The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

DESSERT 1st, Northbound -> Erie Canal !
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: DESSERT 1st, Northbound -> Erie Canal ! Reply with quote

Being able to change plans is one of the things that keeps Life interesting.

As readers of this thread already know, we are northbound on the ICW (from Florida). What you don't know is that we've shifted gears and are now headed on farther north ... for the Erie Canal! The NEW plan is to spend time on the Erie then (probably) fly back to FL, retrieve the truck and trailer and trailer the boat home sometime before the snow flies. Logistics and details are still up in the air!

Part of this was driven by the heat/humidity on the Chesapeake (which was killing me), and part was my inclination to not retrace the ICW all the way to Florida. With the new plan it'll all be new ground for us! Frankly, I fear that the heat on the Erie Canal will still be an issue, but at least it will be new territory to explore. (And we understand there are ice cream stands Everywhere!)

We are currently anchored on the NJICW at Surf City, NJ. Tomorrow should find us 48miles north in Manasquan, NJ and watching the wx for the 27mile outside run up to Sandy Hook, then into NYC for a week of touristing. We're presently planning to stay at "Liberty Landing" (about 1.5mi from the Statue of Liberty).

Today was Day89 with 1835sm since leaving home. So far, it's been a heck of a trip!

Due to the changed plans I plan to open another thread on C-Brats that may find interest or comments from folks up here in the northlands! The new thread will be titled: DESSERT 1st, Northbound -> Erie Canal !

Best,
Casey&Mary

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea to go North. We bypassed the Chesapeake in the summer when doing the East Coast--and found it far better in the fall. You can go right on up to Canada, if you want cooler weather--and some beautiful scenery!
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
bcassal

City/Region: BLoomington
State or Province: IN
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Carpy
Photos: Carpy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mary & Casey,
I know you are following Hunky Dory & Discovery's Southeast Alaska trip and I want you to note my comments to Jay apply to you as well. I have been following your ICW trip if the same enthusiasm and good feelings. I am very glad to hear your extending up the Hudson and to the Erie Canal. We had wanted to do a similar trip last spring on Carpy. We had a nice tour of lake Champlain and took the Champlain Canal down to the Hudson. Time constraints kept us from continuing on the Hudson to NYC, which was our grand plan. Take a look at Lake Champlain, its a beautiful area. I know you will enjoy the northern waters and I will looking forward to your travelogue and Mary's wonderful pictures.

Bon Voyage,
Bruce & Joyce
Carpy
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You two know even as we continue our own cruise, whenever we can make internet contact one of the first things we do is see where you are & what you have been doing. Thanks much for continuing to share this second phase of this year travels.
Casey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce - I don't know if you've ever been to the antique wooden boat show in St. Michaels (MD), but with your interests in restoring wooden boats, you would be enthralled. Many FANTASTIC old vessels.

J&J - yea, same for us. We love reading about the Beyers/Bentenson Expedition whenever there is a new 'post.

RE having Wifi - we've become almost addicted. Mary has one of those newer large size iPhones (Max?), and loves it. She loves her grandfathered "unlimited" Verizon data plan as well (and uses a LOT of data). I have the standard AT&T iPhone with grandfathered data, but splurged and bought a data plan for the Verizon iPad; and love being able to use the 'net just like at home.

Last night during Happy Hour we commented on our (anticipated) Canadian canal travel next summer. Doing the Trent Severn and Rideau Canals in 2016 will be fun - but doing it without connectivity makes us both shudder. Even thinking about it makes it feel like I'm in 'withdrawal! (We'll have to research the Canadian connectivity options this winter.). (Last summer, during our european travel, we learned that the two things we can't live without are (1) wifi, and (2) ice cubes! (Happily, the CoolFreeze 50 takes care of the ice cube issue.)

RE: travel to NYC and north. Frankly, I never really had a great desire to boat through New York City, but have changed my mind. I figure "...we're here, so let's Do It !" I felt the same about going all the way (109sm) up the Potomac River to Washington (DC), but figured what-the-heck, let's go-for-it. And it was a GREAT week; maybe my favorite of the whole trip. Now I'm expecting the same of NYC. I guess I'm just a tourist at heart. (Jim&Joan's comments about NYC and Liberty Landing did a lot to turn-me-around. They had a ball!)

Anyway, that's the status of things at the moment. I expect to make future comments on this thread (versus the original FL North thread...) so check here first for new stuff on our travels. Also: if you haven't done so yet, check-out Mary's Facebook page. She is a Very active Facebook'er, and makes pictorial entries virtually every day.

Time for a second cup of coffee, then up-anchor and head for Manasquan, NJ (and hopefully) NYC on Friday or Saturday (although Wx is making it look like Sunday might be the best travel day). Too bad the (NJ) ICW doesn't go ALL the way....

Stay 'tuned - the Adventure continues!

Best,
Casey&Mary
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy reading of your adventures. The Canadian canals are beautiful - you will enjoy them next year. We have spent 6 weeks on the Trent(4 trips). Visited many parts of the Rideau on the hard and some boating(rowing) but that was 40 years ago. We are hoping to do the Rideau next year if all goes well. Our boating is on hold right now, just had a defibrillator put in last week. We usually go in the off season - before July 1 or after Labour Day.

By connectivity do you mean how to get from one end back to where you started? If you start at Ottawa - you can come down the Rideau then connect Kingston to Trenton and then up the Trent to Port Severn. Or vice versa. You could then take a bus from Port Severn back to Ottawa to retrieve your tow rig.

If I can assist you with anything let me know.

Regards, Rob

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: DESSERT 1st, Northbound -> Erie Canal ! Reply with quote

At Troy New York where you can make a left towards the Erie Canal or head straight on up the Hudson and to the Champlain Canal and thru to Lake Champlain and to Rouces Point at the top of Lake Champlain. From there it's only another 20 miles or so up the Richelieu River into Canada if you have your passports handy to the Chambly canal. The second choice might be a little cooler. Kingston New York is a nice stop. The restaurant right on the creek there has a great outside bar and a decent restaurant right across the creek from a cozy little Marina. Free wall with power at Troy if you make the left towards the Erie Canal and the free wall will be on your right. If that is full right across the river is a boat and canoe club that is about 35 dollars a night. Side tie easy peezy. Nice people walking distance to stores.
Nothing wrong with the Erie Canal Palmyra, Newark, Fairport, Brockport and Spencerport were our favorite towns. Can't get much cheaper dockage with power up in them there hills.
Nice people almost everywhere up there.
D.D.

Casey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The surprised never end.

It's Thursday, and we arrived at Liberty Landing (NYC) at 1330!

At 0715 this morning the offshore Wx looked pretty 'doable, and we were only ten miles south of Barnegat Inlet, so we decided to "go take a look." At 1130 we were rounding the point at Sandy Hook. 3hours and fifteen minutes and seventy seven miles later we were cruising into NYC! Nice to have a boat that can get-up and move when prompted. Overall mileage for the trip: 1931 (96 today).

Time for a nap!

Best,
Casey&Mary
Two Bears

City/Region: Orofino
State or Province: ID
Vessel Name: Two Bears
Photos: Two Bears
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey & Mary,
We trailer-ed east in 2012 and spent a month traveling east and attending a convention. We then spent the month of August on the Eire Canal. I knew academically it would be hot, but as a westerner who had never lived in the east/ or Midwest we were totally devastated by the heat/ humidity. In planing the trip I did not want to be tied to the grid and I hung in there and refused to buy a small air conditioner: One of the stupidest & most stubborn things I've ever done. In "hindsite" we were gone 102 days and had power all but 22 of those nights. I bought two 12 volt fans and a 120 volt fan but would not buy an air conditioner.
Last year we attended a convention in Richland, WA (central basin = hot -hot-hot) on the Columbia River with a marina in front of the convention hotel. So I bought an $99 air conditioner at Walmart that fit in the front window of Two Bears. It was great. It definitely will be going with us when we trailer east and do the Mississippi River this summer. It just fit, and we use a towel & odd clothing to make a seal around the window frame.

You have probably been told this, but there is quite a difference between the eastern and western halves of the the Eire Canal. The eastern half has larger cites and the canal is in the old industrial sections of the city. West of Oneida Lake the towns are smaller, and they want your business, so they offer reasons to hang around. You will enjoy them more. Check out the clock museum and the painted ladies in Newark. Folding bikes really prove their worth.

Chuck

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck,

We visited the northern stretch of the Mississippi River and before we went, I got a small air conditioner from some big box store, 5000BTU, and it would run on a Honda 1000. While we were plugged in a lot, there were nights when that little Honda ran all night and saved our marriage. So one can get A/C whilst anchored out.

As for the Eire Canal, at one time it may have run through big cities it's now goes through small towns. Here's a picture of Waterford, the eastern terminus. It's a town that certainly reminds one of the small towns of the '50's. Friendly, bueatiful and small. The west end now halts before Buffalo; there's not a big industrial city on the canal. It's wonderful.

Boris

Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey and Mary,very impressive boating tour .That many days sure must have a lot of great memories ,been following your trip,your photos and description of highlights thanks for sharing.
Casey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, it's been a wonderful trip.

Knowing that the Erie Canal will be uncomfortably hot, I'm giving some thought to buying one of the Walmart $99 5000btu air conditioners. Two problems: (1) no Walmart's at hand (but I'll be watching)' and (2) not sure how easy/difficult it might be to rig on the fly. (Would have been Much better to have it, properly I stalled, before departure!). I read about Chuck's improvised installation and that might be doable with some type of pool noodles or other items to fill the gaps. ...would be interested in other's ideas and experiences.

Best,
C&M
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject: AC Reply with quote

Hi Casey
Joyce and I have been enjoying your reports of your trip. What an adventure! All sounds like fun except the heat. Our previous boat if you remember had an AC on the roof.....worked well. The 25 we recently purchased would not fit in our Florida aircraft hanger with a roof unit so we bought a $109 unit from Kmart. ( it was a Sears unit) We did not have a WM near by. Stuffed towels around it at first and then bought pool noodles.....works well. We brought the 25 (My Girl) back from Virginia to Wisconsin so that we could rig it to our liking for SCUBA diving in September. When we were down in Marathon last Sept. I told Joyce that if the AC went out I would be out.

Nice and cool in Wisconsin this morning....had to turn on the heat!

Happy 4th of July to you and Mary

Tom and Joyce Schulke CD25 "My Girl"
Flint

City/Region: Marathon
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Grace Full
Photos: Grace Full
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Erie Canal trip Reply with quote

Hi all,
Just read about the trip to the Erie Canal and we plan to be there by the first week of August. We are planning to do the little triangle loop by going into Canada and buck to the Erie. We plan at least six weeks to do this or longer. We will leave by the end of Sept. And trailer back to Marathon, Fl. with a stop on the St. John's river. Hope to see you all along the way.

Flint and Leslie
M/V Grace Full
26 Venture
Casey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will hope to see any 'Brats along the way"
We will be departing NYC Thursday morning headed up the Hudson.
For those who don't already have it, our SPOT address is:
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0eg71TJmDHECiGqSvFM05PuHgY9XbCayZ

Best,
Casey&Mary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: