switch back to your new battery.

If your battery charger is a single output and works ok on 1 (starter battery) but you get a light ? on 2 (house battery) then again, depending on how this charger is wired in, you might have an open in the new battery circuit.

Check not only POS fuses and connections, but the NEG ground side wiring as well. You might have lost the ground around battery 2.

Again, I don't know your boat or type of battery charger, so this is theory only. Good luck.

thataway

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you describe, I suspect it is in the way that you wired when replacing the battery. Anchorout, may well be correct, that you left off one ground.

Go back over, and double check where each wire goes, and make a diagram--then see if that diagram has a defect in it. Also use the volt meter to check each connection. For example I would start with the battery switch, and the common ground. It is easy to forget a ground, or to put a battery positive on the wrong terminal of the switch. (I think all of us has done that at one time or another).
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you describe, I suspect it is in the way that you wired when replacing the battery. Anchorout, may well be correct, that you left off one ground.

Go back over, and double check where each wire goes, and make a diagram--then see if that diagram has a defect in it. Also use the volt meter to check each connection. For example I would start with the battery switch, and the common ground. It is easy to forget a ground, or to put a battery positive on the wrong terminal of the switch. (I think all of us has done that at one time or another).
JBLECKER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Blecker battery problem Reply with quote

Bob, John just called me from the boat as he had gone out there this morning again in hopes of finding the problem.

Well, he said that he went over all the wiring again (as you suggested) and found a ground wire that was not properly wired. That solved the problem and we are now in business again.

We thank you and look forward to seeing you at Lake Powell on the 19th of Sept. We hope to be at Oak Canyon a day or two before.

Again, thank you.

John Blecker
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you found the problem and it was easy to fix. Don't feel badly about missing a wiring. My best friend--and a very accomplished boat builder, 3 x circumnavigator, changed the batteries in his RV--the first time it was the house batteries, and he only had a small fire, and damaged the batteries. About 2 weeks later he called me and said he was going to change the engine start batteries--I advised him to not do it--take it to the dealer (my friend is 85 now)--nope, he was doing it! About an hour later, after the fire department left, he had about 17,000 dollars worth of damage to the RV, and the diesel engine!

We are at Powell, and just waiting for other C Brats! Look forward!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: