Anchor Roller for Rocna 13 lb

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil Barnes

City/Region: Colorado /San Juan Islands
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Swan-C
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Anchor Roller for Rocna 13 lb Reply with quote

We recently purchased a 13 lb Rocna for use on the CD-22 Cruiser with a V700 Lewmar Winch. The existing bow roller is a Windline BRM-2, which came with the boat and seems to be well suited for a Bruce or Lewmar Claw type anchor. We thought replacing the 16.5 lb Lewmar Claw with a Rocna would be an upgrade worth doing. The Rocna doesn't work with this roller. Basically it doesn't stay in the roller and comes out of the roller with the slightest angle on entry or if there is any increase in resistance as the barrel swivel or anchor shaft come into the roller. The BRM-2 does not have a bail.

I know folks have successfully used the Manson Supreme with a medium Sea Dog Anchor Roller as described by Retriever and others in another post on anchors. The shaft of the Manson Supreme is very different from that of the Rocna, so that roller may or may not work for the Rocna.

The shaft of the Rocna is more like the Lewmar Delta Fast Set in that it has several change of angles in the shaft and the upper shaft is very narrow in width as you look down on it and "tall" when you look at the shaft from the side in the roller.

Does anyone have a Rocna on a CD-22 with a winch? If so, what anchor roller have you found to work well?

Any input is appreciated!
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My medium sea dog fits both the 15# Manson Supreme & huge shanked Manson Boss 25#, so it should fit the Rocna. I have photos of the Manson Boss mounted on the sea dog in my photo album, which it may be worth your checking. Where I'm at now I can't use the iPad to show you the photo.

Jay

sillawydna

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Lumpsucker
Photos: sillawydna
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a winch, but I do have a 22 with a 22# Rocna and upgraded the bow roller to this:
http://www.fisheriessupply.com/lewmar-delta-anchor-bow-rollers-66840009

Works absolutely perfect and is the perfect size for that anchor. I believe they make a shorter version that may work for the smaller anchor.

Andy
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This what we use .
Marc

Phil Barnes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the information! I will give the Lewmar options a try for best working fit since they have been used with the Rocna and go from there.

Still hoping to find someone using a winch with the Rocna on a CD 22 to see what roller they are using. Looks like Marc uses the pivoting roller successfully. I have seen this roller on a Ranger Tug but don't recall seeing one on a CD 22.

Beginning to think that the Mason Supreme may have been an easier fit for the CD 22?

Will let you know where I land so the info is available to others.

Phil
Phil Barnes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HunkyDory, Great photos of the medium Sea Dog with the Manson Boss. Looks like it works very well and keeps the anchor out from the bow a good distance. Couldn't tell from the photo with the resolution I had but are you using a winch with this roller as well?

Also, interested in the stainless bow protection plates that you have installed. Were those custom or sourced off the shelf.

Enjoy your time up north!

Phil
williwaw

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Williwaw
Photos: Williwaw
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you though about how you're going to install it? It's unlikely the new bolt pattern will be the same as what you have now.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a new roller with a different bolt pattern. Since I was overdrilling/filling the new holes anyway, it was scarcely any extra trouble to fill the old ones (with thickened epoxy). At least in my case, they were then covered by the new roller so didn't need any cosmetic finishing. I simply chiseled them off flush in the green stage.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, yes, I'm I'm using a H700 Lewmar windless & the anchor drops & retrieves without manual assistance. Also like Sunbeam, I had to reposition the new anchor roller & it was not difficult to do.

The bow protectors, I have adapted from glue on stainless, I purchased from, I believe west Marine. Other than the trouble with the abherance they have provided good protection, especially from my old Lewmar 22# claw & the previous much smaller roller. So far the Manson Boss isn't making contact on the drop & retrieval.

Jay
Phil Barnes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the information! Several ways to get successfully to the endpoint on this issue. I chose the Lewmar that Sillawydna uses which is this: http://www.fisheriessupply.com/lewmar-delta-anchor-bow-rollers-66840009.
I liked the pivoting roller but mounting was more challenging to get it out far enough to clear the bow so that it lowered completely. The pivoting arm would have likely provided a smoother operation, albeit somewhat out of sight as the arm would be below the sight line when down.
I went with the fixed Lewmar of the larger size (~23 inches long) which gives sufficient clearance between the bow and the point on the Rocna. Seems to work fine.
I used the mounting process described by others in the thread. The new roller covered the holes from the old roller, so no cosmetic finish to manage.
It is likely that the medium Sea Dog or other options would have also worked well.
After watching the anchor come into the new Lewmar, I think one of the problems with the Windline BRM-2 for this anchor may have been that it was too narrow (1.75 inches) to allow the Rocna shaft to flip around to proper entry angle if it didn't come in perfectly straight, causing it to bind and then jump the rollers.

Thanks again for the input and ideas. What a great group and wealth of experience that is readily shared!

Phil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: