The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

book on boat wiring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: book on boat wiring Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a good book that goes over all aspects (code, best practices, tips, etc.) of boat wiring (AC and DC)?

There are lots of books for sale on Amazon, but hard to tell how useful they are without being able to sit down and scroll through them. I have the winter to research and design the electrical system for my project boat and I’ve already collected lots of articles off the web, but I’m wondering if there is a book out there that is a favorite, that folks consider a “Bible” of boat wiring. I’m looking for something that is focused on all aspects of boat wiring, geared towards readers who already have a good understanding of electricity.

Any recommendations?

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my take on several of the most popular books:

(Although my primary education was in the medical sciences, My father was a Cal Tech educated electrical engineer. So dinner conversation from the time I was a toddler was about electrical systems.)

Boatowner′s Mechanical and Electrical Manual, third edition
Nigel Calder
Maintain, repair, and improve a boats essential systems. A comprehensive guide to electrical, mechanical, and propulsion systems.

This is a classic and covers a lot of systems, as well as a good section on DC and AC wiring. It is about $20 on Amazon. Published in 2015

Understanding Boat Wiring
John C. Payne

Compact explanation of basic boat wiring functions and practices. $9 and well presented basics.

The Marine Electrical and Electronics Bible, third edition
John C. Payne

This is the definitive "Bible" of electrical theory and practical application in boats. But cost is $125!

Boatowner′s Illustrated—Electrical Handbook, second edition
Charlie Wing

Great for learning about a boat′s electrical system. This is a practical and easy to read/understand book. If I was going to spend $20 on a book on electrical systems, this probably would be it--but it is a bit dated: 2006.

The 12 volt Bible for Boats revised edition 2003 by Edwin R. Sherman

This has been the "standard" for over 30 years--but is a bit out of date by now. About $15. But Powerboater's Guide to Electrical Systems, Second Edition in 2007 is sort of an update by Sherman.

There is also a lot of information on the internet. Some things to review are the web sits by Blue Seas, the various "Battery universities", and ABYC electrical standards: This PDF simplified version has a wealth of material:

https://www.paneltronics.com/atimo_s/news/E11Excerpts.pdf

There is a lot of other material by West Marine, and several of the wiring companies--google "Boat electrical wiring".

The weakness in most books is solar, wind, and LED technology--as well as most modern cells (Lithium ion batteries and carbon foam AGM batteries ). Again the internet is your friend. Also read all of Panbo's various posts--pretty much cutting edge. I don't like the new format of the blogs as well--but the material is there. https://www.panbo.com

I don't mean to mix electrical basics with electronics--but the edge is being blurring in many modern boats--C Dory's remain simple. That is much easier!

Enjoy the trip--I find electrical and electronics fascinating.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
pcg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again Bob... thank you! I'll check all of these out.
dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, Doc Bob is spot on. I have been cleaning up and organizing the wiring on my new to me CD22 and have referenced some of the the books and they are great.

It'll be up to you to mix and match the ideas and techniques that best suit you. So much to do and so little time, eh?

CD 22 Cruiser "FRESH FISH: 2018 to present.
CD 16 Angler "OPA": 2013 to 2019.
pcg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgeorges wrote:
. So much to do and so little time, eh?

I need a 48 hour day and a brain that would last that long, day after day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: