The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

DESSERT 1st, Northbound -> Erie Canal !
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flint

City/Region: Marathon
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Grace Full
Photos: Grace Full
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Erie Canal trip Reply with quote

Hi all,
Just read about the trip to the Erie Canal and we plan to be there by the first week of August. We are planning to do the little triangle loop by going into Canada and buck to the Erie. We plan at least six weeks to do this or longer. We will leave by the end of Sept. And trailer back to Marathon, Fl. with a stop on the St. John's river. Hope to see you all along the way.

Flint and Leslie
M/V Grace Full
26 Venture
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: A/C Reply with quote

Casey i'm glad your trip is working out for you guys . As far as A/C's go we bought one years ago and it just fits 5000btu the only thing we do is put a throw cushion in front of the window and lay A/C on it so most of the A/C unit is on the outside of cabin and then use noodles or towels ( ghetto look) Casey to fit in window one must take skrew out of the window struts and push to the side then A/C goes in fine . What we have done is put wing nuts on window struts to take off easier .Maybe go through my album and see if not give a call Jim

Look at photo 36 and 84 of 88 photos for CC23
36 shows the struts that hold up window take skrews out and put wing nuts on and when putting in A/C take out skrews and push struts over to side the picture 84 shows the frigerdere A/C for $100 or so at HD or Lowes ?

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
maryvmcclain

City/Region: Summerlin
State or Province: NV
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob made a little wooden stand for ours. I think there are pictures here but if you need more info I'll gwtget him to measure and describe. He didn't have to change the struts as Jenny Katz suggested. I think Cape cruisers may have different window frames from Ventures? We needed the wood stand because the angle didn't seem to work to lean on the cabin top as it does for the 22s but our model size, from Lowe's, might also be different. When we gathered with the NC loopers we compared everyone's solutions and there all a little different. No one else made a stand but then they were all 22s I think. Or thwythey had rooftop units. Everyone needed one to survive so iI was awfully glad we dragged it along.

Steve Baum suggestion goes beyond the foam noodles. He took one of those disposable silver foil picnic bags, cut it up, and used sticky tape, velcro, or even duck tape to further seal the window. We didn't find the insulated silver bag but I did it with a couple of freezer bags . It does seem to rain in no matter what we did.. And it rained a lot. Our cabin got pretty wet!

We used it every day on the Erie. Sometimes if it was raining, we just set it up inside the camper canvas on the cooler and pointed it into the cabin. No, it wasn't sealed in, and it didn't entirely work but with the fans going it did cool us down enough that we were happy to have it.

We highly recommend a side trip to Niagara Falls. We rented Enterprise who picked us up from some little marina and spent a night or two in a cool, air-conditioned motel as a side trip and we really enjoyed the falls. Also did the same thing to go to Burlington VT for a night and saw Ft Ticonderoga on the way back to the boat.. Extremely beautiful area up there.

Have fun!

Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is our seventh night at Liberty Landing and the rent is up in the morning, so we'll be headed up the Hudson with the tide.

NYC has been a lot of fun and we've about 'touristed ourselves to death. We spent about five hours at the 9/11 Memorial and still didn't see it all. We thought it was EXTREMELY well done, but several non-stop hours of very emotional recollections, and the pain involved told us it was time to get on with seeing the City. We spent two days riding one of the many hop-on hop-off double decker tour busses and learned a LOT about the city. Money well spent. Today was our day for Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. Both were very impressive but Ellis Island and the whole immigrant story was captivating, and Very well done (even though NPS is still trying to recover after the damage from Hurricane Sandy).

All in all this has been a great stop-over. Tomorrow morning we'll continue our Adevnture northward toward the Erie Canal!

Best,
Casey&Mary

jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an amazing trip I hope to be following behind soon.

Casey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We made it to Waterford, NY (the eastern end of the Erie Canal)! The trip up from NYC was enjoyable and very scenic. Passing West Point was very impessive, and the various ships were always a sight to see.

Our arrival at Waterford was easy and we got a space on the dock with electricity. (The dock is free, with a one-time charge $10 for electricity. Heck of a deal.). We're told there is a farmer's market right here at the little park this morning. Last night we walked up to the Angry Penguin Tavern, and I had the best reuben sandwich I've ever eaten.

No big projects for today (we've pretty well decided to stay-over and depart tomorrow (?). We'll walk to the grocery store and probably defrost the freezer (I'm a little more sensitive to that now ... Smile. We were told that if we contact the manager at the grocery store and tell him we're on a boat, he'll release the wheel lock on the grocery cart so we can bring purchases back to the boat. The store then retrieves its carts every few days. Very accommodating.

Today is Day100, with 2093sm under the hull so far. This has been a Great trip, and feels like we're now entering a new chapter ... the Erie Chapter! We don't have any firm plans - but know that we have to be off the water by early November when they close the Canal! How's that for loose-planning!? We bought a "season pass" ($50) yesterday, so we may just be Erie Canal Boat Bum's for a while. Later ... We'll decide when/where/how we'll leave the boat for a month or so and fly back too FL to retrieve the truck and trailer. We'll probably do that from somewhere on the western end of the Erie (ie. fly out of Buffalo?), SO IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS/SUGGESTIONS, PLEASE LET US KNOW.

Interesting tidbit from yesterday: we met a fellow in a Camano Troll, who's going to meet a friend from Panama, who's further up the Canal. His friend's wife is(was?) the first female pilot on the Panama Canal! These folks have a one-of-a-kind Rosborough26 RIB !! A Rosborough RIB; hell of an idea. I'd love to see it but evidently they are all headed west to explore the Georgian Bay. HAS ANYONE HEARD OF ROSBOROUGH DOING THIS? We were told it was a special production/experimental project, not a production model. Sounds like an interesting idea though....

Best,
Casey&Mary
PS: I stand corrected(!) ... Rosborough DOES make a 26 and 30 foot RIB (Mary just Googled it...) called the "Rough Water." Heck of an Idea.
BoaterHomer

City/Region: The Villages
Vessel Name: DESSERT 1st
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rosborough Rough Water™ 9.11 looks like a great boat and with TWO 150's, I'm sure it flies! The 9.11 stands for meters (9.11 meters is 29' 11").

This link has some great photos inside and out: http://www.rosboroughboats.com/leisure-series/

‎"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Our boat trip photos: http://caseyandmary.smugmug.com
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!
BoaterHomer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey said:
Quote:
We were told that if we contact the manager at the grocery store and tell him we're on a boat, he'll release the wheel lock on the grocery cart so we can bring purchases back to the boat.

And it worked like a champ. The wheels of the cart screeched to a halt until the employee pointed his hand-held device at the wheel. Then it magically released the brakes and away we went.

Over the Hudson River with our loot:

Through the small-town-America town of Waterford:

We were making good progress until Casey heard the music playing. Then the wheels of the cart screeched to a halt again. He hadn't seen an ice cream truck in many, many years and couldn't resist:

This morning's farmers market was great, complete with bakery goods and live music. Free dock, free showers, free FAST & strong wi-fi, only $10 for electricity for as long as you want to stay (not per day!), a cute town with restaurants, grocery stores and friendly people. And a beautiful state park adjacent to the docks with great places to explore in the kayak. I'm trying to figure out why we don't stay here for a week or two! But the excitement of the first lock of the Erie Canal being so close we can see it is tempting us to move on. (Dessert 1st in lower right corner of photo, the gates of the first lock are the dark square toward upper left corner)

We had a very nice surprise this morning: A visit from a fellow C-Brat, Mike Wyles, who came aboard to chat with us, give us information about the area, AND a ride to the grocery store. Thank you, Mike! We love the friendly folks on C-Brats!
Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Casey & Mary,

You'll find that the Erie is one of the most fun cruises. It's as fun as Lake Powell in a different way.

10 years ago, I left Hunky Dory at the East Pier Marina on the Niagara River while we went to get our truck. It was secure and only about 1/2 mi from the local ramp. They were very accommodating at the marina. There were a couple of marinas north of Buffalo on the Niagara River.

Rick from Maine
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey and Mary, I brought one of my old threads back to life for you re. the 246Rib. IF you go through all the replies you can find the owners website which chronicles their boat and its journeys. Lots of pictures as well. The owners are members here and left some comments in the thread.

A testament to the true "custom" build the company offered. Apparently they hatched the idea one afternoon having a drink with Bob Rosborough. Bob told them "I can do that" and a boat was born.

Regards, Rob

Casey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob,

I'm surprised I didn't see that thread back in 2012 given the amount of time I spend on C-Brats. (Then again, maybe I DID see it, and forgot. [that seems to be happening more and more]) anyway....

Story time: Your comment about how this boat was developed reminded me of a similar experience. Back in the mid 1980's (1983 or 84 as I recall) I was tasked with buying a new patrol boat for Katmai National Park and Preserve (Alaska). I searched and searched but couldn't find the "right" boat ... so I began calling builder's to see who could build what I wanted. Everybody had cold feet.

Finally, I met a guy named Paul Hureu, with the Commercial Products Division of Boston Whaler. With his can-do attitude and expertise, and a little input from me, we came up with a totally new law enforcement patrol boat. Boston Whaler called it the "Challenger." Katmai NPP ended up with hull #1.

The boat could not be barged to Alaska until about April, so Paul asked me if BW could display it at the commercial boat show in New Orleans (LA). The boat was all finished (complete with the NPS arrowhead and green slash...), so I said "sure ... But remember, it's not mine until it's safely unloaded in Naknek. Alaska." He said "no problem" so Challenger 1, was off to New Orleans. From what I was told later, BW took orders for over two dozen of the boats while at the show. Nowadays you see the Challenger24 (and a newer Challenger27) all over the country.

Damn ... I KNEW I should have held-out for some kind of Royaly Agreement!!

Best,
Casey&Mary

Moon
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey wondering if you saw the Macys fireworks,also curious how long from Statue of Liberty to West point? Someday may try cruise from Beacon or Newburg and stay at Liberty Landing. Guess your well past Poukepsie? Walkway over the Hudson is a good stop. Docking by bridge restaurants there, about a 3 mile walk across 2 brides thru town one of the bridges has whats called bridge music. An artist created music from all parts of the bridge,you listen at intervals as crossing.Walkway over the Hudson attracts people from all over. Hudson is known as the river that flows both ways,they have signs there explaining it. Good pictures with shopping cart,your finding a lot of good tips.
BoaterHomer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, I'm responding since I got a kick out of the interesting timing on your post. Just this morning, this was my Facebook post:

Here is a short You Tube video (less than a minute) of Casey on a floating barrel dock in Poughkeepsie, NY where you can tie up overnight for free by simply patronizing the restaurant. I really wanted to stop because there is an awesome bridge that goes across the Hudson River here. But just stepping off the boat onto the dock was a challenge. Between the wakes from the passing freighters, the squirrley dock, and the loud trains, we stopped only long enough to make a sandwich and then continued on to a quiet, protected marina at Mills Norrie State Park.

http://youtu.be/602EGNbW0MI

We were sorry we didn't get to walk over the bridge, but maybe we'll get a chance when we come back in the future to tour West Point.

We saw fantastic fireworks at Liberty Landing from the 78' Fleming docked beside of us. They were blocking our view so invited us aboard for an East River cruise under the Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Williamsburg bridges, and around the Statue of Liberty, followed by dinner, followed by champagne and fireworks. (We forgave them for blocking our view!)

From the Statue of Liberty to West Point is 53sm. Here is a good Hudson River mileage chart:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/remediation_hudson_pdf/hrmilesmap.pdf
Casey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea ... what Mary said.

West Point (USMA) is spectacular from the water. Alas, there isn't any place to tie-up and go ashore. (Previously I had contacted a retired SGM at the USMA Visitor Center, and he referred me to the Harbormaster. The small dock is being reconstructed, but even when done, it's only for gov't vessels.). Oh well, maybe some other Day if we ever drive up here.)

Mary's YouTube video of the Mariner Restaurant's dock is a hoot. If you've never seen a bucking dock (or an 'ol guy trying to fend his boat off the dock...), watch it! Gives new meaning to Rock-and-Roll !

Cleared the "Watertown Flite" of five locks yesterday; no problem. We continued through Lock 8 (Scotia Lock) and spent the night on the west wall. No electricity, but otherwise comfortable aside from the nearby highway and occasional passing train.

Does anyone have a list of the (free) lock walls that have electricity or the town docks with various amenities? I've looked at the tourist literature and although it's pretty informative - they don't seem to advertise when free stuff is available. (Understandable ... folks along the the Canal need to make a living too.)

"...twenty-seven miles on the Erie Canal..." (maybe a new song idea for Capt. Bathurst!)

Best,
C&M
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: