View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Bomar Hatch Screen Reply with quote

Has anyone installed a screen for the Bomar Hatch in the V Berth of thier 22' Cruiser?(mine is a 2004) I know they make them - need a trim ring too. If anyone knows the model number of the hatch or part number for the screen and trim ring, I would appreciate it (before I call and bother those nice folks at the factory)

John
Swee Pea
terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: bomar screen Reply with quote

John,

I have a '05 22....I bought a screen from a Canadian outfit. I can give you the info if you are interested. It is a soft, kind of bag screen which drops over the hatch when opened. It is bordered by sewn in lead weights. It works fine. We also bought from them a hanging screen , weighted, for the cockpit door...it hangs on a tension rod you can buy at any hardware store.Both screen fold into a little box about eight by six by two.

Here on the Chesapeake, mosquitoes can get as big as bluebirds and the screens have held them back. They have also survived a couple of big blows of wind during the night.

terraplane tom
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear John,

The Hatch is N1039-10A. I sent emails back and forth to the company (Pompanette) to make sure of the number and then ordered the screen and trim ring from them earlier this summer. Ideal would have been to pull the hatch and remount with the trim ring. Instead I just mounted the trim ring from below with screws and caulk, it works. I store the screen under the dinette table with velcro when it I think I will need hatch access.

Mark

Salty Dog

City/Region: Traverse City
Photos: Salty Dog
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
I did similar to Mark. I ordered the trim ring and screen from West Marine. However, I bought a 6 foot section of aluminum angle, cut them into about 14 inch strips, then screwed and sealed/adhered those to the top of the berth around the hatch. Then I put the trim ring between the small gap between the aluminum and hatch edge and used a couple of stainless screws with lock washers on them to hold the trim ring to the aluminum. Works like a charm and looks pretty good. I've been meaning to take some pictures and post them to my photo album, just haven't gotten around to it. I'll try to do that this weekend so you can see how I did it.

Jack
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom --
when you get a chance, we'd appreciate the name of the outfit that made your screen. Thanks and our best wishes to you --

Ted Osborne

City/Region: Des Moines, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tabbycat
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We solved the screen problem on the front hatch by trimming the hatch outer ring with velcro and then using screening, sewing velcro to that. Works great and presents a nice clean look.
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted and Donna --
Yep, we did the same thing and it works great. Curious about the design of the one Tom talks about, but the velcro and screening is a dandy arrangement.
Levity

City/Region: Shippensburg
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Levity
Photos: Levity
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
A screen for the Bomar can be easily and quickly made from nylon screen and chain. First measure the Bomar opening then purchase enough screening to cover the hatch opening plus 4 inches all around. Purchase enough light duty chain to reach around the perimeter of the hatch and then sew the chain into the extra four inches of screening. The result is a windproof, mosquito proof screen that folds into a small package that is easily deployed.
Mike 'Levity'
octopotomus

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that we have the same screen that Tom got. It's called a Bugbusters hatch screen made by Sogeman in Canada. They come in various sizes but the 25x25 model fits the forward hatch on a 22' perfectly. We bought ours from Defender for about $45. Kind of spendy, but well worth it in our opinion. Teri made a zippered screen for the cabin door. I'll take a picture and post it at some point.

Scott and Teri on <grin>
Swee Pea

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to be a real knucklehead but can someone describe how the "factory" trim ring/screen works/attaches with the the OEM Bomar hatch? Obvioiusly I have not seen one in place. Probably real simple but I'm not grasping the big picture. How does the ring attach to the hatch and what type of profile does it have? How does the screen attach to the trim ring? Sorry for being a dumbell Embarrased

John
Swee Pea
Salty Dog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
With the configuration of the Bomar hatch in the C-Dory, you can't attach the ring to it without cutting it out. Surprised

I meant to take pictures of how I installed mine this past weekend, but forgot to take my camera with me on Sunday when I was on the boat. Will try to get some pictures in my photo album soon for you, but we've got the remnants of hurricane Katrina dropping a bunch of rain on us today and tomorrow, so it might be Friday before I can get some pictures out there.

As for the screen, once you get the trim ring attached, there's 4 little levers that slide over the screen edge, one on each side of the trim ring. You just slide those back and forth to hold the screen in place or to remove it to access the opening.

Jack
C-batical

City/Region: Pinckney
Vessel Name: C-Batical
Photos: C-Batical
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John:

I have had several boats with similar hatch configuration and prefer the simplistic approach. Basically, the screen I use is constructed of fiberglass screening and is framed with the Sunbrella matching my upholstery. It is attached to the cabin roof with snaps. The advantage is that it is quickly attached or removed and can be rolled up for storage. I prefer the snaps over Velcro because Velcro has a way of becomeing unglued. It is also an easy and cheap resolution

Regards,
Rollie/C-Batical
Swee Pea

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreicate everyone's response. I called the C-Dory factory yesterday and received a call back today. Was told that although the Bomar hatch is designed to take a trim ring and screen, the design of the 22' model does not accomodate the trim ring and they advised against it. I will either buy the Bugbuster that is placed over the hatch from the outside or will make a snap screen as Rollie on C-Batical suggests. If I take the snap approach, I guess I will figure out how to secure it so no bugs will sneak in.

While I was on the phone with the factory, I purchased two Rulemate Auto 1100 bilge pumps to replace those noisy electronic ones. The Rulemate Autos have a built in float switch. I need two because Cutter installed a second bilge at the transom - wouldn't you know it was the electronic one. I have had stereo bilge noise for months and its driving me crazy. The factory charged me $40 bucks for each - way below the $80 West Marine and Boaters World wanted.

I also finished sewing and installing my interior privacy curtains. Came out pretty good for a guy who never used a sewing machine before. Any further discussion should be moved to another thread (no pun intended) so I will keep my trap shut.

Thanks again to all of you nice people.

John
Swee Pea
terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Bugbuster screens Reply with quote

To all who asked...my screens are the Bugbusters, from Sogeman, in Canada. I bought the 25 by 25 Bomar hatch screen and the hanging screen(had to sew a hem in top to slide a drapery tension rod through)..I put two heavy duty velcro patches on the hangings screen to tab it to the frame at night...It is not completely bug proof but works fine...At bedtime we spray the frame of the hatchway with bug spray...
The best is that both fold to a very small box for storage..about 8 by six by two approx.

tom terraplane

Bought a digital camera...Canon Super Shot...4 pix...i think it will do..so expect some pictures soon.
Salty Dog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
I've uploaded 3 pictures in my photo album showing how I attached the Bomar hatch trim ring and with the screen in place. Should be the last 2 pictures on page 2 and the first picture on page 3.

Jack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: