SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill mentioned the portabote - has anyone used a portabote on a cd22?
If so how did it work?

It looks like it might be doable. Very little windage when folded and put on top. Also good performance with a small motor. They even make a sail rig for extra $$. The only real concern I have is the weight and can I fold/unfold the thing on the bow.

Thanks,
Steve
tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my previous post on the Portaboat.

I looked at B~C's kayak rack before I built mine. Since I had a radar arch and the kayaks ranged up to 17 feet in length, I elected to incorporate a mount into the radar arch and existing hand rails on the roof. The kayaks are light (about 50 lbs each) so weight wasn't an issue, so centering them on the roof works pretty well, especially loading them over the stern to the roof. The rack is also useful for other loads such as the portaboat.

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
Guess I read right by your portaboat post. It sounds like the problem was that there was not enough room to fold/unfold the boat. How do you like the boat otherwise?

I think the shipping from AK would expensive but what do you want for yours?

Do you have any pics of your boat and rack?

Steve
tpbrady

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

I never really put it in the water but it would seem to work pretty well for two people. It's fairly wide so should be stable. You were right on the space issue. I could put it together in the cockpit, but there had better not be anything else in there with you. It pretty much took the whole area. Launching it was fairly simple, slide it over the side, but put something over the gel coat to protect the finish.

Disassembly was the real show stopper. You have to haul the whole boat into the cockpit. I was hoping to disassemble some of it in the water (the seats and transom, but that wasn't going to work. After that, I came to the conclusion there was an easier way.

I don't have a photo album set up, but PM me your e-mail address and I will send you some pictures. Basically I took two antenna rail mount adapters, welded railing T's on them, ran a piece of 1 inch stainless railing through them for the front. It clears the roof by about 1.5 inches. On the rear, I took a similar piece of 1 inch stainless and using u-bolts attached it to the vertical on the rear of the radar arch. After some more experimenting, I will eventually weld the cross piece to the arch or spot weld the u-bolts. This rear railing makes a good place to hang a tarp to cover the back deck until I get a camper back that will work with kayaks on the rack.
Dene

City/Region: Kalama
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Fear Naut & Terra-Sea-Ta
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El and Bill wrote:
Inflatable (or portabote) is the only way to go, in our opinion. Sure don't want to be towing a hard shell in heavy sea or cross wind or current, with a 22' boat. And lifting such a critter to the cabin roof would do in my back. Good advice on this thread -- try it before spending the time to build (or the money to buy) a hard shell.

Has anybody used the instaboat canoe?

http://www.instaboat.com/folding-boat.asp

I have two inflatable kayaks, one single, one tandem, and they are ok for use on my 22 footer. The downsides are set up, puncture possibilities, so-so tracking, and floor space.

This instaboat canoe looks like it could be fitted on top of my alaskan bulkhead or perhaps on front, latched to a couple of stanchions. Also, it can be fitted with a 2 hp engine.

-Greg
Marooned

City/Region: Buchanan
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Marooned
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my search for a dingy I came across the Kaboat, three models a 10ft. rated for 300lbs. a 12ft rated at 500lbs. and a 14ft for three passengers. The 10ft model would be perfect for my situation, except it is rated for only one passenger, that sucks.

http://www.kaboat.net/inflatable_kayaks_SK396.asp

I suppose the 12ft would fit on top of a 22 cruiser, but would it ride there without getting tossed about and blown by the wind?

Does anyone have experience with 12 ft. inflatable kayaks on a 22 Cruiser? Would appreciate input.
tpbrady

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have something a little bigger than an inflatable kayak called a Power Drifter. It's about 11 feet long but I can tie it to the roof rails and it even runs down the highway well if the bow is tied to the forward clete. It should be no problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: