View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Dinghies Reply with quote

I am thinking of building a hard shell dinghy to put on the cabin roof of my 22 cruiser (with tall radar arch). Does anyone have a recommendation?
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wandering, welcome to the site. I don't carry a dinghy on my 22 but have towed them with previous sailboats.

There's lots of info here about inflatibles, can't remember a hard shell discussion.

Happened to buy some magazines recently (cheaper than electronics by a long shot) and in a mag called "BoatWorks" the Fall 2005 issue, there was a continuation of a Summer 2005 issue article on a little hard dinghy. This segment was about finishing it so the Summer one was probably about building it. The magazine is put out by those that do "Sail" magazine which I frequent.

The website is www.boatworksmagazine.com and you should be able to look at some of it on line. I'm sure they want you to buy the back issue, but it may be worth it. Did some research before I sent this and it appears to be an Eastport Pram which can be bought in kit form for $640 in the rowing model at http://www.clcboats.com/boats/eastportpram.php

Should be easy to get up and down.

Keep us posted on your search, most of us don't have room for a hard shell but you can never tell.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are building your own I would look into "Stitch and Glue" boats like those found on Bateau (http://www.bateau.com/products.php?cat=9) or GlenL (http://www.glenl.com/). This type of boat is often very light and strong so it would be ideal for putting on top of the cabin. The thing I like about Bateau is that they have a very active support forum.

I was seriously looking into building a boat before getting the C-Dory but decided I probably would never finish it.

Patrout

City/Region: NORTH POLE
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: C-FARER
Photos: C-FARER
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wandering,

You might be interested in the "Elegant Punt." It's a funky pram that could just fit into your needs. http://www.smallboats.com/bolger.htm

Does that produce stand near Canby still sell those chocolate-covered sweet corn kernals?

Pat
gunnar52068

State or Province: IA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Gary's suggestion about "stitch and glue" construction. About 20 years ago I built a 17' strip canoe. I've used it on the Snake River, Lake Coeur d' Alene and the Boundary Waters in Minnesota. Very strong, light weight and attractive. Also, simple to build. It was my first experience using resin and glass and I've always wanted to do another project to see if I couldn't improve upon some of my cosmetic-type mistakes.

Get some pram plans, resin and glass cloth and go to it! My dentist and I have been talking about doing this very same project for his sailboat.

Gunnar
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of those hard shell (wooden) boats weigh 60 lbs or more! Many here complain of struggling to get much lighter inflatables on top. Remember you have to lean out and lift it up from the bow or the cockpit, lift it overhead and flip it over while working in fairly limited space (and sometimes while the boat is rocking from waves). Hence, I think that if you do a hard shell you will be towing it and not putting it on the cabin roof unless you are
a) VERY strong (and agile) or
b) planning to build some ingenious system to help lift it.

This might be more manageable if you build a nesting pram - e.g. a boat that is really two small boats that hook together to make one. The Bateu link provided by Gary shows one of these. In any case, I'd try to find one of similar design to what you want to make and try to load it on top from the water to see how difficult it is PRIOR to building one. Otherwise you might wind up putting $ and effort into something that won't really work for you in practice.

Roger on the SeaDNA

Chivita

City/Region: Hansville
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Chivita
Photos: Chivita
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wandering,

IMHO, after hoisting our 45# inflatable onto the roof, I agree with Roger's post. Try it before you get too far into the project, add some cross wind, a wet deck, and some tired arms after rowing back and forth to the beach in that rain and wind. Also calculate the angle of that dingy to get it up and the fact that you may get water in the dingy as you tilt it up to lift it. ALSO, remember that a hard dingy is much more likely to scratch that beautiful gell coat on the way up, especially if the hull has some sand and pebbles still hanging on.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with the recent posts. Hard dinghys are nice but tough to lift up on a cabin top. Something I saw saturday, and only slightly off subject was a sit-upon kayak made by Hobi, that was propelled by pedals. And they didn't turn a whee with paddles. Something entirely different and high-tech. In a factory test they had the one-man model doing a tug of war with a two-man rowed kayak and the one-man won. That thing would really scoot, it was made for ocean work, like diving and such, and it steered with your hand. Plus your hands were free, except when making minor adjustments in course. And it was under 60 lbs. and 12 feet long. It had a lot of storage also. They make a larger, and a smaller model. Take a look on the Hobi website and check them out.
shikari

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strongly suggest you investigate an 8ft portabote.
This boat folds flat as a surfboard and is very light weight and strong.
I have a 10 foot model that sits on top of my truck camper at all times and no one knows it is even there until I pull down this amazing piece of Kevlar oregami and in a couple of minutes of unfolding and seat installing I am away fishing!
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inflatable (or portabote) is the only way to go, in our opinion. Sure don't want to be towing a hard shell in heavy sea or cross wind or current, with a 22' boat. And lifting such a critter to the cabin roof would do in my back. Good advice on this thread -- try it before spending the time to build (or the money to buy) a hard shell.
dogon dory

Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

west marine has a 2 man inflatable kayak on sale for $250 down from 399. I just ordered one and It will be here before we go to b.c. it is made by sevylor and seems to be a really good boat. I have sat in one at the store but not in the water. I will let you know how it works out.
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have used Sevylor two-person kayaks for years, mostly running white water rivers. They are great. We look at them sorta like Timex watches -- don't compare them with a Rolex, but for the money, you get a great little inflatable that does the trick if you don't ask too much of it, and when it starts to leak, and the patch no longer works, you get another. Ours have three bladders (and two inflatable seats), so a leak in one of the main bladders will still get you home -- and it has. They are very light and easy to use (although you might want to upgrade the paddle, for serious kayaking). Downside is that they skitter in the wind and ours certainly aren't spray-proof.
tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried an 8' portabote and couldn't figure a good way to put it together, launch it, retrieve it and fold it back up in the cockpit. I settled on an inflatable canoe (I stole it from West Marine for $189 since it was the last of the breed), and think it was a good choice. It can carry three people, paddles well, and when packed fits in the v-berth or when inflated fits on the roof or across the rear deck. Since I also carry a couple of single touring kayaks on a roof rack, I am typically traveling with a flotilla. The canoe is great for short trips to shore. The kayaks are good for longer paddling trips. The canoe is easy to enter from the cockpit. I was worried about climbing into a kayak, but after a couple of times, it was surprisingly easy.

By the way the portabote is for sale.

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
k3nlind

City/Region: Layton
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Topkick
Photos: Topkick
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at Blue-C's yak rack here:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Blue~C&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=3

E.C.H.O.

bcnu,

ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: