Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best use I can think of for cushion type preservers is to use them for fenders when rafting up with other boats or being forced to use a poorly cushioned dock. Joe.
Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~C wrote:
strap around neck, that's how I instruct bro in-law...but I usually replace my throwables with cement blocks when he's onboard Smile

I assume you have him use those for seat "cushions" too! Laughing

CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fisherman,
I just read all the posts on this incident, and went out and checked my throwable cushions. You are correct, mine have a picture showing how to wear one! I tried one on. I am 5'7" and it would work for me. If I were 6'4" I don't think it would work. My cushion also shows an alternate illustration of one loop around the leg and the other around the opposite arm. Good post-gets people to thinking.

doc

City/Region: Auke Bay
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Bella Rey
Photos: C-Alaska
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked mine out today and found no instrucions on use.
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAVU wrote:
Mr. Fisherman,
I just read all the posts on this incident, and went out and checked my throwable cushions. You are correct, mine have a picture showing how to wear one! I tried one on. I am 5'7" and it would work for me. If I were 6'4" I don't think it would work. My cushion also shows an alternate illustration of one loop around the leg and the other around the opposite arm. Good post-gets people to thinking.

I agree, at the very least it has us thinking about it and discussing the issues. If nothing else I know Coop would want it this way.

Thank you for taking the time and for sharing. I hope you never need it but at least you have it.

The more we learn and share the safer we will all be. Hopefully we will have what we need should the time come AND at least have an idea what to do with it.

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
Notayot

C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Notayot (sold 2/2018)
Photos: Notayot
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've carried throwables for 30 years and never noticed that the label does indeed show the proper way to use the cushion! It does show the neck and leg or arm and leg used to keep the cushion at your chest. I'm wearing mine now, and its quite comfrtable! By the way I'm 6' 3" and it does fit. I'm not sure I will test it in Puget Sound however.

C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say "because the unexpected will happen", because it will.
In the case where Coop's father lost his life... while he was trying to save him... was (in my very humble opinion) because a) his life jacket did not fit correctly, b) because the backup floatation either did not function correctly or was not utilized correctly and c) because they unexpectedly found themselves in the water.
I was not there that day but I know they both have more experience in that area than I do. I know they had many many many successful trips to that area and they knew what they were doing.

I know that the Sea Sport that was caught by a rouge wave and rolled over earlier this season found themselves in unexpected conditions and that they were VERY fortunate to have help close by and to be alive today to tell the tale.

I agree that the best precaution is to be in the right boat and not to get into the water in the first place but *stuff happens*.
I was hoping to get people thinking... to find the positive in this horrible situation. If we can at least learn something here... something that could perhaps one day save a life I believe the survivors would find some comfort.

I am not one to preach, on the contrary. Just looking for the strawberry in the fertilizer pile. It's always there... sometimes you just have to look long enough and sometimes you have to dig deeper. You always have to wash it off but it is usually sweet.
Just trying to help....

I wanted to leave something positive in case Coop or his family stumbled across this thread. Maybe it would bring them the slightest bit of comfort to think something positive came from this tragedy.
AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fisherman wrote:
You always have to wash it off but it is usually sweet.

EWWWW!!!!

89CD16A- The Navicula has been sold...
doc

City/Region: Auke Bay
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Bella Rey
Photos: C-Alaska
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, it does make a difference. Every time I read of one of these disasters and the discussions that follow I learn a lot from the various threads. I am also reminded that things do happen to people who do things and as we are all doers and prone to things happening. Do nothing stay home and our chances of safety will improve. As it was stated, these guys had a good deal of experience and were doing things right, even wearing their pfds. Gives a lot of thought to those of us who use inflatable pfds and I bet there isn't a one of us who will not have a better idea of the fit and function of their equipment by the end of the week. Last month we all became acutely more aware of the dangers inherent in anchoring, fowling the prop and taking water over the stern. Got my attention.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thoughts, Ray!

After this discussion, if I were going offshore in rough weather (instead of being inland), I'd buy one of those Mustang work suits (not the one intended for total immersion, but a work suit with all the extra insulation, flotation, and survivability built into it). Wore one once as a guest on one of the new 47 ft surfboats. Very comfortable and comforting. Best $500 you'll ever spend. Add a waterproof VHF, and maybe a EPIRB with GPS if going out where other boats are not real close, and you'll dramatically increase your chances of surviving the unexpected! Joe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: