The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Startron

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Startron Reply with quote

The yamaha150 that is on my boat,has been getting the blue stabil added to gas . Wondering if anyone has ever switched to startron,reason im asking is I have 2 big bottles of startron . When I run out of blue stabil was considering using the startron,but if switching is bad,will just buy more blue stabil thanks.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you'll have an issue. It's a fuel stabilizer recommended for all engine types. I would not give it a second thought. Plus, since you have it, might as well use it. I bet you don't even notice a difference.

I've used red Stabil, blue Stabil and now the honey-colored Stabil 360* in all my small engines (lawn mower, power washer etc) and in my classic VWs. In the small engines I run it through then cut off the fuel and let them run until the carbs empty of gas and the engine dies. On the VWs, I just idle them monthly since there is always gas in the bowls. Never a problem. I also try to use only 100% dyno gas in them, which is not always realistic, especially in the VWs.

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Startron is greater than 95% Naphta and less then 0.5% secret stuff. The secret stuff must be very very expensive or super powerful.

Big box and hardware sell naptha (vintage cigarette lighters like Zippo uses it) in one gallon containers and a better value

Personally the fuel additives (esp Startron Enzyme) hype insults me.. just saying
... not a lot third party testing to validate their wild claims

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been a skeptic like Brent. There is supposed to be these enzymes--the question is what do enzymes do in Naptha? I looked up all of the articles before it was popularized.

This is sort of a wild story, but here goes. In the 1979 transpac, I was on a 55 foot custom built ULBD, and we thought we had about 50 gallons of fuel on board for the generator during the race, and of course were going to fill the fuel tanks up for the run back home. We ran out of diesel, and just had enough to prime the main engine to get in thru the reef to the dock. When we filled the boat for the trip back it took about 30 gallons less than we thought it should. Fast forward to 1996, and the boat is on its second circumnavigation, and the engine is replaced in Spain. When the engine was pulled, a 30 gallon diesel tank, which the owner had forgotten about was discovered (the missing 30 gallons). [the boat had a box keel, which contained the ballast, water, fuel and holding tanks] Problem was the diesel had gelled, and was so thick that the yard could not pump it out. Not to worry, they put "Soltron" (same as Startron) in the tank--I don't know how much, but I was told it was only a few ounces--but by the time the boat had crossed the Atlantic that fuel was liquid, and was easily pumped out. Would a few oz of Naptha do that? Or was it the secret enzymes?
Quote:
It works primarily by breaking down the cell wall, and the masses of gummy material the bacteria create which clumps them together. This doesn't test as a powerful biocide, as it doesn't immediately kill the cells. However, it does break down the clumps, and weakens the cell walls so they disrupt with any mechanical force. This allows the clumps and gumminess to become small enough to pass through the filters and burn off in the engines.

Quote:

Soltron Fuel Treatment Enzyme (125ml Bottle)
Soltron® contains enzymes which break up contaminants that prevent clean efficient combustion. The hydrocarbon elements found in diesel sludge are converted back into the fuel and burnt during combustion. The increase in combustion efficiency results in emissions reductions and reduced odours.

Continued use of Soltron® will ensure that you are protected against contamination from microbial and bacterial growth "bugs". These "bugs" reproduce in your fuel tank contaminating your fuel which in turn blocks your filters causing engine failure. Soltron® breaks up the "bugs" so that they pass through the fuel filters and are removed during combustion.

All this is achieved without any expenditure on engine modifications or using corrosive chemical biocides. For more information and benefits of Soltron, please see the attached file.

In this fuel crisis, saving fuel is of critical importance to businesses operating vehicles and equipment. Soltron® will save them approximately 7% in vehicles and rather more in steady running engines such as ships and generators. The modest cost of Soltron® is repaid many times over with fuel savings AND the other benefits. A 7% saving at a pump price of £1.30 per litre is over 9 pence. A 125ml bottle of Soltron® treats 625L of road fuel. That is a potential saving of £56.88!

Quote:
Enzymes are natural catalysts that exist in nature to assist in, amongst other things, the breakdown of foodstuffs, resulting in the release of the energy required to sustain life.

Soltron® is a natural microbiological fuel technology - a mix of organic enzymes, derived from naturally occurring marine algae found in our oceans.

It has scientifically proven capacity to revolutionise fossil fuel oil industries including road transport, oil refining, rail, shipping, home heating and energy sectors. Any process that burns fossil fuel oils can benefit from the application of Soltron®

Here is their "proof"--from Queens University
http://www.soltron.ie/index.php/environment/research/

I have used it mostly in diesel tanks, and cannot really say I noticed any real change. But I put some in my tanks after the issues with the stuck floats, and the engine is running better than ever now! Must be the Startron/Saltron! Wink

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for informed responses. Figured since I have 2 large bottles ,I would ask you guys.
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use storage level blue Stabil in everything including my boat, generator and power equipment. I don't even bother to drain the gas over the winter. I've had zero issues with fuel. Here is a specific example. Our boat was put away for the winter in October. We did not take the boat out until May -- 7 and 1/2 months later. We started our carbureted 9.8 HP Tohatsu up with old fuel remaining inside the hose, and experienced no issues. I didn't need to drain the fuel inside the hose. The same was true for my power equipment. I've been using Stabil (originally the red Stabil) for 25 years, and have never had a fuel issue.

Rich

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, my Yamaha mechanic has recommended (strongly) that for anything that is going to be left for more than a month, to use the Blue - Marine - Stabil, and to also use the Startron. I have used both for 7 years now, with the longest inactive period being 6 months, and have not had a single start-up issue. Pump the bulbs til firm, and turn the key and the fire is there. I like that result, so I keep doing it. Would it work just the same with one or the other? Maybe. Probably. Usually, Might do ????? Who knows? I did the carb job once, and that was enough. I can buy a lot of Startron for that little gig.

YMMV.Harvey
SleepyC Moon

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journey On will sit for about 6-7 mos between runs, and since I buy gas at the local station, it's got 10% alcohol. I usually don't use a gas stabilizing treatment. I'm always impressed as to how quickly the Honda starts after it's been sitting.

Here's a Boat-US Ethanol Gas Myths report , which essentially says that 10% ethanol is the same a non ethanol gas as far as it's effect on an outboard. Here's a quote from Mercury Marine: "After the transition period from E0, E10 may actually be a superior marine fuel as it tends to keep low levels of water moving through the fuel system, keeping the system 'dry.'"

That said, I do use STP gas treatment once a year to remove water from the gas tank, etc. Seems to work, since I never drain water from the water bowl. And to clean out the injectors every other year I use Techron. No sign as if it worked or not, but that Honda 150 runs great.

I have had the choke tube on the Honda 9.9 crud up to the point where it wouldn't start. White residue and you had to use a wire to get it out.

We live in a dry area so there's not much humidity though it gets hot. Just my experience.

Boris
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just re-filled all our 5 gallon cans w/ red Stabil and 100% dyno gas from the farm co-op today. $3.69/gallon for 87. It usually gets us thru the summer and then fall/winter for the genset. Come spring, I put any left over in my black VW w/ the very expensive European (Italian Webbers) carbs. So far...so good. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: