The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Columbia River
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pedromo

City/Region: Oxnard
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Casa
Photos: C-Casa
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Columbia River Reply with quote

I'm planning to cruise up river.
Does anyone know of a good place to leave the truck and trailer for 10 days or so near a launching location in the vicinity of Portland?.
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: St Helens, OR Reply with quote

There is a great marina with a good ramp in St Helens, OR. Smack between Scappoose and St Helens. Nice little bay and around the corner you can moor your boat for up to three days w/o cost. The parking lot is wide and has ample space for cars, trucks and trailers.
beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Fred's Marina:

http://www.fredsmarina.com/Welcome-to-Freds.html

They have a launch and I believe will let you keep your truck / trailer there for a daily fee.

Rob
2008 25 Cruiser - Sold
2002 Nordic Tug 32/4 - Sold
1989 40 Tollycraft Sport Sedan
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Brown's Landing...
Pedromo

City/Region: Oxnard
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: C-Casa
Photos: C-Casa
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You guys...!!!
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go to Fred's. I bought a yearly permit at Scappoose for $45 dollars as I recall and you can leave your rig in the parking lot. I do let the marina know that is what I am doing, and no problem so far. At low tide scappoose can get really shallow but it has never been a serious problem to get out. Roger, on "in cahoots" has a slip at St. Helens and he is looking forward to boating out of there. The one thing to watch for there is if you get a slip that is cross current. It really rips through there.
timflan

City/Region: Seattle
Vessel Name: Two Lucky Fish +1
Photos: Two Lucky Fish
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone mind if I hijack this thread?
No, I thought not. Smile

I'm planning a cruise DOWNSTREAM for next summer. I grew up boating on the Columbia near Portland, and I'm fascinated with the idea that you can go from Lewiston, Idaho to the Pacific Ocean on the Snake and Columbia Rivers.

So for 2016 I'm planning a one-week trip of the lower river, with just one set of locks to negotiate. If all goes well, maybe we do the upper half a different year.

So...The Dalles to Astoria is the broad outline. Averages out to 20-25 miles per day, but some days may be longer, and we might explore upstream on the Willamette a bit, as well.

Any tips?
Run the boat in the mornings before the wind kicks up, I guess.
What's it like going through those locks in a tiny boat?
Any alternative to catching a Greyhound (<$50) to get one adult from Astoria (or wherever we end up stopping) back up to The Dalles to drive the truck back down?

Thanks, as always!

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timflan wrote:
Anyone mind if I hijack this thread?
No, I thought not. Smile

I'm planning a cruise DOWNSTREAM for next summer. I grew up boating on the Columbia near Portland, and I'm fascinated with the idea that you can go from Lewiston, Idaho to the Pacific Ocean on the Snake and Columbia Rivers.

So for 2016 I'm planning a one-week trip of the lower river, with just one set of locks to negotiate. If all goes well, maybe we do the upper half a different year.

So...The Dalles to Astoria is the broad outline. Averages out to 20-25 miles per day, but some days may be longer, and we might explore upstream on the Willamette a bit, as well.

Any tips?
Run the boat in the mornings before the wind kicks up, I guess.
What's it like going through those locks in a tiny boat?
Any alternative to catching a Greyhound (<$50) to get one adult from Astoria (or wherever we end up stopping) back up to The Dalles to drive the truck back down?

Thanks, as always!

You can use Amtrack to get along the Columbia River for most of the route. One way Wishram WA (upstream a little from Dalles OR) to Astoria is about $40 one way (2 hours, 40 mins with a transfer in Portland). That might be more fun than a Greyhound. Later in the summer I'm at Ilwaco most weekends. If you had a second car you wanted brought down from Seattle to Ilwaco, I could do that. Of course that would require taking a second person back with you to retrieve the truck/trailer combo. Or if you get someone to drive your truck and trailer from the launch back to Seattle, I could probably drive it down to Ilwaco on a subsequent weekend.

AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No trains run to Astoria. The transfer in Portland will put you on an Amtrak that stops at Longview, about 50 river miles from Astoria. I believe there is a bus that connects to Astoria, but do not know the details.

The lower river, from about Clatskanie to Astoria or Ilwaco, is very scenic, open, lots of wildlife. The Gorge is spectacular, also.

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AstoriaDave wrote:
No trains run to Astoria. The transfer in Portland will put you on an Amtrak that stops at Longview, about 50 river miles from Astoria. I believe there is a bus that connects to Astoria, but do not know the details.

The lower river, from about Clatskanie to Astoria or Ilwaco, is very scenic, open, lots of wildlife. The Gorge is spectacular, also.

You are correct. The Amtrack ticket transfers to a bus at Portland (and the layover time is long at least on the date I checked for 10/31 just to pick a random day).
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

You are right about the winds, sort of, and you are considering the windiest part of the river, Hood River down to Bonneville Dam. The winds do not always lay down overnight overnight: The river flows down hill, the wind blows up hill, usually, but I'd recommend leaving some schedule room through that area.

I think your idea is great. It is a beautiful area, beauty in it's own way.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Chuckpacific

City/Region: SW PDX
Vessel Name: Big Sky
Photos: Big Sky
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going through the locks in a 22 is no big deal. You just need two people (using lines) to keep you centered on the mooring bit with the option to cut line or cast off if it sticks. Contacting the lockmaster is with VHF....he'll tell you whch moring bit to use. The actual water transit is 30 minutes (approx 100 ft) with 10-15 minutes on each end for getting into and out of position. The first time you do it is awesome; every time afterward is boring.
Chuckpacific

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going downstream I heartily endorse using the Clifton and Prairie channels once you leave Cathlamet. You'll be treated to some great scenery and quiet cruising while not having to dodge barges and ocean ships. You end up at Tongue Point ready to dock at Astoria (or Illwaco).
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuckpacific wrote:
Going downstream I heartily endorse using the Clifton and Prairie channels once you leave Cathlamet. You'll be treated to some great scenery and quiet cruising while not having to dodge barges and ocean ships. You end up at Tongue Point ready to dock at Astoria (or Illwaco).
+1 on that route choice. Couple thin spots, especially off Settlers Point, but enter on a rising tide, an hour or so before high tide, and it is an easy route.

Anchoring out in the MARAD Basin just above Tongue Point is a sweet way to grab some solitude.
Chuckpacific

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay on the right at Devil's Elbow...even so much as to grab some of the grass off Horseshoe Island. Yes, Dave's advice is good regarding tide but the tidal fluctuation can be large (6-9') so if you do run into a problem at a lower tide just open a beer and wait.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: