The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Considering a C Dory 22 cruiser
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eerdoc

City/Region: Poquoson
State or Province: VA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Considering a C Dory 22 cruiser Reply with quote

Easy question for the experienced -- I'm considering a C Dory 22. Specs show the draft as 7-8 inches, but how much water do you really need to put it in the water....another foot?....more? less? Thanks. I really appreciate the help...
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regularly run in 18" of water going over a sand bar on the entrance to my home dock during winter low tides. We go stern to the beach at places with no tides, such as lake Powell and the water will be 10" at the stern.

I would say that 15 to 18" of depth for running the boat at slow speeds with the motor trimmed up. Actually floating, probably 10 to 12 "--as you lower the boat off the trailer, with engine trimmed up, that is what it would take to float the stern. BUT, you will not be able to launch off a bunk trailer at that depth--a roller trailer, yes.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
eerdoc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I have about 2 feet at low tide. Just wondering if I'll be able to take it out anytime. Thanks again..
eerdoc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do they do in open water? I'm in VA.....wondering how it would do in the Chesapeake Bay....
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the boats generally go up and down the Inland Passage to AK, across the Columbia River Bar, to Catalina, a few to the Bahamas. I lived in Richmond for 2 years, and spent another 6 months on my boat in the Chesapeake. Raced all over the bay.

We have several members who live in VA or nearby. They are happy with their 22's. Any body of water can be nasty, including the Chesapeake. But the C Dory 22 is as good as any boat that size for that body of water, in my opinion.

The C Dory can be a 4 season boat on the Chesapeake -- which is unusual in a boat that size.

One has to understand that the boats are low deadrise, so can pound, if not properly run into waves, and chop. You may have to show down, trim the engine down. I feel that both trim tabs and a Permatrim are almost essential to get the best performance out of the boats.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Northern VA and run my 22 on the Bay. I usually launch from Sandy Point State Park by the Bay bridge and cruise the area between Baltimore and St. Michaels, MD (spent 2 days at St. Michaels two weeks ago). Never had any problems and have no hesitation about going out there. Of course, some days are better than others, but the 22 can handle 2-3 waves with no problem. Just have to trim it right for the conditions.
schiavolou

City/Region: Wilton Creek, VA
Vessel Name: Skimmer
Photos: Skimmer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many C-Dories on the Bay. (See the Brat Map). I had a 22 out of Essex Maryland and Stafford VA for a season, and have operated a 25 out of Solomons, MD and Hampton VA for 7-8 years.

They are safe but often uncomfortable in seas over 2ft, common all spring and often on summer afternoons. Otherwise its suitability depends on how you would use it. They are great for cruising and exploring the many interesting destinations around the Bay. If you are more into fishing or day trips with kids, there are probably better choices.

Let us know of your progress. C-Brats in the Tidewater VA area often cruise together.

Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know what water depth should measure for bunk trailer and 23 venture for launching,thinking of going to Janes Island would be nice to be able to check depths at launches before trying to launch boat. I remember trying to launch a boat in river once it was a tracker and was never able to get it off trailer even with truck in water regular dirt launch but just not deep enough.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are always ways to get boats off trailers. A tongue extension is one way. Roller trailers allow almost any depth of water. The depth of water vs gradient or pitch of the ramp is key. The bigger the boat, the more difficult on marginal ramps. I doubt that there is much difference between the 22 and 23. Lots of factors on the trailer, including type of axle, rollers in the center, spacing and number of bunks etc.
tcr_pnw

City/Region: Puget Sound
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Photos: Sea Star
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Patrick wrote:
Anyone know what water depth should measure for bunk trailer and 23 venture for launching,thinking of going to Janes Island would be nice to be able to check depths at launches before trying to launch boat. I remember trying to launch a boat in river once it was a tracker and was never able to get it off trailer even with truck in water regular dirt launch but just not deep enough.

I have a 23. Bunk trailers and the flat bottom can be a pain if not enough water under the boat to start floating it. There have been times at the Everett ramp I've had to back the rear truck tires into the water and still had to power the boat off the trailer with the engines. Takes a good goose of the throttle to get her loose. The Everett ramp is pretty nice so I'd test a low water launch and retrieve before committing to a trip where you know you'll be at that water level. The steepness of the launch area is a factor too.
eerdoc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schiavolou wrote:
There are many C-Dories on the Bay. (See the Brat Map). I had a 22 out of Essex Maryland and Stafford VA for a season, and have operated a 25 out of Solomons, MD and Hampton VA for 7-8 years.

They are safe but often uncomfortable in seas over 2ft, common all spring and often on summer afternoons. Otherwise its suitability depends on how you would use it. They are great for cruising and exploring the many interesting destinations around the Bay. If you are more into fishing or day trips with kids, there are probably better choices.

Let us know of your progress. C-Brats in the Tidewater VA area often cruise together.

I'm very new to this.....What would be some other choices you would consider? I'd probably do some fishing but don't know that would be the main reason for going out. Mostly exploring and day trips, but I do have family that like to fish. My main constraint is that I have about 2 feet MLLW at my dock and I'd really like to be able to get a boat out at most if not all times. The C-dory seemed to be a good choice for that. I'd really appreciate any recommendations. Thanks so much....
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eerdoc wrote:

My main constraint is that I have about 2 feet MLLW at my dock and I'd really like to be able to get a boat out at most if not all times. The C-dory seemed to be a good choice for that. I'd really appreciate any recommendations. Thanks so much....

A roller trailer will allow you to launch and retrieve in shallower water than a bunk trailer, because of the roller action, as opposed to having to float off.

However, 2 feet of water may be a bit shallow even for a roller type trailer. I have one, but have not really tested the limits of its shallow water launching capacity. However, I'd guess you need 2-1/2 to 3 feet of water even with the roller job.......

Also, the rollers are somewhat harder on the bottom of your boat, especially if you have some sort of anti-fouling paint, although if you're dry storing the boat on the trailer, you probably won't have the bottom painted.

Hopefully, someone can give you a meaningful number for the minimum launch depth figure for the different forms of trailers.

IT ALSO DEPENDS A LOT ON THE STEEPNESS OF THE RAMP AND HOW FAR YOU'RE WILLING TO BACK THE TOW VEHICLE INTO THE WATER. (!)

Good Luck!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need to search around this site a bit. All the info you need is here.

My CD22 is a 4 season boat in Alaska. I lived in VA for 12 years prior, and my CD would have been a fine boat there, although I sailed a small trimaran instead while there.

The Ches is sort of shallow, so you get close tight chop. Your CD won't be a speed demon, but it will be seaworthy and safe and easily allow you four seasons of use.

I have draft limitations in some of the places I go. My boat does great in about a foot or so. You can launch in some shallow water if your trailer has rollers. More difficult with bunks.

Good luck.
eerdoc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kushtaka wrote:

My CD22 is a 4 season boat in Alaska. I lived in VA for 12 years prior, and my CD would have been a fine boat there, although I sailed a small trimaran instead while there.

The Ches is sort of shallow, so you get close tight chop. Your CD won't be a speed demon, but it will be seaworthy and safe and easily allow you four seasons of use.

I have draft limitations in some of the places I go. My boat does great in about a foot or so. You can launch in some shallow water if your trailer has rollers. More difficult with bunks.

Good luck.

I'd actually be wanting to launch off my dock from a boat lift. Hopefully that's not a problem. Thanks so much for all of your help....
eerdoc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kushtaka wrote:

Good luck.

Ok...I'm going to totally expose my ignorance here......do you need more water to launch off a ramp than off of a boat lift. If nothing else, I hope this is entertaining for the experienced watermen out there.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: