Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin ware

City/Region: Mount Vernon
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: El Gato Thomas
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Paint peeling on Honda outboards Reply with quote

Over the past year, the silver paint on the lower cowlings on my 2006 Honda 150 outboards has begun peeling off. It seems this is a known problem with Honda outboards, and the only solution is to repaint the involved portion of the engine.

Has anyone in the group had this problem with their Honda engine. If so, how did you fix it?

Does anyone know of a professional paint shop that does this kind of thing in the Seattle area?

Thanks,

Kevin Ware
Tom Cat 25.5
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have repainted the lower unit several times on Hondas. I also have a bubble on the top of the cowl of my 90 currently--I might have gotten some carb cleaner on it--the paint seems to be sticking OK right now

Moeller and Honda both make "Oyster Silver" spray paint in cans, and this is what the mechanics use.

Google Honda Outboard paint--and you will find all you need. There is the primer, strontium or zinc chromate, the sliver and clear coat.

No one will tell that it has been resprayed. Clean, sand with wet and dry, and then spray.

OR your can do as many on the Redneck Riviera do--paint it with cameo paint!

You can get new graphic decals from "Outboard Decals.com"

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Paint shop Reply with quote

PM sent
RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've definitely had this problem with our 2006 BF150. The paint has peeled off from most of the lower unit, but so far the cowling is doing ok. I've spoken with a couple of different Honda technicians and they have both told me if I want to leave the surface bare I can safely do so - the surface paint is simply there for cosmetic reasons. As a result, I have left the lower unit unpainted and so far so good. Frankly, the gray plastic color is fairly similar to the paint so it's not all that noticeable. I don't know if I am truly doing the smart thing, but I have not seen any deterioration.

Rob
designbug

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
Vessel Name: Bella II
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the same problem with my 150. I originally tried to touch it up but decided it doesn't look that bad. As long as the engine continues to run well - I'm a happy camper!
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bringing this thread back to the top to see if there is any more/recent input on the subject.

We also have a 2006 Honda 150 and the paint on the mid-cowl (below the engine cover & above the lower unit) is peeling.

The mid-cowl appears to be plastic. Peeling is in one rather large location (two hand might over the paint free area).

So my choices are to (1) carefully prepare and spray the paint free area, or (2) remove the remaining (unpeeled) area then prepare/repaint the whole mid-cowling.

Thoughts ... Suggestions ... Other Ideas (cover it with silver duct tape?) Smile

Best,
Casey&Mary

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to repaint a damaged area on my Honda 90 cowl, using Honda paint and clear coat. After a year in the sun, the painted area turned yellow. The original damage was my fault, but I am not pleased with the quality of their touch up paint.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey wrote:
I'm bringing this thread back to the top to see if there is any more/recent input on the subject.

We also have a 2006 Honda 150 and the paint on the mid-cowl (below the engine cover & above the lower unit) is peeling.

The mid-cowl appears to be plastic. Peeling is in one rather large location (two hand might over the paint free area).

So my choices are to (1) carefully prepare and spray the paint free area, or (2) remove the remaining (unpeeled) area then prepare/repaint the whole mid-cowling.

Thoughts ... Suggestions ... Other Ideas (cover it with silver duct tape?) Smile

Best,
Casey&Mary

Take the affected pieces to your favorite Auto Body Shop.
They deal with Painting Plastic parts every day.
Wink Have a good one
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Honda, but my Yamaha cowlings are showing sunspots. Like a rash, of lite colored spots on the tops of the cowlings, more-so on the port than starbd side OB's.

Sham on me, I should have kept covers on them, or waxed more often. My bad and regrets, but, maybe it just adds, character Shocked

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Minnow

City/Region: East Amwell
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Minnow
Photos: Minnow
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That middle plastic has some very peculiar properties. It doesn't sand smooth, and it repels paint.
My first attempt at repair was to use the expensive Honda touch up paint. That lasted a season.

Second try was stripping, adhesion promoter designed for plastics, aftermarket automotive paint, and clearcoat . The color was a bit off. It lasted 2 seasons before it flaked off.

Third try was Krylon Fusion rattle-can paint for plastics, no primer. Went for contrasting color (burgundy, close enough to cabernet) to match the boat accent, and a stripe on the top cowl. Left the lower unit silver.

Spray a coat on, let dry, wet sand. Repeat until you are happy. That was the only way I could knock down the fuzz left by sanding the bare plastic.

It has lasted 3 seasons so far, still has some shine, and is still stuck to that funky plastic.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsturm wrote:
Casey wrote:

Best,
Casey&Mary

H

Take the affected pieces to your favorite Auto Body Shop.
They deal with Painting Plastic parts every day.
Wink Have a good one

I tried the do it myself approach, which like others shared had poor results. I should have done as tsturm suggested at first. The auto body shop I finally tried did good work that has lasted several years now.

Jay

RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've continued to leave ours bare of paint after it peeled off almost 4 years ago and still so far so good with no deterioration. I get the engine serviced annually by a HONDA tech and he is not troubled by it, nor does he recommend painting it other than for the cosmetic reason. While it looks a bit different from the glossy covering, it still isn't that noticeable, especially when in the water.

Rob
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the area is bare fiberglass, they it should be painted to protect. For the plastic as Minnow, I have had good results with Krylon for plastic. Over Aluminum, the aluminum needs to be sanded well, primer with strontium chromate and then multiple top coats.

I have also had issues with the paint on Suzuki outboards...so it is just not Honda.

On the other hand, it is "in" to paint outboards white, green, yellow or what ever color you want these days!
Rain

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Glory
Photos: C-Glory
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Chevy automobiles and Honda outboards - something in common Reply with quote

Funny how Chevy automobiles and Honda outboards have poor paint jobs in common.

On a related subject: The manuals for my Suzuki outboards recommend waxing after every outing. That seems excessive. I have been just rinsing off the salt and drying. I have only waxed once so far. Any opinions on waxing frequency?

jimicliff

City/Region: Mount Dora
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ocklawaha Queen
Photos: Ocklawaha Queen
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well might as well chime in, I'm on my second Honda outboard now. Its my obsveration that sun light is the culprit for spoiling the paint. On my second Honda I have kept the fabric engine cover on when not in use and my paint is holding up pretty good. I'm using compound and wax from time to time and that keeps the water spots off. I repainted my first engine like some others with all the Hona paints and clear coat but it didn't hold up for much more than a year and I was very careful on application. So again I recomend the engine cover.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: