View previous topic :: View next topic  
easternshore22

City/Region: Eastern Shore
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Unreliable 2011 Suzuki DF-90 Reply with quote

Hi,

Last year I had a problem with my engine stalling (post: http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=22040).

That time the engine with 120 hours would stall, but would restart after priming with the bulb. The issue was a piece of rubber not allowing one of the valves in the low pressure pump to actually pump. That's why if I was constantly pumping with the bulb, it would work.

Last week, 175 in the engine, coming back home the engine stalled and since then would not start. I inspected the high pressure filter and saw a piece of rubber in it...I cleaned it but still would not start.

I measured the pressure between the filter and the injectors and had no pressure. I thought that maybe the pressure regulator was stuck open. I tested it with an air pump and it was ok, it would open at around 40psi.

I then opened the vapor/fuel separator where the pump is and saw that the bush on top of the pump was cracked and the filter at the bottom broken. The piece of rubber I found at the high pressure filter matched a piece missing from the bush. Clearly when the pump was on, fuel was leaking through the bush back to the reservoir.

This is an early 2011 engine serial 110001-x, the first round of this type of engines.

Can it be that there was a problem with materials in that first round of engines?

I asked for an album and will post images, I just can't see how a piece that is not moving (except for the internal parts) can break so badly.

Another note is the poor design in this engine. I have to spend $100 in gaskets and sealers to replace a $9 part. To reach the vapor/fuel separator I need to remove the manifold and other parts that use gaskets that can not be reused.

Has anybody else had this problem?

I hope that by replacing the bush and filter it would work, but I do not have confidence on this engine, who knows what will happen next.

Thanks,

Franco

Eastern Shore, MD
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love my carb engines, cold blooded and all.
easternshore22

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures:

jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I would call this unreliable. I think all brands have the potential of having some minor issue at what would be in the warranty period. Maybe it was cause from not being used enough. Maybe it was just a defective part. I would replace the part and go rack up some hours on the boat.

Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic Ethanol damage.
That and lack of use . I would bet thats the root of your issue.
We have sold many ,many Suzukis over many years. Its a great design if you take care of it properly.We use them in our rental boats, Our local crabbers and fishing guides use them,they have to be run regularly [like any small gasoline motor] and you just simply cant use ethanol and expect any small engine to work properly over time . No matter what magic additives you put in .
Marc

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

easternshore22 wrote:
Pictures:

Ethanol! Wink
digger

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with Marc. Any carbs disassembled on low use kickers have the same tan colored aluminum oxides precipitates (resembling sand.) this will plug any orifice up to the size of a needle/seat in carb float bowls -- 1/8 inch diameter+-. This indicates reactions between the ethanol and aluminum over a fairly long span of disuse. Either use it continually, or use non-ethanol fuel.
easternshore22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies.

I agree that the filter issue is due to ethanol and low hours, but the bush I do not think it is an ethanol issue.

The part that I found in the high pressure filter seemed to have been cut off the bush, similar to the lateral cut you see in the picture. It does not seem to have deteriorated through a chemical reaction. When I rub it, I do not get any rubber residue and it does not disintegrate (like the filter does). The other components in the filter are ok.

My theory is that the part was defective or not correctly assembled and due to the vibration it got cut and not its chemical properties altered.

Quote:
I don't think I would call this unreliable.

I mean my engine unreliable and not all of them. We should probably start a survey to see how many people had fuel system issues and the hours and age of engine. Manufacturers should disclose the minimum hours per week/month needed to avoid problems.

I need to see how long until the next failure, I would love to be able to use it more often, but that is not possible at this time. The option I have is to search for an ethanol free gas in my area.

Thanks,

Franco
Wefings
Dealer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuel issues will be overwhelmingly Honda careuretors followed by older pre EFI Yamaha 4 strokes . I can just look at our service department and see it regularly .
Marc
rogerar

City/Region: SW FL
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Duck
Photos: Duck
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an early 2011 90A with 460 hrs., no problems. Had to pay 300.00 for Suzuki fuel lines every 2 years as recommended in the manual to keep it in warranty, what a burn, only a couple are special.
I have had no problems with my engine, but am very wary, as my last Suzuki exploded and corroded, but at least was covered by warranty!
Thanks for the heads up.
Roger
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerar wrote:
I ...Had to pay 300.00 for Suzuki fuel lines every 2 years as recommended in the manual to keep it in warranty, what a burn, only a couple are special.

So if you buy a new Suzuki outboard and don't buy new Suzuki fuel lines every two years they don't honor the warranty? I mean, even if there is no problem with any of them? I'm all for maintenance but that sounds unusual, doesn't it?

I've also heard that putting on a Permatrim voids the warranty on a Suzuki, although I don't know for sure.

I imagine I'll re-power at some point, so I'm always interested in various details about the brands.
rogerar

City/Region: SW FL
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Duck
Photos: Duck
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manual specifies replacing fuel lines every 2 years. I don't think they can make you buy Suzuki brand hoses, but all service manual specs must be followed to keep anything in warranty. I just felt better having the official Suzuki receipt for my records, and did not price them in advance.
Thanks
Roger
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. If I had a new Suzuki I would do the same (replace the lines as they dictate). So I wasn't faulting you in any way. My engine is old enough that I just follow the maintenance schedule and procedures for my own peace of mind and desire for reliability - not for Yamaha - and as such I'm not really up on what new engines require. It sounded unusual to me, but for all I know Honda, Yamaha, Evinrude, etc. may require the same thing.
Wefings
Dealer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel lines ? Really ? Did your dealer tell you that ? Can you tell me an example of that ever happening ? Voiding warranty ? Really ?
Wow , this whole thread is strangely amusing......
Oh so little reality and so much assumption and hear say......
Marc
easternshore22

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Fuel lines ? Really ? Did your dealer tell you that ?

Marc,

The shop manual says to inspect periodically and replace every 2 years on page 0B-1. On page 0B-14, specifies the lines and locations. My dealer told me that if I do not follow to the letter that table I would be out of warranty. It did not matter since the problems started 1 month after my warranty expired.

It seems over the top to do that and from your reaction it seems that it is unnecessary.

In my underused, ethanol drunken engine I had no problems so far with the lines or any of the other items in the list provided by Suzuki, but I had with other components not mentioned that probably should be mentioned and designed in such a way to make it easy to inspect/replace.

Thanks,

Franco
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: