The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Simple electrical advice needed.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capt. meares

City/Region: Tillamook
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Vianey
Photos: Vianey
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Simple electrical advice needed. Reply with quote

While recently overnighting on the bay at anchor, I realized there was a potential of possibly wearing down my battery, losing power leaving me stranded in the bay. I currently have just one (1) battery. I will list all the items that this battery was running to paint the picture clearly for my question....

1) two house lights (all bulbs throughout boat are LED) used for3 hours.
2) Navigation lights (LED) left on all night.
3) Lowrance GPS Elite 5 (left on all night for anchor alarm)
4) Anchor light (LED) left on all night.

While not using the boat, my single battery is ALWAYS plugged into a battery tender.

Question #1. Can I continue to get by with just one battery with this being a typical night of usage? I am a big fan of keeping everything simple as a C-dory is meant to be.

Question #2. If the answer is NO to question #1, would it be acceptable to always bring a fully charged jump pack as an alternative to adding a second battery?

I never plan on needing a microwave, hair dryer, satellite TV etc. Again, I like to keep it simple.

Thanks
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size/type is your one battery?

If you know the rated amp hours, great. If not, even the group size would help (24, 27, 31, etc.).

It's a simple matter of math, but certain numbers are needed to plug into the equation. Battery size/type would help.
Alexander

City/Region: Stuart
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Alexander
Photos: Alexander
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you get a digital voltage meter (free from harbor freight with coupon) and check the battery voltage every couple of hours. You might be doing just fine. If it's 12v or better it will easily start a good normal starting engine. If it gets low, start the engine for a while and recharge it enough to get by. Having a jump starting box would make a great back up. The new lithium ion models are very small and powerful and hold a charge for a long time. Good luck, Bob
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the replies.
Collect some data

capt. meares

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12V battery. I do have a meter. Great advice, I will leave everything on in my driveway and see how long it lasts.
BrentB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great
post battery make, model and specs too

You don't want to run down the battery completely

thanks
Skeeter

City/Region: Wadsworth
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Skeeter
Photos: Skeeter
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The driveway test is a good idea. You could try starting the motor at 10 volts. Some Chart plotters and GPS have low voltage alarms that may help monitor what is going on. I can appreciate your feelings about keeping it simple but I suffer from battery discharge anxiety. The only solution for me was to install a two battery system with a A/B switch. I always have a fully charged start battery. I can sleep now.
Skeeter

Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skeeter wrote:
The driveway test is a good idea. You could try starting the motor at 10 volts. Some Chart plotters and GPS have low voltage alarms that may help monitor what is going on. I can appreciate your feelings about keeping it simple but I suffer from battery discharge anxiety. The only solution for me was to install a two battery system with a A/B switch. I always have a fully charged start battery. I can sleep now.
Skeeter

I agree with Skeeter, I couldn't sleep with any draw on one battery. I would even get fidgety anchoring for lunch Neutral . Toooo many things can go wrong. A good booster pack would be OK.

I would caution against making a habit of trying to start your boat with a low(or undersized) battery though. It will draw more amps than normal - leading to an overheated starter and eventually burning it out.

Regards, Rob

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a major problem with the "Driveway test". What is your end point? I make it a rule to avoid discharging a 12 volt battery to less than 12.2 volts, resting voltage. At 10 volts you will have damaged the battery, and decreased its life span.

I would prefer a good 3 stage battery charger over a "battery tender", especially if the battery was deep discharged.

Why do you leave the navigation lights on a night? No reason, unless you are under way.

Same for the depth sounder? There have been very few times when I left a depth sounder on--and during those times, I was standing an anchor watch, or at least checking ever hour or so--or more often.

I bought my first ocean going boat (29 foot Columbia sail boat) in 1962. It had a single battery. After the first night on the hook (long before LED's) and my battery was down--I vowed to never have that issue again.

I would not have a boat where I could not start the engine by hand, with a single battery. Pull start, then single battery--for example a RIB I owned. I sort of break the rule with my 18 foot Caracal Cat. Some times, i have the bank of trolling motor batteries which would give me a back up, or I take a jump pack. But this is only a day fishing boat.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Alexander

City/Region: Stuart
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Alexander
Photos: Alexander
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought just came to my old brain. Many GPS units both read system voltage and have a low voltage alarm somewhere in the menu. If you have one, set it when you set the anchor alarm.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add a house battery, either a group 27 or 31. That with a bit of cable and a two battery switch isn't that expensive. I moved mine to the port side. Pics in the album.

Like Dr. Bob mentioned, why are you leaving your navy lights on? The 360° white anchor is all that's needed.

Going across the Tillamook bar would make me nervous without having an easy second way to start the main engine.

BrentB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree and would add a second battery with a A/B switch or ACR which is better and more expensive.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are your nav lights on all night? You only need the white anchor light on while anchored. Not much of a savings, but also not required.

We nearly drained a group 31 deep cell after three days in Desolation, but we have a fridge and watched movies on our laptop. It was a good learning experience and I was not concerned as we have a group 27 starter too.

Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good suggestions. I have "twin" engines on my boat. I only have one Group 24 battery for each engine. I have no other battery for a "house" battery. I have a 1-2-Both switch that selects which I'll use for the house battery for that trip, or may switch to the other battery if we drain the first one down close to what we can safely start the engine. I also have a Link 10 battery monitor on each battery to really see what the condition of discharge is, VERY good piece of mind. There is a less expensive monitor now available, I forgot the name. I recommend a monitor though that does more than just voltage.

My batteries, when new, had about 105 Amp-Hour capacity each. I generally won't discharge them past 70% (~70 AH remaining). So you have about 30 AH to use. We have a 2-light rule on the boat, hard to enforce at times with lots of kids, but it means to not have lights on all over the boat at one time. Each light (incandescent) draws 1 amp, including the anchor light or each running light (which aren't needed at anchor as others have pointed out). The stereo is about 0.3 amps. TV w/DVD playing, about 4 amps (so a 2 hour movie discharges 2hr x 4amps = 8 AmpHours). My GPS draws about 0.2 amps (I think). You'd be surprised how little energy most of the solid-state electronics use, but you need a monitor to make an accurate list. I don't have a refrig, nor microwave, no need for a weekend or even a week of boating like I do. I like the KISS principle like many of us.

I do have a non-KISS item on board (plus the TV and DVD player), a Wallas 1300 heater. So for those chilly nights we sometimes get here in SoCal, I make sure at least one of the batteries is up to snuff to start it with it's 5 amp startup current for 3 minutes, thereafter it's about 0.3 amps to run the pump and fan, very efficient.

I also have a 30 Watt, flexible solar panel that I'll throw on the roof if I'm going to stay in one spot without running the motors every couple of days. It usually brings the battery back to nearly 100% in one day. And like others have said, you can always start the motor and charge for a half hour. I also bring a emergency jump start battery on most trips, but remember, I have 2 engines. So as long as I can start one on the good battery, I can then switch to BOTH and charge both from that one engine, then later (and this is important to the health of your regulators on the engines -- don't ask me how I know) I switch it back to separate before starting the second engine.

One caveat on battery monitors like the Link 10's. They do not account for the degradation of the capacity of the battery as they age. My batteries are about 5 yrs old (which is phenomenal BTW). By taking a few voltage readings (after 12 hrs of rest) with known discharges, I have calculated that the capacities are way reduced over what they were when new, like maybe 70 amp-hours now, so I plugged in the new numbers to the Link 10's as a temporary solution until I replace them, probably this winter.

Hope this helps and didn't confuse you too much. Sorry if it did.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
capt. meares

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the input. After reading everyone's responses I have decided the simplest solution is to add a second battery. While I have gotten by with just one battery for the last year without any issues, I must say its better to be safe than sorry.

I will also discontinue the practice of leaving nav lights on all night. Just trying to make myself more visible ( helps me sleep better Confused )

Now I will be looking into albums and find the easiest wiring diagram for adding a second battery.

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: