The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Tomcat Fishbox filling up
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westie

City/Region: Bodega Bay
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: True North
Photos: Westie
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Tomcat Fishbox filling up Reply with quote

Hi there,
I am experiencing an issue with one of my fishboxes on a Tomcat 255. My macerator pump has stopped working and I think it is because a bunch of small, hard shells fell out of my crab traps and got stuck on the pump.

Now there seems to be water filling the box. I'm assuming this is because the pump is basically jammed. Does that sounds right?

I'm thinking about opening a hole in the back of the box so I can get at the pump. It's is a tight spot. I would fit the round hatch in place of the hole.

Any other ideas?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The macerator pumps are hard to access as you know. But if at all possible try and get to the back end of the motor with a screwdriver. Most of the macerator pumps have a slot in the end of the shaft, and you can free a jam by turning a screwdriver in this slot. There are two impellers--one is rubber, and if it is compromised you may have to rebuild the pump….

Sine the boat is 8 to 9 years old, it is likely that you will have to remove the pump, and even replace it. I believe that some folks have done this from the aft, but I agree that putting in an access port (6") will be easiest. You will want to cut the hole the exact size of the inner ring of the access port (6.5"). I believe that there is no core on the back of the fish boxes, so you will just have to seal the outer edge of the plate rim and the screws you use to hold it in place.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had both pumps fail early on, I think due to freezing. Rather than replace them I disconnected the hoses and let the fishboxes drain into the bilge where the bilge pumps did their thing. I used the boxes for storage only however so there was no shells, fish guts etc. draining out. This worked for me and as far as I know for the new owner.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've replaced the macerator pumps in each fish box twice (4 pumps total). I started out using the Johnson macerator pumps but I couldn't seem to get more than 1-2 seasons out of the dang things. After a ton of research online in which I found that almost all fishermen have similar problems with almost all macerator pumps, I replaced them both with Whale gulper grouper diaphragm pumps. These are claimed by most to last a lot longer. My have been in for 1 and 2 years so far so we'll see how it goes. These pumps are a good bit slower than the macerator pumps they replaced but they are designed to pump out sewage without clogging so they can handle scales etc.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing to try is forcing water into the outlet. The macerator for the head on my boat seems to seize up if not used frequently and the garden hose with a nozzle stuck into the discharge gets it working every time so far. The hose at the dock has a lot of pressure so I need to stand back when I do it, but it works for me. Free and easy and nothing to lose.
Westie

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great suggestion TyBoo. I haven't blasted it yet. I'll try that before getting out the power tools.
chriscarrera

City/Region: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Carrera
Photos: Carrera
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check the fuse to the macerator, mine always blow if met with any kind of resistance in the impeller.
Westie

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked everywhere for a fuse and cannot find one. I've called the dealer who wired it when new....looked and looked. The fuse is a true mystery to me.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuse on mine, was back by the batteries, and was in one of those rubber capped blade fuse inserts. They may be different on each boat, since there were many ways the batteries, and wiring was done aft--depending on if the area under the seat was a bait tank, storage well, or battery holder. As I recollect, there was a separate fuse for each of the macerators, and they will blow if the macerator loads up. The back flush is an excellent idea. But check for the fuse first. Trace the wire back from the switch to the battery, and I suspect you will find it. I don't remember if it was 20 or 30 amps. (The manual specs a 20 amp fuse, and #10 wire at least.) I have one on the RV, and I use #8 wire and a 30 amp fuse, for times I don't have a "Dump" station.
chriscarrera

City/Region: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Carrera
Photos: Carrera
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fuses are the same as thataway, just follow wires from macerator.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: TC255 fishboxes filling with water...Thank Goodness! Reply with quote

My fuses are the same as Westie's...ain't got none.
Instead have a Blue Seas Weatherdeck switch panel by the transom which includes pop-out circuit breakers that pop out into the opaque bubble when tripped. They don't look like regular circuit breakers. Push the bubbles to reset. Does it look like this?

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-sea-systems--weatherdeck-waterproof-breaker-panels--P009_273_003_519

I don't know the ABYC rules (Dr. Bob does), but I assumed that if you have the circuits protected by breakers within x feet of the battery then you don't need fuses in addition to breakers on the same circuit.

I also have a 30A fuse in the fuse box under the helm labeled 'pumps'. I assume it's wired to the freshwater and sewage macerator pumps, since the rawwater washdown and 2 fishbox macerator pumps seem to run off the transom breaker/switch panel. The bilge pumps run off a 24/7 15A breaker on the battery switch box. Those are the only 7 pumps on the boat that I am aware of, except when The Blonde is wearing hers. (They ding the nonskid, so I discourage it, but she refuses to be outdone by other Blondes on a 6 mile summer beach hike).
I hope that during your prepurchase research on this site that you came to realize that the TC255 fishboxes were designed to fill with rainwater, or seawater if a couple of Good Ol' Boys are standing by the scuppers. Rainwater, seawater, spilled beer, fine wine, Heron urine, unleaded gas...Tom Cat fishboxes enthusiastically suck 'em all down. If your fishboxes fill with water, then you know they are working properly. Over the millennium, many theories have been proposed on why Tom Cat fishboxes ingest water better than fish. Consider changing the title of your post to "Tom Cat fishboxes filling with water...Thank Goodness!" to make it easier for folks searching the site regarding this subject.
Like Pat, we disconnected at the macerator pumps (mine have an inline pre filter so you might want to check for that) and buy fillets at the fish market.
Cheers!
John

cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever thought of putting and eductor system in for the fishboxes?

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagged for reference.

We are also looking into the idea of making a livewell out of one of our fishboxes.
trpsurf

City/Region: Pasadena
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Oski
Photos: C-Pelican
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope not to completely derail the thread, but I have always wanted fishboxes on my 24' Tomcat. On my boat the Fuel tanks are in the location where the fish boxes are located on the newer models.

My question is - on a Tomcat 25' where are the fuel tanks? Are they moved forward under the cabin area?

If, God Forbid, my fuel tanks were to be replaced, It would be interesting to think about building in some fish boxes, as I would love the extra storage below deck. Also, sliding the fuel tanks forward would reduce the amount of weight in the aft of the boat.

Redbaronace-
I love the idea of the below deck live wells. If you end up doing this, I would love to see your progress. I plumbed the area below the seat in my 24' and modified it to create a divided bait tank. It holds about 50 gallons of water and keeps bait alive all day.

24' Tomcat- Oski
22' Cruiser- C-Pelican
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpsurf wrote:
I hope not to completely derail the thread, but I have always wanted fishboxes on my 24' Tomcat. On my boat the Fuel tanks are in the location where the fish boxes are located on the newer models.

My question is - on a Tomcat 25' where are the fuel tanks? Are they moved forward under the cabin area?

If, God Forbid, my fuel tanks were to be replaced, It would be interesting to think about building in some fish boxes, as I would love the extra storage below deck. Also, sliding the fuel tanks forward would reduce the amount of weight in the aft of the boat.

Redbaronace-
I love the idea of the below deck live wells. If you end up doing this, I would love to see your progress. I plumbed the area below the seat in my 24' and modified it to create a divided bait tank. It holds about 50 gallons of water and keeps bait alive all day.

Sure will keep you posted on the livewell / fishbox if we ever create it.

The basic idea would be to use the port side fish box as a live well and somehow plum the water intake from the existing raw water washdown which is already on that side. We would drain using the pvc with holes in it (like factory live well) to determine water height while still keeping the macerator and drain which is already existing. Main thing is the plumbing of fresh water and the aerator / switch for the livewell.

We fished for halibut and ling cod this weekend and ended up putting the halibut, lingcod and flounder in starboard fishbox and using the port side for fish which we might use for bait alive (sanddabs). This was in addition to the frabil (mini battery operated) livewell we used for smaller bait.

Can you please show photos of your 24 livewell.

Last edited by redbaronace on Mon May 18, 2015 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: