Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Honda 2.3 hp 4 stroke Reply with quote

Went to local boating store to pick up 2 lines for new bumpers. Saw this motor its really light weight. Has its own gas tank no need for red additional tank. Just started thinking about down the road getting a small 2 person dinghy. What are your thoughts on this motor for a dinghy is it adequate? What size dinghy would go with this motor? Like the simplicity of it,but then think maybe need more horsepower if current ,wind or tide comes into scenario.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry- There are many considerations here, and I'll just mention one:

If this 2.3 HP Honda is like the older 2 horse Honda and has a centrifugal clutch that disengages at lower rpm ranges, it can be difficult to use in close quarters when maneuvering.

Reving it up to engage the clutch/drive may produce more thrust than you want in tight situations.

Does it have the centrifugal clutch?

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a 3 hp Johnson. wonderful motor, forward and reverse, Way underpowered. Couldn't plane any dinghy to which it was attached. Used it for years. Finally got a 6 hp Johnson, worlds best dinghy motor. Not made anymore tho I still have it.

And we have 2 outboards now, one a 9.9 Honda. Dependable, quiet but heavy as can be. I think all Hondas are heavy.

I'd look for a 5 HP outboard, with F-N-R. Nissan/Tohatsu springs to mind, but any one will do.

Boris
rob bauerle

City/Region: spokane
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Robbie's Refuge
Photos: Robbie’s Refuge
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Honda. Get the Suzuki
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Suzuki looks like a nice engine, but one possible issue (depending on what you are looking for) is that -- at least last time I looked -- it only comes in short shaft. If that's what you need, no issue of course. However the Honda 2 (2.3 now) comes in long or short.

I've used the older Honda 2 a bunch on a smaller Achilles dinghy. Disadvantages: Noisy and only 2 hp so no planing. Advantages: 28# so easy to load from main boat into dinghy, even with "rubber legs" on inflatable floor. No external tank needed.

I never found the centrifugal clutch to be an issue (although of course F-N-R is nice) but maybe that's because it seemed like a godsend compared to starting up a small engine only to have to immediately turn it 180º to avoid slamming into something ahead (no clutch, neutral, OR reverse). Fun times Very Happy

I do think the Suzuki looks like a nice engine, tho' I have not used one.
Larry Patrick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate responses, Salesman didn't mention about centerfugal clutch,he did say you have to turn it around for reverse. Never used a dinghy ,so im in learning phase ,about them and which motors. Some day plan to go back to keys and may need one there or other boating trips. Not cheap $1200 range for that motor,would tend to be afraid to wonder around after coming to shore with it. Guess there are situations where someone can keep an eye on it? Leaving it to go for groceries or dinner would be a gamble.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want lightest weight and DO need a longshaft for the boat you use, Then the honda is it (owned one). If you can take a little more weight but still need a longshaft, then the Tohatsu/Mercury 3.5 would be a better bet (owned one). If the shortshaft is what you need and you still want light, go for the suzuki or yamaha 2.5 models. If you are wanting to go fast planing speeds then pick the boat first to steer your HP needs then you can go picking a larger model. If slow is fine and you want to go even lighter and somewhat simpler, consider the Torqeedo travel models.

We all have been to a shoreline where leaving the dingy/motor does not feel completely safe and there are security options for that such a cables and motor locks. Thankfully, much of the time, it is not an issue. And if it usually is for you consider different boating grounds.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: 2.5 suzuki Reply with quote

I have this motor and I love it. I can lift it over the gunnel and land it on the dinghy transom with one arm. It is light. It does not have the centrifugal clutch. It has a neutral/forward shift lever. I use it on the WM rollup dinghy, which is also light. It, of course, will plane nothing, but uses very little gas and always starts on the first pull.

As far as will it push the dinghy through chop, rip tide, or up a waterfall, you would have to decide what, where, how you will be using it.

Last edited by anchorout on Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
anchorout

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: 2.5 suzuki Reply with quote

oops! It dittoed on me.
journey on

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used outboards on dinghys for a number of years, in various places, left alone or carefully guarded. Never had a problem. I do run a cable through the dinghy and motor at night, tho. This includes Avalon and Mexico. Marathon as well.

Mine always look a little beat up after spending so much time in the back of the truck. I think that helps.

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a different experience than Boris. I had a brand new (one day old) 13 foot inflatable, and a 25 hp outboard stolen--even though it was cabled to my boat/ The thief came by water, and cut the webbing holding the cable to the bow eye. I normally put an eye bolt in the transom, and peen the head over, so the bolt cannot be backed off--had not done that one that boat.

In may places in the World, I put the dinghy back on the boat at night--probably not necessary for the C Dory cruising area, but the boat I had stolen was in S. Boston. Anchored right in front of S. Boston YC.

My current favorite dinghy motor is the 3.5 Merc--but it is a 2 stroke and only 30 lbs. I have also owned the 2.5 Suzuki--and it was an excellent motor. Both of these have a neutral clutch--and 360 degree steering. Not a big deal not to have reverse, and less to go wrong (no shifting in the lower unit.

I also had one of the Honda 2 hp with centrifical clutch, and got rid of it in a month. All other Honda's I have owned have been good (5, 8 9.0, 15, 90 and 130) have been great motors. The "new" Honda 2.3 shares a lot of the 2 hp--it is air cooled, it has the same displacement of 57 cc. So I suspect it is the 2hp, reworked. Is 2 hp enough? I got caught in a larger inflatable with a 2 hp (the old Johnson 2 cyl)--and the wind was so strong, I could not make way against it. Fortunately I was able to get into the lee of my large Ketch, and my wife threw me a line.

A dinghy motor gives a lot more versatility to your cruising, even in a C Dory.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, Bob. You had a different experience because you were in South Boston. I was in Mexico.

Yes, people have had everything under the sun stolen and it makes good sense to lock things up. I just don't want to be paranoid. So far so good.

Though I'm glad to see we think alike on a 2 HP motor, no matter what the dinghy size.

Boris
Larry Patrick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't really think about theft much ,until this season reading the Hull Truth and the rash of thefts of boats and motors ,even on lifts. People reporting their fishing equipment lifted from their truck,pin fish traps stolen,trailers taken while your out on boat. I think a lot were in Florida , and other states some in Marathon. Its a shame you have to lock everything down,but its the way it is in certain places. On my truck camper have superhitch locked ,generator locked,bikes locked. Not worried about campgrounds ,just once in a while overnight at walmart,cracker barrel,or shopping centers. Better I guess to try and discourage theft ,by not making it easy for them. Planning this season to get a Honda eu 3000 ,not light ,so mounting it on front hitch. Torklift was good enough to choose me as an ambassador,guess they saw me talking good about their products. They chose a bunch of campers and sent them free stuff. Sent me a Lock -n Load front rack to hold generator,its built like a tank and has a lot of metal and big locks that are hard to access.
anchorout

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: theft Reply with quote

On sailboats I often saw dinghys hoisted out of the water by main halyards, and left hanging alongside for the night. Pretty hard to steal. We ran a plastic coated steel cable from OB motor through handle in gas tank, through bow eye (RIB) and to dock or cleat. Gas hose went into our backpack. Never had a problem.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7'6" inflatable keel/floor dinghy (~60 lbs) w/ a 2.5 Suzuki. Works perfectly for us. Adequate power although it will not plane the boat. Water cooled w/ a "F" and "N" lever; no clutch. Will turn the prop even at idle which makes maneuvering in tight quarters a snap and it's light enough to move around with ease.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: