View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yellowstone

City/Region: White Sulphur Springs
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Farwest II
Photos: Farwest III
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: saying farewell to my many C-Dory friends Reply with quote

As the vicissitudes of old age have visited me, ( I turn 80 in about a month - July Cool , I decided last fall that it was time to let the Far West II go to another boater. A gentleman living on San Juan Island bought it and trailed it back to the island. My decision was based solely upon my health (heart and diabetes) and I thought taking passengers with me on the water could put them at risk since my defibrillator smacked me last July and rendered me unconscious for several seconds.

My first Far West II was purchased in 1996, so I have been part of the C-Dory family for nineteen years. My second one, a 1999 model, was purchased in 2001. During this time I have made many friends whom I value very highly.We were first called the Sea Dogs and then later came the title, Sea Brats.

The Far West II(s) provided me and my wives (Ursla died in 1997) and later Edna with many adventures, from the Pacific Ocean to Key West Florida, Lake Powell several times, and numerous lakes and rivers throughout the United States and Canada.

Yellowstone Lake became my final destination for the past 6 summers. I had first visited the Park in 1948, and in 1953 fresh out of high school, I worked at Fishing Bridge pumping gas that summer. Because I lived near the Park, it became my family vacation spot for many trips, mostly by canoes. My late son and I circumnavigated both Yellowstone and Shoshone Lakes by paddle before I was able to afford a small outboard motor.

Over the years I camped at every canoe camp on Yellowstone Lake. Many of those campsites no longer are in use, saved mostly for the VIPs who curry favor with the park bureaucracy. At one time canoe campers could stay at Peale Island. Not anymore.

Many changes have occurred in Yellowstone Park, most of them not positive.

The 22' C-Dory is really an icon. It gave me and my family and friends much pleasure over the years. So in saying good bye to my many C-Dory friends, keep your keels wet and your skegs intact.

John and Edna Dracon

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John (and Edna),

You've certainly done the C-Dory line proud! I enjoyed reading of your adventures.

I hope you feel free to stick around here as long as you'd like to though (and go when you'd like to as well, knowing we've all benefitted).

Sunbeam

PS: I believe you gave me some really helpful advice on binoculars, too -- thank you.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: saying farewell to my many C-Dory friends Reply with quote

Yellowstone wrote:
my defibrillator smacked me last July and rendered me unconscious for several seconds.

Now your scaring me, my cardiologist just recommended that I get a defibrillator! Shocked Shocked

As we get into the golden(rusty) years we may have to say goodbye to our boats but you don't have to say goodbye to your Cbrat friends. Cool

Regards, Rob

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John and Edna, now you know you are not allowed to leave this family ever for any reason. We simply cannot allow it. It is the same as with the many schools you served - once there you are always a part.

Didn't you also achieve some fame in a small port called Cathlamet on the Columbia River a few years back?

I admire you greatly, John. I have told you that before. I understand your reasons for staying ashore and hope you remain standing upon it for many more years.

Mike
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John and Edna,

I have enjoyed your comments here for since I started looking at C-Dory's. Have enjoyed the stories, pictures and posts. Many have said this place is like the pub where you can come and go as you please. True, but for some of us it is more like the family where we just belong. Over time, our friends here, come, move through and move on, but are always remembered. You have been an inspiration here and I just want to say thanks.

It's not easy to make that decision. but it takes fortitude, true, and we can still benefit from your presence. You are an inspiration. Thank you.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John and Edna,

Karen and I enjoyed meeting and boating with you in 2008 at Lake Yellowstone. I still remember some of your stories.

We wish you all the best.
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, when Myrna and I bought the MOOSE in 2002 and joined the C-Brat society, you became a friend to me. You offered us advice on modifications, many of which I incorporated and which still serve well. We have spoken of you many times over the years and still value our association with you.

After a somewhat delayed launch last week, we are setting out on our 2015 inaugural cruise on Rainy Lake later today. We always take a bottle of bubbly along on this first-of-the-season adventure and you can be sure we will be toasting you and Edna. Know that if you ever venture out our way, we would be honored to host you both and give you a tour of our home waters.

Best regards, my old and dear friend.
Al

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I passed your farewell post along to Bill and El. Bill is in the hospital, small heart attack (his words), looks like he is going to be fine. I am sure he will want to chime in here just as soon as they let him have a laptop!

BTW, I saw Far West II in a slip at the Friday Harbor Marina when we were there for the CBGT! I wondered about that!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-You are part of the foundation on which the C-Brats has been built. It's not goodbye, its 'welcome to C-Brat Emeritus status. As our patron saint Yogi Berra has said, "It ain't over 'til it's over"..

"...we're all in the same boat..."
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: C-Brats Reply with quote

Say it ain't so - cause if you say goodbye I would too. I was always told, once a Brat always a Brat. Heck, I am looking at an RF and don't feel one bit like the step child of the group. In fact, I would feel and plan on bringing the new RF to Ladysmith where I know we'll fit in just fine. Being a Brat is more a life style choice. If things don't work out with the RF I have my eye on several CD 25's.
My point, we all share a bond. We made a choice at one time to purchase a C-Dory. Have owned or do own one of the best boats made. And part of that history are the people that have owned those boats. You are a part of the brand and family here.

As others have said,
"Once a Brat, always a Brat."
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: saying farewell to my many C-Dory friends Reply with quote

John,
I met you at Yellowstone about four years ago at the boat ramp at the Bridge Marina in Yellowstone. You gave my wife and I some good advice about laying low on drinking any alcohol our first night in Yellowstone. We enjoyed talking with you and have fond memories of the Yellowstone trip that you were apart. I hope you still make some posts on the C-Brat site. You were always ready to answer questions and help folks plan their trips to the park. You can’t forget the memories of owning a C-Dory even after you no longer own it. My hat is off to you.
Sincerely,
Dave and Ginny Deem

Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had the pleasure of meeting you,but best wishes for the future.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John- You'll always be a brat just like me, and for more reasons than one!

We first met in person on Lake Shasta back in about 2004 or so, after having been friends for several years on the old C-Dogs site.

You're a great friend and very interesting, knowledgeable, and endearing person and I'll always be proud to consider you a fine acquaintance.

Hope you don't feel too bad about stepping away from the boat, it's something we all must face in our later years. I'm almost there, myself.

Stay in touch, bud, I'' be watching for you!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John and Edna, as TyBoo says, you never leave the family! Be sure and still stay in touch!

Heck 80 is not that old--I'm a year off..I fully understand giving up the C Dory. (On the other hand, my pacemaker hasn't gone off lately)

Our family, Marie, daughter Robin, Grandchildren Maya and Deven will always remember your taking a full day to take our gang on a tour of Yellowstone Lake, on Far West II--and letting the kids fish.

You are a fountain of knowledge of the lake and back country. Thanks!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John and Edna I always enjoyed the time we have spent together at the lake. I hope you will get a chance to come up this summer and go to dinner at the cafeteria. You are welcome on my boat anytime.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: