The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Tomcat in big wind waves?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westie

City/Region: Bodega Bay
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: True North
Photos: Westie
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Tomcat in big wind waves? Reply with quote

Hi,
I have been fishing SF bay a lot lately. We get some pretty good wind and accompanying wind waves. I am struggling to find a comfortable ride in following (or 45 degrees) wind waves. I feel like I'm getting sucked in to a wave and then the next one hits and I feel a slide that I dont like. Would permitabs help? Should I travel directly with the waves and cut over?

These conditions are maybe 3-4 foot waves very closely stacked.

Any general advice would be helpful.
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had 4-5' wind waves last weekend. We had to head into them until we rounded the peninsula, then had them hitting us broadside for the ride home. When there are short intervals it's no fun at any speed. Despite the pounding we took we felt better knowing we weren't in a monohull. I've had more than my share of feeling like we were going to capsize with every swell.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately this feeling is common in most power cats--even the big ones (60 or so feet), but the boats just slide sideways as you describe. To capsize, you would need breaking waves, of 16 feet or more, and a very short period. The capsize is not going to happen with reasonable boat handling skills.

Quote:
Would trim tabs help?
Trim tabs are difficult to put on cats. It might be possible with the Tom Cat and the Armstrong Bracket, but there is some question about what the water flow would be like, and actually increasing handling problems.

I put Permatrims on the Suzuki 150's, to see if I could get a lower planing speed--I was successful, but all in all, I didn't think they were worth it. I don't think they would help the issues you describe. Enjoy the boat, get used to its handling characteristics, and don't worry. I believe that you know the SF bay/entrance well enough that you would not put the boat in harms way.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Tomcat in big wind waves? Reply with quote

I live in Eureka Ca. in the open ocean we get those conditions way to often. Dr. Bob "Thataway" is correct. I have never come close to a capsize and have been caught in conditions that are much worse than you describe. I have found that if we 1/4 the waves it is a more comfortable ride. And when possible I try for a following sea. The Tomcat does slip in the trough a little. But, it is a very stable platform. Just try to stay out of conditions that you do not feel are safe.

Gene

Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always try to 1/4 the waves, and in that type of waves, following seas are much smoother than banging into them head or even 1/4 on.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Westie

City/Region: Bodega Bay
Vessel Name: True North
Photos: Westie
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice!

I was out again today and the wind machine was tuned up. It wasn't as bad as yesterday. The waves were maybe 3' and I tilted the engine to raise the bow and kept enough speed to advance though them - very comfortable.

I think I just need to get used to the feeling of a cat. It's a fishing machine but, like every boat, has it's characteristics.

Oh - I landed a nice 15 lbs Chinook and was treated to a serious whale show today so that made for a great 4th!

Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: