View previous topic :: View next topic  
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: The "joys" of the crowded anchorage Reply with quote

So M and I took the boat to Poulsbo and Eagle Harbor to enjoy both fireworks shows. Liberty Bay (Poulsbo) is huge and we have never run into an issue anchoring out amongst the crowds. Eagle Harbor is considerably smaller.

We pull into Eagle Harbor mid-day, just after noon. It's already crowded with several raft-ups going. Smack dab in the middle is the largest raft of boats, all sailboats from some yacht club, maybe 12-15 boats. We find a spot on their south end, in front of them with sufficient room. Behind us is a big sailboat, had to be 50', so I'm cognizant of it's large swing at anchor. No issue.

Hours pass and we notice that sailboats keep arriving AND rafting up on the south end of the yacht club's raft; three more in just a few hours. Now any "room for error" is negated. I don't say anything but keep it in my mind. Just after dinner I hear "Ahoy, C-Dory captain..." and greet a nice gentlemen from the aforementioned yacht club raft, in his dinghy. He goes on to request that I allow the southern end of their raft to put out another anchor so they don't run into a problem with the swing of the large sailboat, as now the slight breeze has done a 180* swing. Seems they want that anchor so they can pull forward, towards US, and increase THEIR safety.

I tell him well, we were anchored before the three boats (on their raft) pulled in and it's their problem, not mine. He agrees that we "have the right of way" and explains that if I'm not happy with it, they will tell the three end boats (late comers) to move...or we can raft with them, to the end, so WE would get hit by the large sailboat. Uh...no.

I agree to let them pull up towards us a little; no sense pissing off the neighbors. They set an anchor and we all watch. Boy, not much room now; our engine is 10-15' from the end sailboat's bow when it's all settled, but barring a blow, it should work (although it did not appear they cared about my opinion). The last guy on the outside tells me "I hope you don't have to get up in the middle of the night". I tell him that I am not doing that and if it comes, I'll demand they move for OUR safety. He does not seem happy. Too bad.

Now the topper. About 8pm along comes ANOTHER sailboat full of "millennials" (six of them) and they make a bee-line for the south end of the raft...even AFTER the main guy (nice guy on the dinghy) tells them unequivocally there is no room to raft up on the south end.

I hear all this and watch. Sure enough out come the fenders and they motor up to the south end. M speaks up before I do saying respectfully "Uh...hey...there really is not enough room and we were here first". What do we get in return? ATTITUDE. The "captain" stands up and gives M a bullsh*t story about not going to tie up but just "say hi to our friends". Well what's with the lines and fenders then? No answer for that inquiry.

Now I pop my head up over the cabin top and impart my concerns and pull out my right of way rule. What do I get? ATTITUDE. A lot of huffing and puffing and speaking quietly amongst themselves. I ask if their is a "problem"? More undertones and attitude and they speak to the last guy, the guy who was not happy about me telling him I'm not moving at 0 dark thirty 'cause he interfered with my swing area. They finally relent and as they pass, one prick on board looks at M, shakes his head and says something to the effect that she is a female dog.

I again ask if I can "help him" and if he has something to say, perhaps man-up, verbalize it so all can hear and we will deal with the outcome then. He then says that M is "passive-aggressive", which is hilarious. I quickly teach him that no, she was actually aggressive and that passive aggressives, like himself, usually speak quietly when they insult people so as to not look like the instigator. They slowly motored away all while giving me what I call the "f*#k you eye".

I waved and wished them a safe journey back to Seattle. Douche-bags.

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more time I spend around people, the more I like my cat. Especially on extended weekends, and especially when they collect in hordes, guys seem to "testosterone up," (I know i don't have to tell you this) rarely with a pleasant outcome.

Joan and I tend to keep to ourselves, by choice. We both had to work this holiday weekend - she was in Friday Harbor, I was in Roche Harbor. Crowds were big in both. Having worked both before, I knew Roche would be the bigger pain in the butt... and it was. SO many people driving dinghies, paddling kayaks and SUPs, with no regard for traffic. Boats anchored so close you could almost walk across the harbor on them. The attitude of entitlement, where people have no consideration for others. Add the inevitable alcohol, and ... Disgust

I'm glad the holiday weekend is over.

We generally prefer to do our traveling during the shoulder seasons, but that isn't always possible.
localboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny Jim, 'cause at work I'm widely known for two things:

1. In general, I HATE PEOPLE
2. As I get older I feel an affinity to Clint Eastwood in the movie "Gran Torino"..."GET OF MY LAWN" (without the obvious, blatant racism)

It's a bi-product of seeing/dealing with the worst in human beings.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like most people. Our careers couldn't have been more different: I was often dealing with people at their best. Still, dealing with the public allows one to see that even normally decent people have their "moments." Those moments are much fewer for most than with your... um... "clients." Rolling Eyes

That said, I am grateful for people like you who face what you deal with on a daily basis. It would be nice if people could leave their assholiness (new word I made up) behind when those around them are just trying to enjoy their time off, too.

I imagine the burn out rate in your profession must be very high.

Hope the rest of your time on the water was stress-relieving.

Jim
Chuckpacific

City/Region: SW PDX
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Big Sky
Photos: Big Sky
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got our first boat (CD-22) because we loved being on the water. But another reason was that we were tired of camping next to folks that had boom boxes or generators (we later found out that some of those people had boats too). While I generally like boat people (and C-Brats in particular) I find that some of them act as though they are released from the considerations of common sense once they are on the water.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

That's why I avoid places like that, in particular on days and with events that tend to draw crowds. I'll miss the show before getting in the middle of it. I guess it doesn't hurt that in my old age, I am not a fan of fireworks.

Steve

msgchef

City/Region: Washington
State or Province: NC
Photos: Seaweed
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like going out on New Years Eve, Amateur Hour, stay home, stay safe, live to see another day
But the best ships, are friendships,
And may they always be."

2015-2018 Seaweed
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we spent two days in harbor that had large crowds and fireworks. No problems for us. Deer harbor is always a great show and nice people. We watched the fire works from the back of the Kim Christian along with the catch 22 crew. Great night on the water.

Next night was in fishermans bay with my folks. other then being able to hear the off tune band at the resort from a 1/2 mile off shore it was a great time and the best fire works show in the state. They really keep upping the show every year.

localboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had a problem in Poulsbo. One big, huge happy party. We'll pass on Eagle from now on. Perhaps it's too close to Seattle...
Aiviq

City/Region: Juba
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Aiviq
Photos: Aiviq
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was Schroeder (from Peanuts) who said it best: "I love mankind. It's people I can't stand."
beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or Einstein: “Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe.”

Rob
2008 25 Cruiser - Sold
2002 Nordic Tug 32/4 - Sold
1989 40 Tollycraft Sport Sedan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: