Catch 22

City/Region: Lynnwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Catch 22
Photos: Catch 22
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went out this afternoon. Dropped in at 11:40 and limited 3 rods in 3.5 hrs. Went 6 for 9. All fish caught on hot spots 32-36" back to hoochies. We hit two fish very quick then nothing for ann hour and a half. Then we found a bait ball and did 4 fish on 4 laps through it. 4 fish in 40 minutes. All at Richmond beach. Then we dropped my phone in the water!! No texts of phone calls for a few days. We will be on channel 68 from 5:30am on tomorrow!
tcr_pnw

City/Region: Puget Sound
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Photos: Sea Star
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motored out Just before 6 this AM to flat calm seas. Planned on trying to catch the last 30-45 min of the outgoing and fish Scatchet Head until the 7 am change. Dropped in about 6:30 and headed toward a productive line from last year. Hooked our first fish around 6:40 and hooked 5 more by 7:20. Only 2 of us, so after we had 3 fish on ice we fished and released until we caught one that was hooked too bad to send back. After limits we motored back to the dock, filleted the fish and loaded the scraps into the crab pots. Fished pinks while they soaked. Hooked 2 pinks and pulled a limit of crab. Great day on the water. Beautiful weather. Much better than what was forecasted.

Fished the same glow and green glow ace hi fly inserted hootchies on green glow Hot Spot flashers. One at 61 feet, one at 75.

Is anyone going out tomorrow? If you can catch that first light AM out going tide change at Scatchet Head you could probably be done in an hour. These have always been the most productive tide changes I've fished.

C-Brats Derby on the 13th??
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fished this whole weekend!
5 on Sat for 3 of us. East side of the bar out deep to Edmonds. Got rough from the south, hit the west side by Scatchet Head, 2 more. Not great size, but nice.

1 fish yesterday as we had slow start and couldn't start main motor, story if you ask me Very Happy

Today, thanks to Troy he put us in the right area for fish. Caught a nice one right away on E. bar in 150 feet of water 55 on cable. Then out to SW end of bar on a great rip on incoming. 2 more then a lull, last small one on troll to Edmonds. Great water today.

All fish 55-88 feet this weekend. I agree, that morning ebb on the west side is sometimes great!

Derby on 13th?

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
Catch 22

City/Region: Lynnwood
Vessel Name: Catch 22
Photos: Catch 22
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit doubles first thing this morning and while releasing one that was too small to feel good about I got a #4 hook to the bone in my middle finger! It was not a good situation and it took 30 minutes to pull it out even with a crimped barb. I have never been hooked like that before and I got light headed during the process. Dispite a rough start we got 3 nice coho and released a big king, which was caught by a guy who had never been in the salt so he had a blast. All in all we got 17 coho in 4 trips this weekend, mostly small but I imagine the bigger ones are coming. Can't wait.
tcr_pnw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fished west side of Possession yesterday. Slow day but we went 2/5. The first fish we hooked hit while bringing the DR up. Next thing I know 60 or so feet of line is peeled out and I'm thinking we hooked a king. Take my time with it so we could release it hopefully without netting. When it gets to the boat, it's got a flash of silver and no spots on the tail. Biggest coho I've hooked. Easily 12-15 lbs. After 3 less than stellar attempts to net the fish, my buddy knocked it off, I was just a little frustrated to say the least...

Just about tide change we hooked into 3 fish and got 2 on ice. Fished 101 on the cable after the sun hit the water. UV Gibbs Red Race and a Purple Haze squid with an Ace Hi Fly insert had the majority of the attention.

On the outgoing tide I've been fishing within a triangle by drawing a line from the Scatchet Head Green Can to the Yellow Can in the shipping lanes looking at Point No Point. Then draw lines from each of the cans to Indian Point. Majority of the time we're catching fish in 200-400 feet of water in the SE 1/3 of that triangle. When I can get to the boat, I'll snap a pic of my GPS showing the waypoints if anybody is interested. It's been quite productive these past couple weeks.

The rain coming this week should pull in more fish and heat things back up!
tcr_pnw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fished yesterday in great conditions. After a bit snotty of a weekend, yesterday was light wind and blue skies.

AM bite was a quick one. We fished between Possession Point and the Green Can in 500 feet of water or so on a N-S/S-N troll. Dropping in around 7:30-8:00, we hooked 4 fish in 30 min, boating 3. These fish came at 40 ft and 65 ft. Was a big tide and got the gear wrapped up pretty bad twice on turns which cost us 20 min or so each time. If not for that, we could have limited in 3 rods in an hour. Kinda glad we didn't because the day was so nice. Trolled around until 10:30 or so, marking fish and bait but no bites. We pulled gear and decided to run to Pilot Point since it was such a great day with awesome visibility. Rainier in the backdrop of the Seattle skyline never gets old. Came across a couple whales on the west side of Possession so we stopped to watch a bit. Pilot Point turned out to be a fun coho fishery. We followed the birds. At times, we were fishing in less than 70-80 feet of water with 65-75 feet on the wire. We hooked 5 more coho, netting 2 and also released 2 chinook. We fished a Purple Haze flasher/Green Glow hootchie on one side and a Gibbs UV Red Racer flasher/Purple Haze hootchie on the other. They saw equal action.
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great outing Troy! I have a question. Are you dropping the riggers to the depth that you're marking fish on the fish finder or just randomly selecting depths until you hit fish? For some reason, I've had a heck of a time finding coho this year. Sad

Congratulations on a great fishing season!

Peter
tcr_pnw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzmanic wrote:
Another great outing Troy! I have a question. Are you dropping the riggers to the depth that you're marking fish on the fish finder or just randomly selecting depths until you hit fish? For some reason, I've had a heck of a time finding coho this year. Sad

Congratulations on a great fishing season!

Peter

Hey Peter, thanks! Been doing a little bit of both. At first light I've always started one at 40-45 and one at 60-65. If overcast, I'll keep them around those depths. If the shallow one gets nothing, I'll drop it to 70-75. One is most always between 65 to 75 and I'll adjust the other based off conditions, what I'm marking on the screen, past experience, radio chatter, or just guessing. If super sunny out, maybe run it 90-100. If overcast/raining, 40-60. If marking fish/bait, bring it to those depths. If/when that rod heats up, I'll adjust the standard 65-75 rod to the depth of the other if its running cold. So far, that strategy has played out well this season. I would say I have caught over 50%-60% of our fish in that 65-75 foot range.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel too bad Peter, We haven't done well after the heavy rains we received at the end of August. We were lucky to get 1 fish each trip for the last couple of weeks. I got a report that the fish are coming back into the bay and a lot of them are getting bigger. We'll be out again early Saturday and possibly Friday night.

We took the Dory up the Snohomish Saturday after getting skunked in the bay Friday night. Saw some real hogs jumping, and a boat trolling next to us hooked into a 25 ish# king they had to let go. That looked like a really fun morning for them.
Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Troy. That's pretty much how I approach it too. And thanks Paul. I'm not feeling bad. I realize that in order to be a successful fisherman, you have to put in the time, including getting an early start. I've been pretty lazy this year.

Next year I'm going to devote at least one whole week to fishing at the peak of the season, somewhere whether that be Nootka, Westport, Neah Bay or Eagle Point. I've never done that with C-Dancer in all these years. I just usually fish a day or 2 at a time. That's the plan.

Good luck this weekend guys!

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzmanic wrote:
Thanks Troy. That's pretty much how I approach it too. And thanks Paul. I'm not feeling bad. I realize that in order to be a successful fisherman, you have to put in the time, including getting an early start. I've been pretty lazy this year.

Next year I'm going to devote at least one whole week to fishing at the peak of the season, somewhere whether that be Nootka, Westport, Neah Bay or Eagle Point. I've never done that with C-Dancer in all these years. I just usually fish a day or 2 at a time. That's the plan.

Good luck this weekend guys!

Peter - Next year I'll most likely be in Neah Bay from mid June (probably Father's day weekend) until early to mid August - probably August 13th. After that I'll be at Ilwaco for the buoy 10 fishery and tuna. I usually do a week at Neah around the 4th of July. And I'll do a week at Ilwaco in August. If you wanted to join us for either of those weeks, that would be great. I can introduce you to the fishing in either place. Early July in Neah is great for kings and bottom fish, August in Ilwaco is great for kings in the river and off of Long Beach.

Salmon Fisher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it has been a bit of a frustrating season what with fish that are there and won't bite and small ones. It's just how it is, this run's parents 3 years ago were 2-3 pounds bigger on the average, if I recall. Heard Tony Floor talking on the Outdoor Line last week and he attributed late run and small size to the big blob of warm water that effects ocean ecosystem.

Fishing off Westport in Aug we found some nice coho and I wonder where they were feeding to get more to grow on?

Peter, you're right, it takes time to learn what to use and when, but I remember when we talked 2 plus years ago and since then you have it pretty dialed in, just can't make 'em bite when they don't want to. I'm planning to give Neah Bay a week next summer since Sekiu has not worked out for us too well for 3 years now. Would also love to do Nootka again. I love Westport and will always go there, too.

I really appreciate sharing all the information on this site, it sure flattens out the learning curve.
Salmon Fisher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it has been a bit of a frustrating season what with fish that are there and won't bite and small ones. It's just how it is, this run's parents 3 years ago were 2-3 pounds bigger on the average, if I recall. Heard Tony Floor talking on the Outdoor Line last week and he attributed late run and small size to the big blob of warm water that effects ocean ecosystem.

Fishing off Westport in Aug we found some nice coho and I wonder where they were feeding to get more to grow on?

Peter, you're right, it takes time to learn what to use and when, but I remember when we talked 2 plus years ago and since then you have it pretty dialed in, just can't make 'em bite when they don't want to. I'm planning to give Neah Bay a week next summer since Sekiu has not worked out for us too well for 3 years now. Would also love to do Nootka again. I love Westport and will always go there, too.

I really appreciate sharing all the information on this site, it sure flattens out the learning curve.
Take it EC

City/Region: Bellevue
C-Dory Year: 2012
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Take It EC
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject: Possession Salmon 2015 Reply with quote

When does the coho run end in area 9 and/or 10? Will they still be around on October 3rd or 4th in shilshole bay?
Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind offer Roger. I've been talking about taking the boat to NB forever and I vow next year I'm going to make it happen. I've always wanted to do Buoy 10, maybe next year.

Patrick, so true about this season. I guess I'm not the only one disappointed by this year's Coho season. Unfortunately I need to take the boat back up north this weekend, meaning my Coho season is over.

EC, one never knows. Shilshole can be good the first week of October, it was the last 2 years but as everyone's been saying, it's been a little different this year. Time will tell.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: