Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8-3-15 This morning we made the the run to the Hoonah Marina to top off fuel & showers in preparation for going to Dundas River & Inlet, but weather update has more north wind coming out of Glacier Bay in the morning then we prefer to head into, so will postpone going for another day.

The weather has turned unbelievable warm here for us at almost 80 degrees, but the blue sky & warmth has also brought the wind. This evening I'm again in my comfortable chair on the dock enjoying the warmth & breeze with some good conversation from other boaters docked by us. 14 miles today & 1233 total. On the water---day 56

doc

City/Region: Auke Bay
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Bella Rey
Photos: C-Alaska
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephens Passage was windy and white caps much of yesterday. Saw a number of whale watching boats heading out, only to turn around and head back as they approached Retreat.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8-5-15 We believed NOAA weather reports & stayed at the Hoonah Harbor, when we should have been on the go, because all boats coming in during the day reported flat calm seas. Today we left at 5:30 AM into no wind but bumpy seas. We're now approaching Pt Adolphus & in very calm water with hopes it will continue as we cross Icy Strait & on into Dundus Bay. With the huge tide swings since the full moon it doesn't take much to stir the seas up.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8-5-15 continued. We were amazed to have three orcas rise up near us just as we reached the Dundas River Inlet to Dundas Bay. They along with hundreds of shore birds, Eagles, fish jumping & being chased by a sea lion, was quite the primary to my taking the Mokai up the river. Taking the Mokai up this river has been on my bucket list, since first seeing it's beautiful setting in 2007. We made it to it's mouth again in April of 2012, but there was still deep snow there then, so didn't make the attempt. I feel great about finally doing it, but I'm finding these glacier fed rivers just a little to exciting, so as fun as this one was to navigate, it will probably be my last & perhaps, I saved the best for last. The wind picked up from the south, about the time, I returned to the Hunkydory, so instead of anchoring there, we headed up & slow cruised beautiful Dundas Inlet. At its very head, near the river coming off the Brady Glacier, we saw our first moose ever in Southeast Alaska, which sure made us think of our daughter in law, Rebecca, who loves seeing them & will go to extremes to do so. Thinking fog might move into North Inian Passage by morning, we decided to make its crossing late this evening, even with the 5 mph ebb tide. The water was a bit rough, but not dangerously so. Tonight we are anchored in the Inian Islands Hobbit Hole, a place not mentioned in the cruising books, but one my friend Les, told me about from his cruise here with his wife Sandy, this spring. It is just as unique as they told me it would be. A storm could be raging in Cross Sound & waters here would still be mirror smooth. 75 miles today & 1308 total. On the water--- day 58

8-6-15. Out of the Hobbit Hole at 6AM to catch the higher end of the tide for its entrance & before high flow started through South Inian Passage. During the high tides of last week the current was running between 11 & 12 mph on the ebb. We had planned on stopping at Elfin Cove, but the early weather check showed the outside forecast for 5 feet & calm winds till afternoon, when they would pick up to 15 knots, so we decided to make the outside run around Yakobi Island, which is the only one of the Brown Bear islands we have not been all the way around. The swells were far spaced & smooth until we got about half way, then first, the points started roughening up & by Deer Harbor it was enough to get both our attention. Shortly after making our way off the open Gulf into Lisianski Strait we passed a 27 feet Almar Sounder with a couple fishing. Later here at our old waiting spot at the Bohemia Shelter & dock, we talked to them & they told us their plans this morning had been to fish the outside, but just as they left Pelican, the latest weather report, which we had missed, had the wind coming early & at 25 knots, so they were very surprised to see our little C-Dory coming through from the outside into Lisianski Strait & now, we know why the 15 knot conditions felt so rough out there.

This evening the wind has calmed though there is still a steady rain falling, so good to be tied to the dock in this special to us spot & feeling safe & secure. 48 miles today & 1356 total. On the water---day 59

8-7-15. Rained most of the night & then most welcome blue sky. This is the day we should have done the loop around Yakobi Island. Jolee said lets do it again today as we'll now be able to see the mountains. I think she has recovered from the beating we took yesterday.

I'm writing this from the library in Pelican just after we had coffee & the big cookies at the Lisianski Inlet Cafe it was a nice addition to the halibut breakfast at the Bohemia Dick early this morning.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8-7-15 continued. We left Pelican on flat water & other than a smooth swell on Cross Sound it stayed that way all the way to Hoonah. So what a magnificent day with no wind & a clear sky with sun shinning down to high light the turquoise colored water & being able to see all the way to the end of the Brady glacier & the Fairweather mountains range with the 12 to 15 thousand foot peaks, along with the view all the way to the head of Glacier Bay & beyond. This added to the many whales with some up close & breaching, made this a very memorable day.

Now the kinda sad part. With very good weather on the Lynn canal tomorrow followed by some nasty stuff, we have decided to make the run for Skagway tomorrow at speed, so at about 5 AM in the morning we'll be off on our last run of this wonderful summer cruise. Making it easier to bring it to an end is knowing we have a road trip ahead we love going south & also have plans of making Yellowstone Lake on the way home. 74 miles today & 1430 total. On the water---day 60
doc

City/Region: Auke Bay
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Bella Rey
Photos: C-Alaska
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you moved out fast. Darned Northern Lynn Canal is nearly always in a small craft warning so you gotta move when you can. We are headed out toward Icy Straight in the morning and we were thinking we might time it right to run into you on your way north. From the Delorme, it looks like you are already well down the road. It was great to visit with you two and to hear about your trip. Amazing too that you pulled it off without a glitch, save a new radio. Hope the road trip goes as well. Safe travel.
ThumbsUp

City/Region: Reno
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Thumbs Up
Photos: Thumbs Up
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Soapstone Rock Reply with quote

Hey Hunkydory!

It was nice meeting you near Soapstone Rock last week after you rounded Yakobi Point. We were on a self-guided fishing trip out of Elfin Cove and caught several big halibut near Cape Spencer. We couldn't find the silvers, they are running late this year.

Found ourselves in a dicey situation on Thursday, the day before we met. No isolated start battery on our rented boat led to a dead battery at Cape Spencer. I will never take a boat out again without an isolated start. Things can go wrong quickly. Fortunately we had a good anchor set, it saved us from the rocks.

Love reading about your travels through SE Alaska, I'm in the process of rigging my CD22 for a trip like this someday.

Have a safe trip home and hope to meet up again someday.

Cheers Beer

Mark
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, it's good to see you made it safely home. Even with a boat set up right those waters around Cross Sound can get the adrenaline flowing. It was great to see your enthusiasm over meeting us in our C-Dory. Watching you all pull up those lines just to make it over for a quick chat with us was certainly noticed & appreciated by us. We will be looking forward to a future trip report of how your C-Dory cruise goes in Alaska.

8-8-15 As planned, we were up & gone at 5AM for the last run of this cruise. The weather was blue sky & light winds with the views of the glaciers & rugged mountain peaks along the Lynn Canal outstanding. With this being all at planing speed we made Skagway by 1AM & started the clean up & transfer process for the road trip south. By 6PM, all was done, so made the 3200 foot climb up & over White Pass & through Canadian Customs, after which only about another mile down the road had a bear cross in front of us, causing a quick stop, so as not to hit it. Shortly before dark found a place along the road to park for the night between Jakes Corner & Johnson Crossing. 109 miles today & 1539 total with 61 days spent on the ocean.

8-9 to 17-15 We saw several more bears close along side the road & non stop wild beautiful country as we made our way south through the Yukon Territory, Alberta & British Columbia. We found only one mile of the remote Cassiar Highway to now be unpaved, which is quite a change from our first trip on it years ago when it's 450 miles were very rough & long sections unpaved. The Cassiar Highway route south set us up for having the Ice field Parkway between Jasper & Baniff National Parks to be the shortest route to Yellowstone Park for our continued trip back home. This is a very unique road through the heart of the Canadian Rockies & one we enjoy every trip through. In Bozeman, Montana, we stopped at our friends Les & Sandy's home, where we spent the first night out of the boat since June 6th. The next day we made it to Bridge Bay Marina on Yellowstone Lake, where we decided to leave the boat in a slip for the rest of the season, which will end on Sept 13th. We relaxed there on the dock spending time with Kevin & Laura, Les & Sandy & all the friends we've made through the years there. We continued on to home today & now will spend the next month alternating time between it & Yellowstone National Park with plans on attending the C-Brat Gathering there on August 29th & then on to Lake Powell for the annual gathering there too. This trip we were gone from home 73 days with 61 days on the ocean, 8 days on the road & 4 days on Yellowstone Lake. We traveled 4811 miles on the road & 1539 miles on the ocean in Southeast Alaska & that now makes for a total of 32,552 miles towing our 22 foot C-Dory boat to & from the Alaskan waters & 9007 miles cruising on them, spread out over our 6 cruises there, during the summers of 2003, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2012 & 2015.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doc wrote:
Wow, you moved out fast. Darned Northern Lynn Canal is nearly always in a small craft warning so you gotta move when you can. We are headed out toward Icy Straight in the morning and we were thinking we might time it right to run into you on your way north. From the Delorme, it looks like you are already well down the road. It was great to visit with you two and to hear about your trip. Amazing too that you pulled it off without a glitch, save a new radio. Hope the road trip goes as well. Safe travel.

Steve, don't know how I missed this post by you, but I did. Thanks again for your assistance. It's wonderful knowing your are there & so willing to help if it's needed & just great sharing time with you & Colleen. Next time & we're confident there will be one, we plan on taking you up on your buoy hookup if your boats not already there. It was so enjoyable, when we were anchored there in 2012 to come ashore directly to your house in the Mokai.

I agree, it is quite remarkable that this years cruise with us & the Discovery crew went so well for both of us on the water & on our road trips, considering all the things that can go wrong or just one bad decision & the cascading events that can result from it.

JoLee & I looked at our video of the cruise last night on the big screen TV & I was able to capture some good stuff, but editing it & posting YouTube videos will have to wait. My computer crashed on the first start up after returning home. My youngest son was able to get my photos ect off the hard drive, but I'm going to take my time on deciding just what to buy for the replacement, so movie making will most likely become a this winter project.

We're already looking forward to our next Alaska Cruise & seeing you two again.

Jay & JoLee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: