The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Porta Potti Replacement on the CD-22
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just updated my "Enclosed Head" photo folder. I am extremely low-tech and have successfully avoided Porta Potties since "the incident" years ago. My present solution wouldn't work for everybody, but the gentleman's urinal aspect might be of interest to others.

I suppose whether it works in boats other than the CD 16 depends on the height of the cockpit coaming above the splash well, the size of the drain holes in the splash well, and the proportions of the user.

I enlarged my drain holes and a piece of garden hose fits through easily. The gadget is extremely easy to use, quick to rinse out, and stores in the splash well. It does require a cockpit cover if used in a busy anchorage, but I usually have my cover up. I use it even in remote areas because it is quicker and more convenient than the contortions normally required. Beth is jealous. As a safety bonus, there is no "hanging overboard" required when single handing.

I haven't been able to convince Beth to try one of the "stand up" lady's gadgets. I know from past experience that if I suggest something, and she is sceptical, she will resist even trying it, and if tried, it will never work. For the idea to work, the suggestion must come from somebody else, preferably a woman. Anyway, I've reduced the amount of liquid in my "Enclosed Head," making 10 day marina-free cruises possible.

Everybody who buys Poo Powder has to put a little in a glass and add water. It's amazing stuff.

Mark

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2415&id=WP_20180322_10_02_34_Pro_1&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interesting ideas out there. However, my wife and I both use our porta potty as a toilet. That means both numbers by each. Heading ashore to take care of business isn't always available. Nor is hanging out over the gunnel always ideal either. I laugh at those that have the porta potties but for whatever reason refuse to use them. To each their own I suppose. (I guess I like to pee in my backyard once in a while too. But why, other than I can! LOL.) But they are easy to use, and easy to dump when facilities are available. Colby
jack keifer

City/Region: Boise
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Squirt
Photos: C-Squirt
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Porta potti replacement Reply with quote

Lots of comments here. So l'll try to keep it short. We have had C-Dorys for 18 years and on our 2nd Thetford potty. Essentially both have been the same except the first one had paper holder, so now paper goes in a coffee can. The current one is a 25111, with an electric water pump and waste pour out spout. The means we can dump most anywhere without need for a pump out station. It has a 4 gal water capacity and 5.5 for waste. 16 1/2 in high, just right for us. Works well for #1 & 2. Just fill the bowl with more water for a 2. We use plenty of deoderizer in the waste tank & biodegradable paper. First one had to get replaced because bowl seal started leaking and bowl wouldn't hold water anymore. Pot was too old and parts no longer available. I make sure to empty it right after a trip, flush it well, and add the deoderizer, and a bit of fresh water immediately. They have served us well.
Easyvictor.14

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Easy Victor
Photos: Easy Victor
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy two of the 5 gallon Dometic potties, carry one fully assembled, and bring the bottom half of the other one. When primary fills up, swap to secondary. This will give you a week or more for a couple.
Works for me!

1981 T Craft 26 center console
1981 Silverton 34
1979 Chapparal 187
Many, many other small aluminum, wood and fiberglass toys!!!
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I ordered and got that Dometic 975, however.... you sure need to have a small butt for that small seat, and well, our butts aren't so small! Mr. Green Took it back to a nearby Camping World and no problem getting a refund. Was going to look at the Thetford 550P, but they did not have one in stock, so ran a few miles down the road to Cabella's, who did have a Thetford Campa Potti XT. Now I can't tell what the difference is between the XT and the 550, and Thetfords customer service couldn't tell me either (as he was just reading the same online description I was... Sad But everything about the XT was quite comparable to my old 565. Including the seat size. (Maybe 1/2" shorter in length at most, but that's still better than how small the Dometic was!) The XT does stand almost an inch higher at 16.5". But as it is, I have 1/2" pink foam board under my bunk for condensation control so with the 1/2" lift on my center bunk board around the edges, the new potti fits just about perfect. The XT does not have the little holding tank level gauge, but then I never used that anyway. So back in business. And for anyone else that is looking for a replacement for the 565, if you can handle 1/2" taller, the Campa Potti XT fits and has the same flush, fill and dump mechanisms as the original 565 did.
Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving this thread as I ran out of capacity with three adults on the boat. I would like a porta potti that fits under the frond berth but is more acceptable in caoacity. I have looked at all thereford options but dont see any that will fit with 5 Gallons. The Dometic sounds reasonable but the reviews are terrible including leaking etc. For me a leaking portable potty is a horrific thought.

Ideas? My Venture fits 15 and a half inches tall (preferable 15") with 15 wide (if I slide it forward a tad), length is no concern.

"And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. " -JFK
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a 25? Wink Laughing
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody has previously said to buy two porta-pottis so you have two lower units to improve capacity.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same concerns as Ordutch with the size limitations under the birth in the cuddy. I bought the larger potty and keep it under the jump seat in the stern. This allows us to us it at night without disturbing the bed. The small potty under the birth is only used during the day if we need to get out of sight.

Regards, Rob

Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a larger capacity portal potty that stays in the cockpit. My wife refuses to sleep with her head above the potty. I bought a floater cushion this winter that I will attach to the potty so it can be used as an extra seat. It's nicer to attend to ones morning business out in the fresh air anyway. We both also have pee bottles and my wife uses a female urination devise with success.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Pandion

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Theta, but prefer a cut-out bleach bottle for #1. Not much aim required.

Andy Ryan

Jazzmanic

Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordutch1975 wrote:
Reviving this thread as I ran out of capacity with three adults on the boat. I would like a porta potti that fits under the frond berth but is more acceptable in caoacity. I have looked at all thereford options but dont see any that will fit with 5 Gallons. The Dometic sounds reasonable but the reviews are terrible including leaking etc. For me a leaking portable potty is a horrific thought.

Ideas? My Venture fits 15 and a half inches tall (preferable 15") with 15 wide (if I slide it forward a tad), length is no concern.
I was the brat who complained about the "leaking" on the first page. But I need to clarify, the leaking was fresh water in the top half of the unit, not the "black water" in the bottom half (holding tank). For some reason I could not get the cap to seal properly, causing the flushing mechanism to not work properly with small amounts of water dripping out the cap spout and down the side. However the unit fit perfectly under the v-berth cushion.

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzmanic would you buy it again ?

It looks like the unit is taller than the thereford that came with the venture. I’m 6’4” and 250lbs - I feel quite ridiculous on this unit and like I’m using my kids old training potty. Not to mention uncomfortable... lol
Jazzmanic

Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordutch1975 wrote:
Jazzmanic would you buy it again ?

It looks like the unit is taller than the thereford that came with the venture. I’m 6’4” and 250lbs - I feel quite ridiculous on this unit and like I’m using my kids old training potty. Not to mention uncomfortable... lol

I tried 2 different upper units and still experienced the same water leak problem, so no, I wouldn't buy again. But other brats have had no problems with them. I don't know why we did. But it is pretty stout. And it is the unit with the higher capacity holding tank so it is taller. YMMV

Peter
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fill cap on the top tank of the porta potti does not seal tight on my unit either. However, looking at the cap, I believe that this is by design to vent the top tank. My solution is only to fill the top tank no higher than the bottom of the filler neck.

Mine flushes with no problem, but sometimes the first couple of pumps don't produce much water. It takes a couple of pumps to get the water to pickup especially if the unit hasn't been flushed for awhile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: