journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got home from attending my oldest grandchild graduate from high school. And started to think of how blessed I've been to see her (and the rest) grow up. Or at least one get through HS and go on to college

I also turn 80, in September. And there's 2 sides to that coin. I have seen my kids grow up and have families of their own and that's wonderful. I thank God for that and the DNA my parents gave me and my brother (he'll be 82.) My dad never saw me graduate from high school and my mom never saw all her grandchildren. And I've got Judy who's keeping me going. So, I've gone beyond any expectations I ever had.

And of course, there's the other side, I am (almost) 80. This isn't going to last forever. Good health, able to go out on the boat, started riding a bicycle. So how long does this last? Not a clue, but I get to take the boat out this summer and I'll worry about everything this fall. I figure 5 more years.

So, John, remember that you did get to 80, enjoy the trip and enjoy the rest. You're able to get around, see your family. To your and my health. I'm amazed I got here.

Boris
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject: No "Farewell's" Please Reply with quote

Sorry John and Edna but I can not accept your "farewell". As they say in the Marine Corps, "once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat", or something like that! Sounds to me from what you have said, there will be many more good times coming your way. Just stay positive, active, and get down to the waterfront as often as possible.
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I have to agree with the others here who've said you're not really allowed to leave your Brat pals. Yes, the boating part of your involvement may have ended with Farwest II's sale in Friday Harbor. But you have too much to contribute here and maybe on land at future gatherings.

You and Edna were two people I met early in my C-Brat experience. I think it was 2001 or 2002 at Blake Island on a cold and memorable rendezvous. (I could check my scrapbooks, but I'm too lazy.) And I'll never forget your stay at our house and how you educated me about binoculars and many other things. They still give me a thrill, by the way.
At any rate, I look forward to more of your shared experiences and opinions on this site, because I've always had such respect for you and your intellect. BTW, I also saw Farwest II at our recent gig and I was confused for a minute until my light went on. Hey, that's John and Edna's boat, isn't it? Fortunately the new owner was on site and we talked at length about his new boat and the upgrades you devised. Farwest II is in good hands, and I'm gratified to know it's former owner is still an active participant!
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our. Dry best wishes to you. We shared some fine experiences. El and Bill
Montana Kev

City/Region: Bozeman/Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Grace
Photos: Grace
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Above photo - Yellowstone John, Far West II and his famous sailing canoe, Plover Point, Yellowstone Lake, August 2010.

I learned this week that John Dracon passed away in December. John (AKA Yellowstone John) and I had exchanged several emails over the last few years. His daughter in Great Falls, MT was caring for him. As noted at the beginning of this thread, John had a long love affair with Yellowstone National Park, lasting over 50 years. He was a volunteer ranger historian for the park at one time. He loved taking folks into the back country of Yellowstone Lake in his C-Dory 22, and also in his big canoe, with its sailing rig and out riggers. He was quoted in the book “Death in Yellowstone: Accidents and Foolhardiness in the First National Park”. He often invited total strangers aboard to join him on the lake. Here is a short story of one such encounter- https://bearcruzer.wordpress.com/2009/08/14/yellowstone-adventure-day-2. John was a very active contributor to C-Brats. The good times with John will live on in our memories forever.
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. Montana Kev, thank you for letting us know.
He was such a wonderful fellow. I met him 15 years ago, and I'm so happy to have known John, and to have spent time with him. He knew so much about so many things, had such curiosity about the way the world works, had a sense of humor and was so kind. I'm surprised and saddened by his passing. I was quite fond of John, and I extend my sympathies to his wife Edna and his family at this difficult time.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellowstone John will be missed here & especially by those of us that have shared, so many good times with him on the Lake where he was so well known. The link Kevin shared, showed just one of the many times complete strangers were met by John & then showed an extraordinary experience through his generosity. I well remember his showing up that day at Eagle Bay, when we were camped there with family, but to us, his showing up like that was routine & though always enjoyable not a surprise, just typical John.

I had the pleasure of making with John, his last run in that big Grumman Canoe. We towed it to Flat Mountain Arm behind his Farwest 11 & then sailed it up to the head of that Arm, through the no motorized zone. As knowledgeable as he was about Yellowstone Lake, he had never been to the head of that Arm & as for me, it was my first experience sailing. It was a cold day & as we were going to shore near the Arm head, he fell & went under the water & after became very cold to the point, I thought it just might become his last day back then, but a fire on the beach & the sun coming out, brought him back & it turned out to be a wonderful special day for us both.

Your missed John, but live on in the memories of so many of us that had the pleasure of your friendship.

Jay

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I never met John in person, I remember reading and hearing so much about him, and his love for "the Lake". He was a special person and a real C-Brat. I never met him, and that is my loss.

Thanks for sharing the picture of him on the beach and of his passing. My Condolences to his wife and family.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the pleasure to meet John and Edna in Yellowstone a decade ago. His love for the area, and especially the lake, came through as we visited. A very fine C-Brat. I was saddened when I read the post that started this thread... and now, even more so.

RIP Yellowstone John.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,
Thanks for the update. RIP John. We have very joyous memories of our times on the lake with John.

Bob, Marie, Angel, and our family.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had great times with them. Wonderful folks. RIP, John.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing this. I never met John except thru his album and posts. My loss. Fairwinds to John, family and friends my condolences.
George
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear this JOHN will truly be missed very much.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about John, a true friend.
I first met John and Edna when they came to a C-Brat get together I arranged at Lake Shasta in 004.
Fine, friendly, and knowledgeable folks.
He will be missed, but certainly not forgotten, among our C-Brat friends.
Fair winds and calm seas, my friend!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so sad to hear. John was a wonderful man. We spent a lot of time at a few gatherings just talking and walking and analyzing the world. From fishing Jjimandlaurie's car keys out of the water at Cathlamet to wandering around the boat show, he always found a reason to enjoy the moment.

And binoculars - that man knew his binoculars! Some of the most spectacular up close views of scenery were found through the eyepieces of his binoculars as he taught me how to properly use them.

He had a few health scares over the years and decided more than once to give up his boating, but he always got better and got back on the water. Maybe this thread he started the last time he gave up on the boats was a harbinger, I don't know, but I am sure glad he stayed with us as long as he did.

Farewell, Principal John!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: