View previous topic :: View next topic  
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Economy, twin emgines vs. single engine Reply with quote

Gene Stebbs. wrote:
t has been over 35 years since I have had REAL boat under me, I ran a 34' refitted steel hull lifeboat with a 300CI ford engine, from Seattle to SE Alaska and back for 5 seasons, 7 knots wide open with the tide and wind on your back side, with no lift at all on the bow with this style, it would however take Noahs flood on the backside and ride in comfort. I hope to pick up a used 24-25 ft. C Dory, hopefully within 3 years or so as family health conditions allow me the freedom to do so. My knowledge about the larger outboards is nill, and my main concern is economy as I may end up running the boat back and forth from Washington to SE AK. I would like to know what the most economic size engine for a 25' C Dory would be, keeping in mind that cruising a 12mph is fine with me and on flat water I do not need to run at 30-40 mph. Also what loss in economy is there when going from a 150 HP single engine to a pair of 75's. Thanks in advance folks, it sure seems to be nice group here and quite knowledgeable as well. I will be around picking your brains from time to time, hope I do not wear your collective patience out to soon. A good day and happy boating to all,Gene.

Ok, read through all replies. My 07 25 has a 150 murcery Verado, my best fuel economy on step is about 2.5 to 2.75 mpg at 4200 rpm with 14 pitch prop. On flat water I get about the same fuel economy at about 5000 rpm at 27 mph.
The only people who really want to sell you on twins these days is dealers, unless you have such a big boat you need the extra hp and require twin 250s or 300s. If you can achieve the required hp with one motor and a kicker for safety your saving money all around and not giving the dealer extra profit.
For me it's range not economy, that's just were I'm at in my present boating needs. I generally cover between 150 and 250 miles on a 2 to 4 day outing, so money for fuel is not really the issue, it's getting as much out of the time I have left on this rock in space along with the short Alaska summers.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
Gene Stebbs.

City/Region: McMinnville
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jay,I think I have a pretty good handle on the outboard..twin/single thing and general fuel consumption from folks here and the performance charts,considering loads and managing trims and a handfull of other variables. I would definitely put any extra weight into extra fuel capacity. I would like another 80 gal. up front a bit in the cockpit if doable to keep the weight off the stearn, maybe under removable bench seats? I might very well lay up in a nice anchorage for two-three weeks while hunting, fishing, taking photos or just hanging out and sleeping under the stars weather permitting . I still recall several which would allow beaching the boat as well, Then I might run to my dqughters place for a week or so, maybe up the Sitkine for a Moose hunt, I may put-put at 7mph or put her on a plane at whatever conditions allow for comfort and practical fuel usage depending on what I need-want at the time, looks like often 20 mph is as economical as 14-16. The info given here and yet to given will help greatly in understanding all the options. So far I am definitely giving up on the Sea Sport, Osprey or classic Carver/Bayliner cruiser V hulls, which I had considered orginally a few months ago when I started looking at what was around now days. I have learned a lot in a short time and look forward to much more to come down the line. Quite a well of boating knowledge to drink from here.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the go fast Tomcat, my favorite "trailerable" boat in the 24-27 foot size is the Seasport Pilot 27 with a diesel. If you really want room, range, and a big feeling boat, that is a great layout in an economical boat for what it is. It is not a deep-v, but has like 18 or something degrees of deadrise. I'd have one if they weren't so darn much money.
Gene Stebbs.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked a some online and they were the front runner in my mind till I decided the Dorys suited my needs overall for a lot less money and the "beachable" factor really interests me, but who knows? when the time comes I may end up with a 12' canoe with a one lung steam engine with a sidewheel. I feel pretty comfortable with the direction I am headed at this point if I can find what I want when ready to take the plunge, Might be best to try and find one up north, I could leave it in Wrangel over the winter if I chose to, that is sounding better the more I think about it. I would guess the boats run more money up there ft for ft, like most every thing else, at least it used to and from what my daughter says not much has changed, everything is a sellers market. But I think that is part of what makes it so special with so much elbow room. I think the Sea Sport has 22 deg. deadrise....might be wrong on that...wouldn't be the first time....happened once before back in the fall of 1992,enough of me for now, take care all.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene Stebbs. wrote:
... but who knows? when the time comes I may end up with a 12' canoe with a one lung steam engine with a sidewheel.

Mr. Green

Will be fun to see what you decide when the time comes. And of course please feel free to stick around between now and then Thumbs Up
Gene Stebbs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be around, there will no doubt be many more questions come to mind as the time nears and I doubt there is a better place to ask them than here. I may not even get thru the written material before the time to buy and outfit arrives, lots of great reading there, for shur!
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And who knows, maybe the right boat will show up sooner with your name on it Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: