The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Battery charger and controler
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Battery charger and controler Reply with quote

Want to get a good system to maintain and charge AGM batterys. Is the name Bluestar or blue sea something that sounds similar. Want to keep batterys I installed in good shape over winter,will be leaving them in boat with small electric heater inside cover to keep everything from deep freeze.
Blueback

City/Region: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Blueback
Photos: Blueback
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery charger and controler Reply with quote

Larry Patrick wrote:
Want to get a good system to maintain and charge AGM batterys. Is the name Bluestar or blue sea something that sounds similar. Want to keep batterys I installed in good shape over winter,will be leaving them in boat with small electric heater inside cover to keep everything from deep freeze.

Get a "Battery Tender Junior" we use them to not just charge a battery but to hold a float charge of about 13.2 volts. Its a tech chip charger and not expensive. I use them on my motorcycle too.
Geoff

3-Work at rebuilding the endangered runs of salmonids on the West Coast
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Sea Systems (www.bluesea.com) stuff is top notch.

Here's their pitch on battery chargers. They have controllers too.

"The Blue Sea Systems 25A and 40A P12 Battery Charger is a four stage, three output dry mount device designed for use in harsh environments where reliability, ease of use, and high performance are of primary importance. To this end, the P12 is assembled and tested in Bellingham, Washington, USA. Critical components, including all electronic circuitry, are of U.S. manufacture.
Advanced Multi-Stage Charging
The P12 is designed to charge three electrically independent batteries or battery banks. The P12 has the unique capability to individually move each battery out of the Absorption charging stage. This ensures batteries near their full charge do not continue to receive high constant voltages necessary in the Absorption stage. This is optimal treatment for long battery life. Charge Coordination integrates with the Blue Sea Systems family of Automatic Charging Relays (ACR) to force separation of the battery banks while the P12 is operational, to allow the batteries to individually exit the Absorption stage. After fourteen days of continuous Float, the charger will repeat the normal charge cycle to assure good battery health."

But, I have the ProNauticP 1220 (ProMariner) which is the equivalent and am happy with it.

Good hunting.

Aye

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking at the Blue Sea Systems 25A P12 Battery Charger I'll suggest an alternate. The Xantrex Truecharge2 Battery Charger 20A. While the Blue Sea certainly is good, I've used an Xantrex charger for 15 years and it still is going well.

Now, why would I suggest the Xantrex? For the 20 amp charger, it's $250 for the Xantrex, $400 for the Blue Seas. If you want the 40 amp, which is overkill, it's about $200 difference.

Either one, they're both good.

Now, please explain why the X in Xantrex is pronounced "Z"?

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience with the Blue Seas charger, but by Foggy's description it has features that most battery chargers do not have. The ability to work with the voltage sensitive relays is a plus. This appears to be a fairly new product to the US market.

I have had bad luck with the factory installed chargers--every one has gone out in a few years.

Currently I have a Mastervolt, and at the time, I put it in, I thought it was the best, but I would strongly consider the Blues Seas currently, based on Foggy's description.

I have also used the Xantrex, and it worked well (but I try and avoid items made in china if I can).

ProMariner is also good.

What heater are you going to be running? Even with my large boats in freezing temperatures, I avoided fan powered heaters, and used very small resistive only heaters, well fused, with circuits to avoid overheating or shutting off if the heater was tipped over.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
If you're looking at the Blue Sea Systems 25A P12 Battery Charger I'll suggest an alternate. The Xantrex Truecharge2 Battery Charger 20A. While the Blue Sea certainly is good, I've used an Xantrex charger for 15 years and it still is going well.

Now, why would I suggest the Xantrex? For the 20 amp charger, it's $250 for the Xantrex, $400 for the Blue Seas. If you want the 40 amp, which is overkill, it's about $200 difference.

Either one, they're both good.

Now, please explain why the X in Xantrex is pronounced "Z"?

Boris

Boris, think XEROX and the reason the "p" in swimming is silent... Shocked

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: battery charger Reply with quote

Larry,
I assume from your post that you don't currently have a 110v mounted on board battery charger.
I believe I was the first Brat early adopter of the Blue Seas P12 40 amp 4 stage charger to post about it (5 yr warranty vs 2 yr for Mastervolt) came out in Feb, and it ROCKS for me (3, 73 lb group 31 big AGMs...state of the art monitoring/algorithms/temp/adjustments/etc).
I suspect it may be way overkill for you.
Agree with Dr Bob (as usual), be careful with covered heat in your climate...many experts (I do not claim to be one) would suggest bringing your batteries into the garage (warmer than you can get the boat without the iffy electrical connections and heat) and keep them charged with trickle chargers in there. Winterize the boat plumbing.
Blue Seas does not make a trickle charger, but the West Marine 2 amp 'maintainer' often is on sale for 30% off or more and I have had good luck with them. They would save you $500 off the P12 40 amp, which I don't think you currently need.
Cheers!
John

Larry Patrick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave mentioned that his Cabelas AGMs didn't last as long as he thought they should have,he suggested Blue Sea equip I forgot name. So I installed 2 Lifeline AGMs ,but am finally getting around to the charger. I figured running the boat all season would keep batterys in good shape,but want to make sure charger is good for winter. Want the batterys to last a good while. Don't have the heater yet but plan on running a independent cord from house to keep heater on just to keep deep freeze out.
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think "deep freeze" will hurt the boat itself. I take my batteries out and bring them into the house (i.e., basement). I also remove the Nav equipment and almost everything else in and on the boat. Never had a problem.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, are you looking for a built in battery charger? If so, then you need a 110 v system on the boat--same even if you are just running an extension cord and heater (not really recommended…

You need to take care of good new batteries, from the get go. This means never discharging them more than 50%, recharging them regularly, and using a desolating system etc...
Larry Patrick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to make sure new batterys are maintained without overcharging. Have a guy running a check on everything told him if not good put a blue sea in there or the other name one. Will be hooked up to 110 from house.Boat is still on lake and good mechanic makes dock calls,just replaced burnt out stern bilge pump.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, yes, running the boat a lot during the season will keep the batteries up fairly well--but are not ideal for battery health. The best is to have the batteries on the charger (To allow that final 20% in the absorption phase of the charging to top the batteries off.) Generally running the batteries on the boat engine, charges the batteries up to about 80% (especially the house batteries.

Specify exactly what you want the mechanic to do. You will be paying a goodly amount for both Lifeline batteries (which are excellent) and the mechanic's time. A few mechanics keep up with the latest technology, but not many. You may be fortunate to have an excellent person working on your boat….

You want to understand all that is going on with your boat. You are outfitting it with quality gear, but when things go bad on the water (and if you are putting an EPRIB aboard, I assume that you are planing trips into remote areas), then you want to be able to repair anything which goes wrong!
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Battery charger and controler Reply with quote

Larry you have a 20 amp Charles American made charger. They have an excellent reputation. It has a switch for lead filled, jell cell or AGM batteries. Yamaha's engines have been reported to over charge AGM's. I recommended you install a Blue Seas ACR relay. You currently have a simple two battery manual switch. The boat has shore power and a separate breaker for the battery charger. The ACR relay should prevent over charging if I understand things right. You can buy any kind of battery charger you want but if the engine is over charging the AGM batteries I think you are unlikely to get good service out of the expensive AGM's. For that reason I would switch have gone back to regular flooded cell batteries. That you could buy for about 100 dollars each. I'm not sure for what AGM's cost that they are all they are cracked up to be. Since you already bought for the AGM's I would first get a Blue Seas ACR relay installed. I don't think you battery charger is the problem.
D.D.

thataway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave's clarification as to that your boat has a 110 volt system, and has a Charles 20 amp charger built in is very valuable.

Boating is a bit different than running a car. I find that the more the boater knows about his boat, and the technology involved, the better experience they will have boating.

The Charles Charger is excellent, and although the Blue Seas, has a few features which are appealing--the Charles is more than adequate for your boat!

As to AGM batteries, and specifically with Yamaha Outboards. AGM are more sensitive to over voltages than flooded lead acid batteries are, but not deadly sensitive as Gel cell batteries are. Andy from SIMS has installed hundreds of AGMs on Yahama motor installations, and states he has never seen a problem. Some of the confusion came from about 10 years ago, when Yamaha specifically stated that gel cells should not be used on their motors. It was eventually clarified, that they actually meant gel cells, but not AGM's. (But many equated gel cells and AGM's). I have owned Yamaha motors, and monitored their output voltages--about the same as all of the others, not as well regulated as alternators on cars, or battery chargers, but rare to exceed 14.4 volts. Most manufacturres of batteries state that they can be charged up to 2.4 to 2.45 volts per cell (x 6 for a 12 volt battery). (this is 14.4 to 14.7--I think 14.7 is too high). Real gel batteries should not be charged at more than 14.1 volts. All batteries are sensitive to temperature; this is perhaps more important in valve regulated batteries (AGM). This is the reason that some battery chargers have a temperature prob. The battery charger I use for rapid charging of the AGM's on my C Dory when running the freezer, also has temperature settings. I also monitor temp, voltage and current.

AGM batteries have some advantages--they can be mounted in the cabin or spaces with human habitation. They can be mounted on ends or sides (not upside down), they are "maintenance free"--so you don't have to check electrolytes every 30 days (or more often). I use AGM for my freezer, because they will accept a charge faster than a flooded lead acid battery. They have a lower self discharge rate. They may or may not last longer than flooded lead acid depending on use.

I would monitor the voltage of your batteries with a digital volt meter. With your use at this point, perhaps the Victron 700 or 702 (monitors two battery voltages) is overkill. You can get cheap 2 decimal point meters on Amazon for a low price. If your batteries are consistently being charged at out voltages over 14.6 volts, then I would either switch batteries, or turn on more "appliances"--most of the time, just the electronics, will be plenty.

Float voltage is a different story, but that is in the realm of chargers, not the motors.

No matter, you should be putting the batteries on the charger at least a day or so a week--that will give you better battery life. Also we don't know what parasitic drains your boat has on the batteries (Dave will know that, but it is possible, he was completely shutting off the batteries when not using it.)

A lot to learn--and there is a lot of information on the internet on just this subject of battery charging….
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Battery charger and controler Reply with quote

When we were not running the boat it was always plugged into shore power/driveway at our house. The heater was a small round grey Honeywell model. Separate adjustable heat, fan controls with tip over shutoff. Cost about 25 dollars at Wally World. We left the battery switch turned to off, battery charger, outlet breaker on as that was where heater was pulled into. Never had a any mildew issues. The Cabella batteries had warning labels about warranty being void if they received anything higher than 14.2 volts if I remember correctly. The boat came with group 27 flooded acid type Interstate batteries which Wefings installed in April of 2009. I switched the boat to AGM's after four years. It was my belief the Yamaha 150 which powers the boat was over charging the batteries caused an early demise of the AGM's.
Our R-27 Ranger Tug has four AGM's and for what ever reason there is some consensus with the Tugnuts that lead acid batteries perform just as well when you compare battery life versus cost. Some of the AGM's have not lasted as long as some people thought should. We went to AGM's in what is now Larry's boat because where they were placed above the fuel tanks its was a pain to check and add distilled water to both batteries. Hence AGM's no maintenance required. Problem being they did not last very long. They still functioned but did not end up performing as well as the folded cell type batteries. Lots of people including myself want the best for our baby. Sometime more expensive items turn out to be not the best solution for the given circumstances. When the boat was sold I recommended and offered to pay for two replacement flooded cell batteries. Larry wanted the best for his new baby. There is no shame in that.

D.D.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: