View previous topic :: View next topic  
lyle-t

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Scorpio
Photos: Scorpio
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: NavMan GPS for laptop Reply with quote

Hi All,
For my birthday my Love wife bought me a NavMan gps for pc. it works with my laptop so I can have it in my car or boat and use the 15 inch laptop screen to see where I want to go Arrow and find my way back Mr. Green . I loaded a picture of it in Scorpio album. It is so good it can show me when I change lanes on a four lane highway. It cost about $135.00 which is about the same as a small hand held that I cannot see well enough to use when driving. It is powered by hooking the laptop into a cigar lighter and the unit hooked it into the USB port. The unit attached to the windshield with a suction cup. Lyle-t
stevej

City/Region: Gaston
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Photos: Shearwater
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyle I have the PCMCIA Navman and use "the Captn" navigation software. Love the big display also. Still working through a couple of bugs but think it's worth the effort.
check out http://gpsinformation.net/ lots of utilities and info

stevej

1995 25' Cruise Ship #3
lyle-t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stevej;
My Nav Man uses Rand Mcnally Delux street finder which also shows rivers, lakes and the sound. I have used it in the truck and plan to try it in the boat soon. In am still learning how to work with it but so far love the way it shows where I am. Thank you for that link to the GPS info. Tomorrow I am going to Hoodsport to play with the Chum salmon again. I brought a couple home a few dqys ago and smoked them. They turned out much better than I had expected. Now my sister and her family want MORE MORE. When the wind calms down here I am going out toward Nissqualy and try for the blackmouth that are supposed to be in there. Hope to see you out fishing soon.
Lyle
stevej

City/Region: Gaston
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Photos: Shearwater
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hooked on the electronic charts and chart plotting functions. I can plot routes review fishing drifts and play around any time by booting up the laptop.

Have not used it in the truck yet but will soon.

Salmon is over around here but we did have a great year. Never caught a chum before. Bought my boat from a gentelman in the hood canal area need to make a trip that way in the future.

Good luck with the weather and fishing

stevej
Mr. Fisherman

C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Me too! Reply with quote

Well my wife bought me the Maptech Marine Navigator and I got a great deal on a used toughbook, I am almost in business!
I just need to decide on a GPS for the laptop and find a good mounting bracket for the truck and the boat.
Stevej has the Ram mount I think... What are you using Lyle? Stevej, what would you do different?
These charts are amazing and I can't wait to use them.

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a little GPSMAP76, Garmin BlueChart software and the cable (unfortunately a serial cable rather than USB). You just click the button onscreen for realtime tracking, and voila. The BlueChart software is very cool, waypoints, routes, tracks, etc. Have hooked it up and played with it on land but never used it on the CD22 - the laptop did not really fit conveniently anywhere. I was also worried a bit about the laptop being on a hard surface while we took any pounding at all. So how do you deal with mounting and protecting the laptop? I really would like to use this as a backup to the Raymarine system I will have on the new boat, and I always have the laptop along anyway.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

lyle-t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: laptop Reply with quote

Hi Ray,
I do not mount my laptop on the boat but lay it on the berth and prop it up with my extra cloths and stuff. So far it has not moved or tipped even when hitting some pretty heavy wakes and waves.
I do not travel fast when useing it because there is usually
fog or it is dark when I really need it on. Also I want it to be able to just unplug the power and take it with me when I leave the boat to keep light fingers from walking off with it. Are you going to make it to Cathalamet? Hope to see you there,
Later Lyle

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Plankton
Photos: catdogcat - TBA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Maptech Marine Navigator on my Ipaq PDA with a Navman 3450 antenna sleeve. Works great and mounts right on the dash. I do all my chartplotting on my PC at home and sync the routs before I leave.
Mr. Fisherman

C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
I have a little GPSMAP76, Garmin BlueChart software and the cable (unfortunately a serial cable rather than USB). You just click the button onscreen for realtime tracking, and voila. The BlueChart software is very cool, waypoints, routes, tracks, etc. Have hooked it up and played with it on land but never used it on the CD22 - the laptop did not really fit conveniently anywhere. I was also worried a bit about the laptop being on a hard surface while we took any pounding at all. So how do you deal with mounting and protecting the laptop? I really would like to use this as a backup to the Raymarine system I will have on the new boat, and I always have the laptop along anyway.

I thought about that and opted for a Panasonic toughbook. It is dust and water tight nd will stand up to what the environment will dish out. They are being used by the military and several marine professionals. I bought mine used and have been very happy so far. It has a touchscreen that might make working with the charts much easier on the boat. I am just starting to play with it now.

Lyle, I hope to make Cathlamet. I have my fingers crossed.

Catdogcat, do you like the software? I think my toughbook will survive better than my Dell Axim5 and at my age I need the bigger screen. What I am especially excited about are the bathometric charts. Too cool.
I still need the GPS unit, an inverter, and a mounting bracket but I am most of the way there.
catdogcat

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Plankton
Photos: catdogcat - TBA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maptech makes great software and you can't beat the detail level of the NOAA charts. I love using it. My only complaint is that is a bit difficult to use the stylus while the boat is pounding. I do bring my laptop aboard with me as well but have not found a usefull place to put it to use it as a gps. If you guys find a high quality gps antenna that can be placed outside the boat, please let me know. Also I guess it would have to be USB or serial.
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this the The CAPN Mosaic, this puppy lists for $429 - and it appears the available maps don't include anything north of Puget Sound - is this what you have? Or is your software something different? Notice the lack of a "T" in CAPN Mosaic...

stevej wrote:
Lyle I have the PCMCIA Navman and use "the Captn" navigation software. Love the big display also. Still working through a couple of bugs but think it's worth the effort.
check out http://gpsinformation.net/ lots of utilities and info

stevej
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

First post here as I don't yet have a C-Dory. I've been looking at software to run with my work laptop since I picked up the MS Streets and Trips that came with the GPS puck from work. So far the software I think I will purchase for this task is from Rose Point Navigation and is called Coastal Explorer. This seems like pretty nice software from playing with the trial version. It works great with the free NOAA ENC charts. I'm amazed at the stitching abilities of it as well.

I've also downloaded Fugawi Marine ENC and have a trial of Capn. I can't get the Capn version to work. Every time I try to load a chart it crashes. The Fugawi is pretty simple to use and seems to be a good product but I like the interface of Coastal Explorer better. I've yet to actually get on the water with it but hope to this weekend.

For a decent looking antenna you might want to look at http://www.deluoelectronics.com/catalog/Deluo_Marine_GPS_SmartAntenna-p-71.html. BTW: They also sell the same item on EBay for considerably less than they are their main website. I haven't tried one of these but plan to when I make my specialized computer for the boat.

Now if I could just talk the wife into the CD 25 I would be set!

Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the Rose Point package costs $300 but the charts are free, a pretty big plus compared to the others. Does any other computer software use these free NOAA charts? Is there a free reader program or something?

I guess I will download the Rose Point trial edition and give it a look-see...

gljjr wrote:
So far the software I think I will purchase for this task is from Rose Point Navigation and is called Coastal Explorer. This seems like pretty nice software from playing with the trial version. It works great with the free NOAA ENC charts. I'm amazed at the stitching abilities of it as well.

Bluecrab

City/Region: Chestertown, Maryland's Eastern Shore
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Lizzie Ann
Photos: Lizzie Ann
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Raymarine C80 is my normal plotter/nav setup, but I also have a laptop with Maptech Marine Navigator - it's terrific software. I usually use it with some other software for surveying, and wired a separate GPS feed out of the C80 for the laptop. When not in use, the cable is coiled up behind the dash, along with the rest of the wiring.

I kept the dash area in the center (above the entrance to the v-berth) free when rigging the boat, specifically for the laptop. Haven't yet figured out where to mount a compass as a result, but have a handheld just in case. Have done many hundreds of hours on this and other boats with the laptop - although we survey at slow speed, we get smacked periodically by large wakes, and of course run fairly fast through chop to get to survey areas. I usually just put the laptop on a towel or flotation cushion if necessary, and have never had any problems.

Will see if I can post a pic or two, if I can get a gallery set up.

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluecrab wrote:
Will see if I can post a pic or two, if I can get a gallery set up.

There you be, sir! Just look to the left of your message posts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: