The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Suzuki 90 hp corrision problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gene&Mary

City/Region: Seattle/Center Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Linnea
Photos: Linnea
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Suzuki 90 hp corrision problem Reply with quote

I am starting a new thread (not the first one) on this subject because I didn't want to hijack the thread on the Suzuki 140hp engine Anode assistance and I'm still angry at Suzuki for my having to replace my 2005 Suzuki 90 hp due to its corrosion problem.

While looking at the links that Bob Austin posted on the anode assistance question, one of the answers was this....the bolding is mine-

Tap them with a wood dowel and a hammer to break them loose. Just change mine this week. They will have aluminum oxide all over them looking like salt crystals. This kind of maked them stick a bit. You wont hurt them. When removing the actual anode, I found that it was best to grab the old anode with some channel locks and turn. tap the bolt out of the old anode with a flat punch if they are stuck. Clean the bolts up after you remove them. What year is this motor? If it is pre 2007, you should look at getting the exhaust plug removed from the engine mount. It is a ferrous metal plug in an aluminum housing, that will erode the aluminum to the point of eating a complete hole through it. It rots from the inside out, by galvanic corrosion. It's not a matter of if, it is when it will rot the engine mount out. Suzuki will not acknowledge a defect and attrinutes it to corrosion. Ya think? They do not put the plug there on 2007+ models. No problem tho, yea right. The plug is not needed, and I just had mine welded shut. I had to drill the plugs out, because they were already corroded in place. Only 260 hours on my motors and they are 05's. I will attach a couple of links to show what I am referring to.
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-for...em-anyone-else

http://www.navagear.com/2007/11/01/my-johnsons-fixed/

In my efforts to get Suzuki to accept responsibility and pay some costs, I have gone the BBB in California (worthless) and the WA State Attorney General (also worthless).

My question is, is the situation described above the same as the corrosion problem previously discussed in the C Brats? I believe it is.

I am thinking my next step may be to go to one of consumer investigators on the local TV stations and see if I can interest them in my problem. Does anyone have any other ideas on who I might go to for help?

Thanks
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Suzuki outboard corrosion Reply with quote

Did you have your motor at Master Marine ?
Did they help with the problem?

Very unfortunate situation ( manufacturer (suzuki) puts a ferrous metal item in the water jacket) where the consumer is at the losing end of this stupidity. Anyone that has any experience about galvanic corrosion would know this is a REAL no-no.

Class action lawsuit would be ideal, if you could find someone to take it on. But a long road to satisfaction.

Sorry about the bummer situation,

alan

Commander 30 Sportfish (sold)
Olympic 26 XL (sold)
Glassply 19 (sold)
Olympic 23 (sold)
Bayliner 38 Motoryacht (sold)
Olympic 20 (sold)
Fiberform 16 (sold)
Olympic 18 (sold)
nordicstallion

City/Region: Crescent City
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Rylee Rose
Photos: Rylee Rose
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where exactly is this plug located? I have a 2005 df70. The first of your links showed nothing.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have it TIG welded closed and be done with it if were my motor. It won't leak and if done right will be a lifetime repair.
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
C-Dory Year: 2007
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked this out largely because I am moving from dry storage to saltwater marine mooring. Both my mechanic and Everett dealer I talked to recommended always flushing after using, and waiting until a problem developed. Welding afterwards ( I assume fairly quickly ) would cost far less than replacing parts, and may not ever be needed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: