The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Porta Potti Replacement on the CD-22
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject: Porta Potti Replacement on the CD-22 Reply with quote

Looked through a few of the old threads, but didn't really see anything answering my question. I have a 2007 CD-22 that came with the Thetford Porta Potti 565 Model 28527. It appears this particular unit is no longer made. I am looking at replacing my original Porta Potti soon and wondering if anybody has already found a replacement in production that fits? Ie, 15 1/2" tall. My wife and I do go out on several trips a year where we are on the boat for 5 or 6 days, so going to a smaller unit isn't really sufficient. And of course a larger unit will not fit in the V-berth location. Thanks in advance for any answers. Colby
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We started using one of these units this year on our 19 and it works great. It is the larger size (5 gallon) unit and fits perfectly.

http://www.dometic.com/USA/MS-11346-Marine/PG-11395-Toilet-Systems/PG-11399-Gravity-Flush-Toilets-and-Bidets/MD-144196-SaniPottie-970-Series-Toilets/SK-145183-SaniPottie-975-portable-toilet-gray

They do also make a pumpout fitted version that we used in our previous boat and it also worked well for us. The last two thetfords we had leaked and were not as nice to use. But I do wish that new curve unit would fit the space because it looks like a nice unit.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks Greg. That does look like the perfect size, and I think it may even have just a bit larger holding tank, which is what we'd like. I'll have to check into pricing and dealers of where to find it. Colby
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colby
I had the same toilet that Greg recommended. It worked and fit well in the CD-22 that we sold this spring. It's a good unit however DO NOT over pump the air pressure. They will crack! Bought mine from West Marine and it cracked a month out of warranty. They said they would replace it if I brought it back to the store. Fair enough....but I did not want to do the one hour drive. So I asked for a tube of epoxy. Stop drilled the crack and epoxied it. No further problems but I was very careful not to pump it up more than recommended.

Always got a reaction when I mentioned that I blew up the porta potty!

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the same Porta-Potti that Greg linked to. Perfect size but the "flush button" and water cap is a PITA. It constantly leaks, the rubber O ring does not seat/seal properly, therefore, the air loses pressure and it doesn't flush without a lot of fiddling about. I bought a new upper half of the PP and it doesn't work any better. I'm looking for another model next year. Thumbs Down

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also used to have a small porta potty but on cruises of any length the tank was simply too small. We finally went with a Thetford "Curve" and are very happy with it - (well, as happy as a porta potty can make you). It is tall so the v-berth insert will not fit when the potty is up forward, but we move the potty out into the cabin or cockpit at night anyway. I understand the Venture has a bit more headroom in the forward cabin and we find the potty is still quite usable when up forward. The Curve has an AA battery powered flush. You push a button and water streams out around the bowl. I was definitely skeptical about this aspect but to my amazement it works quite well and the batteries last. I especially like the big holding tank. Dumping it has been no problem at all and no mess either. My wife made a nice fabric cover with a foam top that we can put over it so it hides what it really is.

http://www.thetford.com/product/porta-potti-curve/

Rob
Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after being on the hook for several days in Desolation Sound last week, thoughts of "moving on up" to a bigger boat complete with marine head, shower and much more storage has been stirring in my brain. After having to use the porta-potti for No. 2, I swore that I would not be doing that again and have been trying to come up with a better solution without having to pay for a bigger boat. After reading this thread and doing a little searching on the web, I think I've come up with a solution for the next time we plan on spending more than a few days on the hook out in the wilderness.

Hassock Portable Toilet

Since we already use one of these for both myself and the Mrs. for No. 1, (Little John) I feel our solid waste dilemma might finally be resolved. What do you think? Anyone use the Hassock and if so, please share your experiences.

Peter
C-Dancer
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Peter, that "Loo" seems like it would be a much cheaper and efficient fix, but one would still have to deal with the trash bags then. And if in rough water like we were last week, I don't know if I would want that stuff splashing around outside of a contained holding tank. Then again, one can use it for #1 and dump it overboard or behind a tree somewhere. Smile For #2, just stick a bag in it, and then store it out of the way for later disposal. Still, just saying that means you have a bag of crap laying around somewhere....
The Curve does look to be the nicest of what's out there for our boats. But I really prefer one to fit in it's space. We too move the potti at night, but during the day leave it in the berth. Only removing the center cushion when needing the potti's use. Sometimes, many times using the berth during the day to nap or just another position to relax/read.
Regarding the pump on the Dometic, I don't see myself flushing often, and then only putting minimal air in it. (After all, the flush is just filling the holding tank up also. Think of some of the newer urinals out there that are waterless. Really no reason to flush pee, if one cleans the bowl out when dumping....) I've found some of these on Amazon, for around $140. Probably more expensive then they are worth, but that seems to be how it goes. Colby
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little vaseline or other more suitable lube on the water cap o-ring goes a long way and our two held pressure for many hours at least and the girls really like that potty and use it instead of shore options quite a bit. No problems but yes that seal is important.

I don't use the potty myself at all and would only go there in an emergency. I pee in a mug and dump overboard and just paddle to shore if we are anchored out and use shore facilities or minimum impact #2 techniques on wilderness shores. It is not unusual for me to paddle out even in the dark of night for a shore break and honestly some of those night paddles (motors) are really a neat experience that I would miss with a real head on board. We had a 25 and I still went to shore the same way and left that little toy for the girls. Until we move up in retirement to a trawler with a real long-bowl unit, I am just not interested. I hear you Peter and your small boat days are wearing thin as are a few others around here.

Greg
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia wrote:

I don't use the potty myself I still went to shore the same way and left that little toy for the girls.
Greg

Reminded me when we bought our Campion. The guy I bought it from had his new boat in the same marina. About a week after we got it he confided in me that he never used the pottie, just went overboard and his girls used the sink which discharged directly overboard. Well,,,, we had never used the sink yet but if my wife had done dishes in it and then ate on them,,,, I think he would probably still be in the lake somewhere. Crook Angry

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, thanks for the link. I have struggled with the same issue (#2). Still not perfect, but a bucket and a triple bag system is working so far for this trip. Learned it is less hassle if you don't pee into the bag. A squarish Kirkland Laundry soap bucket fits in the back under the splash well, and the results dispose into a the garbage, just like disposable baby diapers. No Portta Potti to empty and wash out, not spills either. The plastic bags are held in place with a bungee cord for each one. The inner, active one gets Zip tied, and reused several times for each bag. OK, TMI for sure but everybody does it Laughing

By the way, it was nice to get to spend some time with you guys, and Thanks again for sharing the Alaskan.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys. I was thinking of using the Hassock in this way. Use it solely for No. 2, no liquid. Make sure it's double bagged and use kitty litter or similar product provided by the same company that makes the loo (Reliance), use Reliance deodorizer, tie it up tight and maybe keep it in the splash well until I can properly dispose of it. For No. 1, continue using the Little John. Store the Hassock in the same spot under the V-Berth. Therefore, no gross watery mess, no porta-potti clean-up, no dilemma as to where to dispose. I'll let you know how it all works out the next time we're out in the wilderness on the hook.

Oh and Harvey, it was great spending time with you and the others in Desolation Sound. Be safe out there.
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:26 am    Post subject: Cheap toilet Reply with quote

I have used a 6 gallon white bucket with double plastic bag liners for years at work in the Prudhoe Bay oilfield. It works great. It even had a toilet seat attached.

I applied the same idea to one in my boat for no.2 only. The boat model has a lid so it can be used to sit on while fishing.
Cheep and effective. A blue roll of shop paper towels work well also. Very absorbent for any no.1.

My 1st mate, Mrs. R, uses the porta-potti for her numbers.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, finally had to pull the plug and order a new potty. The old Thetford already had some tape to hide cracks on the lid, but when the seat developed a crack....I thought about trying to epoxy it or plastic weld, but just decided it wasn't worth it. The old one has served well... Went with Greg's suggestion of the Dometic 975. Had some confusion about a manufacturers part number, as some places showed the last four as 9606, while Dometic was showing 9506. But all appear to be the same toilet, so I'm assuming it has something to do with extra parts like the hold down brackets, which I do not need. Found the cheapest price at Camping World for $105. Hoping this is a good replacement for the old one.
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Best of the bunch if you want a 15" toilet Reply with quote

I have the full sized version of the C-Head by Cap. This one is the short model (fifth and sixth models down the list plus there is a video of the short model):
http://www.c-head.com/Stock.html
These are the best made non-holding tank or tanklet toilet you can buy. They major work. I would cut down the V filler cushion from the bottom to make the full sized work if it were me. A thin piece of firm foam would be fine I think. Using the full sized version with gallon water bottles is very easy plus no as in no smell. I can go weeks on the poo can and it is also easy to empty or just cap and toss. I know, not legal and all that but you can store and dispose of the remains anyway you wish, I use the composting top for that purpose and in two or three months you have potting soil for the non-edible plants.
Bob Jarrard

Last edited by bobjarrard on Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: