HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Diesel Duck

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Diesel Duck Reply with quote

Dr. Bob gave us a list of boats made in China(recent thread on drain plugs) along with some discussion on things made in China. For some reason when I read it I wondered where the Diesel Duck was. Now I realize that it is not considered a luxury yacht as his list pertained to, perhaps it was because I had just been reading how the Builder of the Diesel Duck in China refused to use glass with the CE approval sticker because he claimed the Chinese SOLAS approved glass was superior.

I'm not saying there isn't a lot of crap coming out of China, the dollar stores are full of it. But there is some good stuff as well.

Not quite in the same class as the Cdory but it is a very interesting unique boat. Designed by George Buehler who lives and works in seclusion on Widbey Island. The unique part of this boat is that you buy the plans and you can build it or have it built wherever you want. Many have been built in China but they have been built in different countries all over the world. They have also been built with wood, aluminum and steel plate. Their size can also be varied to suit your needs. Some have a mast added. Some have increased fuel capacity to 1700gal for close to a 7,000nm range. Designed after the North Pacific salmon troller it is a very sea worthy boat. They have explored the Arctic and 1 is reported to have come through a storm that sank a 103' Tug.

I love the look and simplistic nature of this very capable cruiser. If you are not familiar with them, some day when the forums here are slow and you are bored - google them - interesting reading. Feel free to share your thoughts on them here.

Regards, Rob

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
I did consider mentioning the Diesel Duck, but for several of the reasons you mentioned I left it out. I left a whole large number of other boats which were built there (some of which I have owned, or which very close friends have owned for somewhat similar reasons. I have been involved with several DD owners, and delivery skippers for these vessels built in China and delivery taken over there. Like any boat, you have to know what is quality and what is not. It is not an easy process if you take delivery there, and it is not always an easy process getting materials into China for that boat's delivery. At one time it was even worse in Taiwan (not sure about situation currently, but suspect it is about the same.)

Yes, the DD is a very simple and seaworthy boat. There are some things I like in them, and some I don't. What I always suggest to people is to look at a 5 or 10 year old Nordhavn, and a 5 to 10 year old Selene..make your own judgement. I had an opportunity to by for a real bargain a 5 year old DD which had been sitting in a foreign port. A friend was going over to this port and took pictures of that DD which had been sitting, checking out the boat. I decided against buying the boat. There are half a dozen other "yachts" I could have mentioned--and some I should have. It was a just for example...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, thanks for the reply. Agree the Nordhavn is the better 'build' - capable of extensive passages. Built to handle most any situation it would encounter on a ocean crossing. Of course some of these attributes make them less desirable to inland and coastal cruisers. Some DD's have been equipped with stabilizers for ocean use but the majority of owners find the sail controls roll in a beam sea enough for their comfort. Then there is the minor detail of cost, probable about 4X the cost of a similar sized DD. I imagine the DD would be lighter(an aluminum one anyway) and with its narrow beam would be more fuel efficient than the Nordhavn.

Not that I will ever own either one, but both are interesting boats that I love to read about.

Regards, Rob

Good point as well about how well a boat(or anything) stands up after 5 or 10 years of use. Brand and resale value is a big consideration.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: