The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Two Liturgies for a Boat Renaming Ceremony

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tashmuit

City/Region: Truro, Cape Cod
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Otter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Two Liturgies for a Boat Renaming Ceremony Reply with quote

I joined C-Brats November 2003 as "Noo Yawk" with a 16' Cruiser. I belatedly remembered my name and password after I'd re-registered as "tashmuit" with the 22'. As they say in Brooklyn, "Ayyy. Go figga".

We bought a 2004 22' cruiser last August, and keeping Mark Twain's definition of Life in mind: ("Just one damn thing after another"), I finally finished refitting, refurbishing, upgrading, etc., and am finally ready to put the boat in the water. But I wanted to put her in the water properly . . .

Sailors are superstitious for a reason. I wanted to be sure the boat would make a happy transition after having been attached for so many years to her former owners. I thought that all my fussing and spiffing would be enough - but, as the former owner liked to say "I'm a belt and suspenders man", I wanted a sure-fire plan 'B". So I collaborated with a Minister and a Reverend who are friends of mine, and we came up with two ceremonies: A Christian one (them) and Mildly Pagan one (me). I thought Brats in a similar situation could use our ceremony as a template or springboard for their own.

First, you need champagne and flowers - just like you were trying to please a lady because a boat is a "she". And if any of you guys out there ever forgot an anniversary or birthday, you know the toxic emotions that can produce, and if your boat is able to feel unappreciated, hoo-eee. I didn't want to take chances. A boat is a lady and must be treated accordingly. And don't be stingy with the champagne. No cheap stuff and POUR it on the boat.

Second, you need flowers (see above). And again, don't stinge. REAL flowers. As much color as you can muster (gardenias would be great but let's not get carried away). We had sunflowers, pink phlox, blue hydrangeas, orange and yellow zinnias, pink and yellow dahlias, white roses . . .

Third, I tied an oak branch to the mooring light mast. Oak trees are symbols of strength and continuity and was the favorite medium of the Olympian gods and Druids for communicating with mere mortals. It felt right - so I did it.

So here is the ceremony we used (and now begins the serious stuff):

THE BLESSING AND RENAMING OF THE VESSEL KITTIWAKE
Sunday, August 9, 2015 North Truro, Massachusetts

THE DENAMING CEREMONY

In the name the sailors who have enjoyed this vessel in the past, and in the name of the sailors who will enjoy her in the future, we call upon the Creator God of wind and the water, and the Ruler of the sea and all that is in it; we humbly request Your blessing today.

Say: "LORD GOD OF SEA AND SKY, HEAR OUR PRAYER"

Hear us Lord, ruler of all that moves in or upon the waves. We offer our thanks for the protection you have afforded this vessel in the past. We are grateful that she has always found shelter from hazards and storms, and has enjoyed safe passage to us.

Hear us now as we make our humble supplication, that the name "Wanderer", whereby this vessel has been known, be struck and removed forever.

Peter: " I so strike and remove forever the name "Wanderer"..

Further Lord, we ask that as we present her for Your blessing with the name "Kittiwake", You will bestow on her the special blessing and full protection she has previously known. We rededicate this vessel to Your care fully knowing that she shall be subject to the immutable laws of the wind and sea which YOU have established.

SAY: "LORD OF THE SEA AND SKY, HEAR OUR PRAYER"

From Psalm 107:

Some went down to the sea in ships, doing business on great waters; they saw the deeds of the Lord, his wondrous works in the deep.

For he commanded and raised the stormy wind, which lifted up the waves of the sea.

They mounted up to heaven, then went down to the depths; their courage melted away in their calamity;

They reeled and staggered like drunkards, and were at their wit's end.

Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and the Lord brought them out from their distress;

The Lord made the storm be still, and the waves of the sea were hushed.

Then they were glad because they had quiet, and the Lord brought them to their desired haven.

Let them thank the Lord for his steadfast love, for his wondrous works to humankind.

THE BLESSING OF THE VESSEL

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters."

"And God called the dry land Earth, and the gathering together of the waters Seas. And God saw that it was good."

We thank you Almighty God for the gift of water and the gift of our lives upon the water.

We ask your blessing, Lord God, on the "Kittiwake" and all who sail in her.

Make her a place of refuge and refreshment, a source of strength and joy and fulfillment, and a vehicle for adventure and exploration.

Protect her Captain and her passengers; be with them in times of elation and in times of trial; be with them during the quiet watches of the night and the glory of each breaking day; give them strength and wisdom all the days of their lives.

SAY: "LORD OF SEA AND SKY, HEAR OUR PRAYER."

THE NAMING OF THE VESSEL "KITTIWAKE". (A woman must do this).

Maureen: "I give a new name to this vessel: KITTIWAKE!"
(POUR CHAMPAGNE ON THE BOW. DON'T BE STINGY)

May she know fair winds and bring good fortune to all who voyage on her. May the Lord always guide her and protect her from harm; support her hull on inviting seas, guide our hands upon the helm toward pleasant places, and always bring her home to port.

All: May the MASTER OF ALL THAT IS shine upon us and be gracious to our prayers, and give us peace.

AMEN.

..........................................................................................................................
PETER BURGESS' RENAMING CEREMONY

For thousands of years men and women have ventured upon the waters of the Earth. They depended on their vessels for safety and refuge on smooth water and perilous seas, to nurture growth of commerce and pleasure, and discover new things and distant places. For this reason, ships and boats are referred to as "she".

Formerly known as "Wanderer", this vessel has voyaged to many, many places: Among the Florida Keys, the Chesapeake, the Gulf of Maine, the Hudson and Mohawk Rivers, the Erie Canal, through the Inland Passage, and Lake Havatsu - and most recently, overland from Maryland to Truro, Cape Cod. She is welcome here. We have a dance or two in store for the old girl yet in the waters around Cape Cod and the Islands.

Now we welcome "Wanderer" to our home port with a new name. "Kittiwake" is a pelagic gull that rarely comes to shore; faster and more graceful than a mere gull, it skims and soars and dances far out at sea. It is no ordinary bird. It has speed and grace and profound stamina. It is a worthy name for this boat.

SAY: "TO ALL WHO HAVE SAILED ON THE WATERS OF THE EARTH, WE HAIL YOU, WE ASK YOU TO BLESS OUR CEREMONY TO RENAME THIS VESSEL "KITTIWAKE".

SAY: "HAIL TOI THE SAILORS OF OLD! HAIL TO THE GOD OF SKY AND SEA!"

We humbly ask you to continue to bless this vessel. May your blessing continue to ride with us upon her keel; may her hull resist the pressure of heavy seas and
contrary winds. We ask that you bless her with long life upon the water.

SAY: "HAIL TOI THE SAILORS OF OLD! HAIL TO THE GOD OF SKY AND SEA!"

Today we retire the name "Wanderer", full of honor, and give this vessel a new name, and send her into a new world of wind and water that she may care for Peter and Maureen and all who sail in her. We ask the sailors of old and the mood of God that is the Sea, to accept Kittiwake as her new name, to support and guide her passages over land and the water, to preserve her from peril, and guide her to port when the voyage is done.

APPLY CHAMPAGNE TO BOW. DON'T BE STINGY!

SAY: "HAIL TO THE SEA AND SKY AND THE SAILORS WHO CAME BEFORE US! WELCOME KITTIWAKE TO HER NEW HOME AND LIFE UPON THE WATERS OIF THE EARTH."

AMEN.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, our denaming is a bit simpler...i am the PNW Rev, so you can take my word for it! It goes like this:

"In the name of all who have sailed aboard this ship in the past, and in the name of all who may sail aboard her in the future, we invoke the ancient gods of the wind and the sea to favor us with their blessing today.
"Mighty Neptune, king of all that moves in or on the waves; and mighty Aeolus (pronounced EE­oh­lus), guardian of the winds and all that blows before them:
"We offer you our thanks for the protection you have afforded this vessel in the past. We voice our gratitude that she has always found shelter from tempest and storm and enjoyed safe passage to port.
"Now, wherefore, we submit this supplication, that the name whereby this vessel has hitherto been known (_____), be struck and removed from your records.
"Further, we ask that when she is again presented for blessing with another name, she shall be recognized and shall be accorded once again the selfsame privileges she previously enjoyed.
"In return for which, we rededicate this vessel to your domain in full knowledge that she shall be subject as always to the immutable laws of the gods of the wind and the sea.
"In consequence whereof, and in good faith, we seal this pact with a libation offered according to the hallowed ritual of the sea."

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first boat naming process, for a 16' wood planked
Peterbourough with a 10 HP Johnson, was a lot simpler.

I said, "Hey, Mike. Paint 'Bow Movement' on it."

Aye.

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...

Foggy wrote:
My first boat naming process, for a 16' wood planked
Peterbourough with a 10 HP Johnson, was a lot simpler.

I said, "Hey, Mike. Paint 'Bow Movement' on it."

Aye.
Noo Yawk

City/Region: Truro
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kittiwake
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each to his/her own. Whatever floats your boat.
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a variation of the rude one sentence grace I learned at age 18: "Rub a dub dub. There goes my new boat." But, I avoid renaming boats.
jimicliff

City/Region: Mount Dora
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ocklawaha Queen
Photos: Ocklawaha Queen
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Rename ceremony Reply with quote

God I love "White People"
Chester

City/Region: home
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rename ceremony Reply with quote

jimicliff wrote:

żżżAs a boat name???
Chester

City/Region: home
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rename ceremony Reply with quote

Chester wrote:
jimicliff wrote:

żżżAs a boat name???

edit; Not a criticism, just a question.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my vote for the best C-Brat thread of all time...

"...we're all in the same boat..."
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chester, you'd have to know Jimi to understand! And I don't think it's a boat name! lol.

Naming ceremony's? First one I just went with Foggy's advice, and told my label maker what to print! The second one, I just kept the name as it fit so well! Mr. Green Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: