View previous topic :: View next topic  
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: The world's smallest personal locating AIS MOB device Reply with quote

http://oceansignal.com/products/mob1/

Saw this for sale on Fisheries Supply e-mail. I had never seen it before. Opinions?

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are relative new yet respected
from
http://www.panbo.com/archives/2012/11/ocean_signal_rescueme_best_plb_yet.html

from 2012

The Ocean Signal RescueMe PLB introduced this morning at METS is not just a little smaller than the competition; it's purportedly 30% smaller in volume and that claim seems borne out by the photo. Size is important because the smaller a distress beacon is the more likely it is that the owner will have it with him or her when it's actually needed. Of course when things go wrong a PLB has got to work well too, even if it's years old, and the RescueMe also looks good in those terms...

RescueMe has a 7 year battery life and a 7 year warranty to match, plus a 66 channel GPS that's probably very quick to cold start (the chips just get better and better) and a simple test routine. Ocean Signal, a relatively new but respected name in marine safety gear, also claims that its PLB is easily activated with one hand, which is nicely illustrated in a RescueME video put together by it's U.S. distributor Datrex. Note though that the RescueMe is not yet approved by the FCC and therefore is not yet priced or available in the U.S.

Note too that the RescueMe does not float but it does come with a (somewhat bulky-looking) flotation lanyard and a "unique mounting clip" (that maybe Kees will check out today). Its antenna is definitely a first ever and clever-looking design; it appears as efficient and well protected as a tape measure but without a spring to fail. Well done, Ocean Signal!

Last year I bought a ACR with either a rebate or a bag of goodies and selected the latter (yah more boat stuff) for under $200

I don't feel it is too big and it floats.
I keep it is the free waterproof bag along other items

m2cw

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not a substitute for a personal locator beacon or EPRIB, but a supplement. I might use this for my racing crew on an ocean race. If someone fell overboard, and the ships radio was on, it would trigger an alert, and then by AIS (up to 5 miles --probably less in most circumstances) you could locate the MOB. Very handy for that. But, if I am solo, or just two of us, and one went overboard, I suspect I would rather have the PLB, which works off the satellite. We do have an AIS receiver, and if the boat was within a few miles, and Marie wanted to get me…?? then I would be saved with one of these person AIS devices.

Even for a couple, this would be good. We were on a panel where one of the wives was below sleeping, and the husband went on deck to tend to a line, and fell over board. He yelled, as the boat sailed away. She did awaken and had no idea how long ago he fell overboard. She could not see him. Started the engine, and sails flying, she attempted to retrace her track (before GPS was common) Fortunately she did find him, and had a life sling. It was a real struggle to get him aboard. About a month after the seminar, we got a phone call from her. "Joe had run off with another woman!"…

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
BrentB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry I confused the Mob1 to their PLB models

I bought an ACL PLB last year and prefer it to the MOB1 device

bb
BrentB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ocean Signal MOB1 adds a DSC feature whereby an individual distress call is made directly to your own boat (your MMSI is programmed by a PC program communicating with the unit held to the computer screen via flickering light). This helps if your MFD does know how to display an AIS SART or does not have a MOB alarm. A DSC VHF radio will ring reliably without special provisions or software upgrades. Then, in a second step, if you are conscious, the MOB1 lets you issue an all ships DSC distress call by pressing a button. In either case, it seems that the Ocean Signal device only sends out a single DSC distress call because it only has DSC transmit abilities and thus can not receive a DSC acknowledgement, but we are checking on this detail.

PANBO 2014

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2014/11/mets_2014_ais_mob_class_a_n2k_torqeedo_app_wave_wifi_router_more.html
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We purchased an ACR PLB two yrs ago and outfitted our vests w/ flashing strobes at the same time. Right before our long trip to Desolation. Activating the strobes can be problematic (fine motor skills involved) but they are SOLAS approved and far more visible than LEDs, although also larger.

I was just curious as to what the brain-trust thought. I realized the limitations of this product, but I like the direction technology is headed: smaller, longer battery life, LED strobe light included, auto activation, mounts on vest etc.

Pretty soon we may have one "implanted" in us...

Shocked Laughing
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like a really good idea to me. If you have an AIS receiver (VHF radio hooked to GPS) and Chartplotter, this seems to me to be the quickest way for rescue providing there is someone on the boat who can manage the boat, (steer, throttle and understands the chart plotter). The DSC signal will certainly get attention and the MOB or AIS Emergency signal on the chart plotter, then the task is to get the boat to the target. For couples that boat together this should not be a problem.

Next step is to get the wet one back on board. Hopefully this device shortens the in water time, and allows the rescue to take place well before the official rescue agencies are on scene.

Mark, thanks for posting this. I didn't see and pricing yet, but it seems like it would be a good investment -- well maybe except for Bob's friends wife.Wink

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

BrentB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOB1 $300

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/ocean-signal-rescueme-ais-mob1-dw-mob-1?utm_source=Fisheries+Supply+Mailing+List&utm_campaign=1a067c0ecb-20150701-NPS-rescueMEAISMOB1ManOverBoard+Device&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_32a7fd0d23-1a067c0ecb-79473517
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this one at the 2018 Seattle Boat Show. Wish I could remember the booth, maybe with Weems and Plath at Captains, or at MillTech along side the Vesper Marine display.

My first thoughts were as I noted earlier in this thread, but in talking to the guys I learned it is programmed to your own boats MMSI so it sends the Emergency AIS signal to your boat automatically. If you are able to do a manual operation, you can switch it over to an all points AIS Emergency to broadcast to all AIS receivers with in the transmitting range. That may not be very far. It could be only a mile or two, or maybe up to 5 miles in optimal conditions.

Sure wish this device and the ACR PLB could be combined. That would give 3 functional calls: DSC, AIS and NOAA SAR. With that kind of a broadcast net, somebody should hear you.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:

My first thoughts were as I noted earlier in this thread, but in talking to the guys I learned it is programmed to your own boats MMSI so it sends the Emergency AIS signal to your boat automatically. If you are able to do a manual operation, you can switch it over to an all points AIS Emergency to broadcast to all AIS receivers with in the transmitting range. That may not be very far. It could be only a mile or two, or maybe up to 5 miles in optimal conditions.

Sure wish this device and the ACR PLB could be combined. That would give 3 functional calls: DSC, AIS and NOAA SAR. With that kind of a broadcast net, somebody should hear you.

Harvey
SleepyC :moon

Harvey, this is really meant for the ocean racing and long distance cruising crowd--but certainly could be used for any boat which is crewed, and has the full capability of AIS. (Which is now required in some ocean races).

I would raise the question if a crew member falls overboard halfway to Hawaii, and is recovered promptly, it is proper to have set off a EPRIP? This means that some long range SAR is launched, including the merchant vessel AMVAR (Automated Mutual Vessel Assistance Rescue), which will divert the nearest merchant vessels to the scene. I suppose that if all vessels were to carry satellite radio, or even the Garmin Inreach satellite tracker with message, the authorities could be notified. Of course the "folks at home" would have been notified--and most likely not contacted by the boat or CG--so lots of anxiety there... These factors might even be an issue in approval--I suspect that the combination has been approved.

I am not saying that under some circumstances it might not be a good idea. Because it could be. We carry the PLB on our persons, when at risk...but would not set those off in a simple MOB situation.

Also, once you add the second antenna, (PLB already is on two frequencies) and circuits, it is going to be a larger and more expensive device. The AIS device is $300, and made to go off when the life jacket inflates. (May be water activated--didn't check that). It is a great safety device, and if I was ocean racing again, I would certainly have one for each crew member. I then have the option of activating the EPRIB if the crew member cannot be found rapidly, or if there is some severe injury. In the Hawaii example--There are few assets if any which can arrive on scene, give medical treatment and transport. Out of range of helicopters, Even if we had amphibians like a PBY, they may not be able to land, and most ships do not have any major medical facilities on board--and some of the transpac racers are going to be faster than most ships.
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I am not saying that under some circumstances it might not be a good idea. Because it could be. We carry the PLB on our persons, when at risk...but would not set those off in a simple MOB situation."

Bob, I totally agree, and yes setting off all three alarms will start a pretty big reaction BUT, the operative word in your answer is "we". Where those of us who single hand do not have someone on board to turn the boat around and return to pick us up, It would be a matter of who can get to me while I still am conscious. The EPIRB response would most likely be forwarded to the local Coast Guard, and they would be aware of the DSC activation and would be looking at that as their response also. Hopefully the AIS would be close range and there would be some vessel within range who could respond quicker that the CG. (Local CG response to an alarm say midway across the Strait of Juan de Fuca would be in the 30 to 40 minute range. -- By then I hope to still be able to talk on the handheld VHF and provide a strait in helo approach.)

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, I saw those at the show and the one problem that I had with them ( bob correct me if I am wrong ) but it does not work past a few mile without the boat. The AIS is very short range. If the boat goes down so does your signal. Its relayed to the greater world thru your boats AIS, As all AIS signals are I believe. Not a device I would use for long cruising on the west coast. Now day tripping around the san juans?? yet I see it as a good choice for that. Keeping track of kids and the elderly on a large yacht? yep it will be great for that.
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, I don't believe it does a "repeater function through your boat's AIS." The portable system is low power and meant to reach from your MOB to your boat, so typically less than 1 mile. The low power, low transmission level - in the water- and the small antenna combine to make that transmission very limited. Might be great in Fishermans Bay on the 4th of July, but not quite so good half way across Strait of Juan from Sequim to Bellingham in mid December.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beacon sends two distress frequencies--one is the VHF channel 70 DSC 0.5 watt. The other is a signal on the AIS frequency of 161.975/162.025MHz.1 watt

It should trigger any boat's DSC which is with in range. (a few miles at the most). Once the DSC is set off, then the DSC signal is relayed to the CG land station. But it may depend on other boats to relay, if your boat is out of range of CG station (Although the Digital signal will have about a 25% greater range than the voice analogue signal), Both the boat and beacon have to have the MMSI number programed in.

The manual states:

Quote:
A Man Over Board AIS transmitter is only intended for short range signalling to an AIS receiver installed onboard your own vessel. It will not directly alert the emergency services or any other vessels.

Quote:
As far as transmitting the distress further:

Actions on Receipt of a Distress Alert

Ships receiving a DSC distress alert from another ship should normally not acknowledge the alert by DSC since acknowledgment of a DSC distress alert by use of DSC is normally made by coast stations only.

Only if no other station seems to have received the DSC distress alert, and the transmission of the DSC distress alert continues, the ship should acknowledge the DSC distress alert by use of DSC to terminate the call. The ship should then, in addition, inform a coast station or a coast earth station by any practicable means.

Quote:
A coast station which receives a DSC distress alert will immediately send an acknowledgment. The sending device will then both stop repeating the alert, and tune to the designated channel for the distress message to be sent. Ships receiving a distress alert who are outside coast station range or do not receive an acknowledgment, are required to relay the distress alert by any means to land.[9]

Note the above is voluntary--and requires the operator to respond and transmit the distress--such as "Mayday, Mayday Mayday, I have received a distress signal at XXX latitude, XXX longitude.,...this is vessel "Thataway", requesting relay of a this distress call to the Coast Guard."

Harvey, in your case, your boat is going to blithely continue on its way. It may beyond range by the time your beacon transmits. The chance of another boat being close enough I believe would be small. You are far better to just have the EPIRB..and not try and rely on the AIS/DSC transmitter.

Lets say that the other person is below (and there is no Auto tether--which is a good product that Harvey should have aboard, to automatically shut down his engine). They should be awoken by the DSC alarm! (Getting back to our friend whose husband fell overboard while she was sleeping--and only happened to hear a thump or something which alerted to that the husband was no longer aboard in the middle of the ocean.)
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, Thanks for thew "Good News" My boat goes Blythely away Embarassed Laughing ... and be out of range. Embarassed Disgust

Quote:
Harvey, in your case, your boat is going to blithely continue on its way. It may beyond range by the time your beacon transmits. The chance of another boat being close enough I believe would be small. You are far better to just have the EPIRB..and not try and rely on the AIS/DSC transmitter.

So, I guess I should just stay in the boat. (I try to make a practice of that in all cases (tied to a dock is the exception.)

I have looked at another device that is an electronic tether which does kill the OBs in 3 seconds after the personal monitor gets dunked. At the time it was a decision of either the PLB or the E-MOB monitor. The ACR ResQplus PLB won out. I have not gone back to look at the other device for a couple of years. It may still be the next best option, now that I have the PLB. I do remember there was some issue in hooking it up on the C-Dory, but I don't remember what it was specifically (twins, or space for the receiver control or something else -->CR?).

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: