View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan McNally

City/Region: Bothell
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Shannon- Colleen
Photos: Shannon-Colleen
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Small vessel reporting system Reply with quote

I have been looking to find information regarding clearing customs when boating. I have found that there is a service called svrs for clearing customs for entering the U.S. at Port Angles and another service called Canpass for entry in to Canada. My question to you is are they helpful? Is it required? Having never boated from the U.S. to Canada what is the normal procedure?. My travel plan was to leave from Neah Bay and travel to Bamfield. But I see that that would need to be changed because they no long allow you to clear customs in Neah Bay.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going from USA to Canada does not require going through an exiting Customs station. You can leave from any port in US and go into Canada, but when you get there, first thing is to check in with Canadian Customs. If you were coming back from Bamfield, you would have to check in at Port Angeles US Customs. If you have a NEXUS Pass, I believe you can call and check in over your phone, on board when crossing the border line, going either way.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Going from USA to Canada does not require going through an exiting Customs station. You can leave from any port in US and go into Canada, but when you get there, first thing is to check in with Canadian Customs. If you were coming back from Bamfield, you would have to check in at Port Angeles US Customs. If you have a NEXUS Pass, I believe you can call and check in over your phone, on board when crossing the border line, going either way.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

With a NEXUS pass you can call in and sometimes checkin via phone alone. However, sometimes you are asked to proceed to the nearest Canadian customs port. Similar on the return although it's rare to have to stop at customs coming back into the US as a US person with a NEXUS pass. YMMV but you should plan your trip into either country to have an arrival at a customs port.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: