The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Catastrophic failure of Honda BF150
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear of your engine problems Tosca. That's a lot of $$ to repair and I don't wish that on anybody.

Regarding the Suzuki corrosion issues, the problem I'm most familiar with has been well documented. The issue I'm referring to is the engine holder plug-dissimilar metal problem for 90-140Hp motors from 1999-2008. Luckily our DF90 escaped this corrosion issue, most likely due to being stored inside at Twin Bridges. I was able to change out the plug successfully with no signs of corosive damage. The motors have since been redesigned to do away with those plugs.

There have been well documented corrosion issues with Yamaha's as well so I'm not sure there's any outboard manufacturer that hasn't had one issue or another. All of the modern outboard motors are pretty reliable now. As others have said, it's the luck of the draw or in your case just bad luck. I hope you fine an acceptable and affordable resolution.

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...looking at other forums on Honda thrust bearing failures Honda seems to have picked up the tab, or at least some of it, for failed thrust bearings. You can call Honda service and discuss the problem and see what they'd do.

My father always said "What's the worst they can say? No?" No harm in inquiring and following up on this. Some time invested but even if they pay part of the repair. I'd speak to them and follow up w/ it in writing.

This really, really sucks. I feel for you as I've had catastrophic engine issues on air cooled VWs I've had. One "dropped a valve" which destroyed the entire half of one of my engines, leaving me stuck on the freeway and about $2,500.00 poorer.

Most bearing failures are due to lack of lubrication, hence I never "rev" engines that are newly started/cold. You are correct in the engine is merely an Accord engine, on end. The once horizontal loads now become vertical and without a clutch, the thrust bearing replaces the throw out bearing. Still would like to know what Honda engineers realized & when and if it was a design/engineering error/flaw or a random issue as you've said. Confused

Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to a 150 Suzuki in Everett at Performance Marine. I think it's new.

http://www.perform-marine.com/suzukioutboards.htm

A Yamaha 150 in Port Angles

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bod/5069213512.html

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's my current plan.........

After doing significant research and talking to boat-knowledgable friends, I've decided to repower in spite of the expense ($25,000 all inclusive cost, even sales tax -- I have negotiated a $17,000 price for the new engine alone). Frankly, I just want what I want Wink, and I want a new engine......my engine.....the one I will know from its 1st day to its last.

Next was: which engine. I looked at Honda, Mercs, and Yamaha, and have decided to go with the Yamaha F200XCA. There were many reasons for this choice. There were many positives for the other choices too, but the F200XCA seemed to fit my needs/wants the best. In particular, if I'm going to repower, I wanted 200HP, but with no extra weigh on the stern: the F200XCA is perfect for that since it only weighs an additional 4 pounds over my previous Honda BF150. Next, I've become intrigued by digital controls. The F200XCA is one of the few (only?) 200HP that offers this option. Last, I like the fact that Yamaha has the most extensive service network in Canada and Alaska. Living only 30 miles from the British Columbia inland waterways, I plan to spend significant time in BC (Gulf Islands, Broughtons, etc).

Any comments on the engine, the controls, the plan, the cost.....anything, please.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thumbs up

3 or 4 blade prop.
?

smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3 or 4 blade prop

Don't know yet. I will definitely need a new prop with more pitch given the increased HP. That will obsolete my current stainless steel props of S3x15.5x15R and S3x14.5x15R.....I guess I'll sell those.

BTW, the prices I'm talking about include a new SS prop. I've made arrangements to be able to test and exchange new props until I get it right at no charge (as long as I don't ding them of course).
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nice thing is that you will probably never need that Yamaha service network. Congratulations on your choice. There was not a bad one in the lot. It will be interesting to see the performance numbers, with the Yama 200!

Why digital controls? I can see if in a 2 or 3 station boat, or if you had a long and complicated cable run.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great plan. Those Yamahas are real work horses and darn dependable, like all these days. I guess now you have to decide if you want to match with a 9.9 high thrust Yammi kicker! Very Happy Wonderful, quiet motor.
smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why digital controls?

No practical reason. I've not actually driven a boat with them (yet), but I've talked to several folks who have had them installed. What appealed to me most was the consistent smoothness of the reaction of the engine to the movement of the throttle handle......in a word or two.....no play. I also expect that the control will be exactly the same over the years....no stickiness, no binding, no lack of response as one starts to depress the throttle then suddenly it "catches". I also think it is the way of the future. Digital is everywhere in today's world, so why not in outboard controls. Then again maybe it was just the WOW factor!

This engine also has a design that mostly eliminates the "thunk" when one shifts into gear. That thunk has always bothered me. Wink Laughing
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong but I believe that many modern engines are in fact "Digitally controlled" as the cable from the throttle lever simply moves a position transducer on the engine which issues signals to the ECU.

Moving that transducer up to the throttle lever replaces the cable with an electrical connection.

Well proven technology and can make for much neater helm space.

Just my 2c worth.

M

BrentB

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do the same

Single LED display or 3 separates one ?

Does OB have a aux power cable?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why digital controls?

Thanks!
All good and valid reasons. Not sure I am ready for wireless digital (and my car may well have that) -but I am stuck back in 1990's technology with the carbureted Honda 90. I would love to upgrade, but cannot see selling an engine with only 265 hours.
smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grumpy, you summarize pretty much exactly how I feel about it.

BrentB, I'm not sure what you mean by: "Single LED display or 3 separates one?" Are you talking about the gauges? If so, Yami has a single rectangular guage with all info on it; but I am leaning toward more traditional round gauges. In particular, I don't think I'd like a digital display for the tach; I want a needle and a classic "clock" face. I already have a NavMan and speedo (displayed on the chartplotter), so I don't see a need to add those Yami gauges. However, I am meeting with the mechanic on Tuesday to work out those details. My helm station is already pretty crowded, so my options are limited. One thing I will change is moving the trim tab display higher. I am taller than the previous owner, and I have to drop my head a couple of feet to see that display as I fiddle with the tabs.
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should be a sweet set-up. Have you considered having it done in Oregon to avoid the sales tax?

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
BrentB

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I meant the single digital LED or LCD display
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: