dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note to say, Jay, I love reading your posts.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marty & I appreciate your comments.
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am enjoying every word of your writing, and Dixie's too. What a great trip and perfect set of couples to enjoy this trip together.

I know what you speak of regarding Dixie's cooking (can't speak for Brent's cooking... Smile. You can't "buy" better prepared food than Dixie's cooking, you just can't. And together with the company, what an outstanding time!!!

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
BoaterHomer

City/Region: The Villages
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DESSERT 1st
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Warm Springs Bay, a scenic oasis mixed with its variety of people & boats, makes for interesting entertainment & conversation, while surrounded by true wilderness in a unique & special place.

Jay and JoLee, THANK YOU for such a wonderful description of your trip. And of Baranof Warm Springs. Such a perfect way to describe it. It is my favorite place ON EARTH. Sitting in the natural hot springs up the trail while the waterfall is raging just behind is an unbelievable experience. Magical. Everything exactly as you describe. We picked salmon berries there, socialized with all varieties of boaters, and even saw a huge whale in the bay just beside the docks. The natural warm springs were phenomenal and the tubs with the piped in warm water were clean and new. (2013). I tell folks (maybe jokingly?) that this was one of the few times on our Alaska trip that we were warm and clean all at the same time.

Looking forward to your next post.

Hugs,

Mary&Casey

‎"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Our boat trip photos: http://caseyandmary.smugmug.com
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7-9-15 we eased out of Warm Springs Bay & slowly cruised down Baranof Island to the red bluffed entrance to Red Bluff Bay, which is other than the high number of other cruisers who like it too, my favorite all around bay in Southeast Alaska with its normal combination of grandeur & miles of river & tidal waters to explore & look for bears & other wildlife in the Mokai. Earlier in the year when the sedge grass is young the bears are generally plentiful & later when the fish arrive they return again. Now it's salmon berry time & though I've managed to spot 4 bears from the Mokai, they aren't seen by many others this time of the season. 27 miles today 644 total.

7-10-15. Yesterday we arrived here with blue sky that become overwhelmed by the clouds & by evening it had started to rain, which has continued on through today. I put on good rain gear & spent a very enjoyable day in the Mokai wildlife watching. Even found a high spot above the sloughs, where I went to shore with foldable chair & sat for a few hours. My patience payed off with the appearance of several bears. Later I talked to Herb, Wilma & Ron who had anchored near us in the Ranger Tugs, Willies Tug & Nudibranch. When we arrived here yesterday the main creeks were almost dry & waterfalls up high very diminished from the past. By evening with two days of rain all were back to flowing. While out on the Mokai, I noticed a few salmon jumping & starting to gather, so it won't be long before they are here & elsewhere by the many thousands.

7-11-15. We left Red Bluff Bay mid morning out through the narrow opening & into the island area & finally making our way south down Chatham Strait in a drizzling foggy rain on very calm waters. Approximately 10 miles down the coast we entered again through a narrow opening into Gut Bay, which similar to Red Bluff Bay, allows water travel up into a area surrounded by rugged mountains, with beautiful streams entering the bay in between them. We anchored in a narrow inlet at the very head where fish are jumping around us, eagles flying over & seals & otter in the water nearby with a short appearance of a small bear where the stream enters. I fished for a little while & actually caught one using my very short 18 inch pole, then JoLee & I took a Mokai ride up into the high tide slough area followed by a run across the bay, where Brent & Dixie were anchored for an evening visit. Shortly after, tints of blue were back in the sky with the hint of another beautiful day tomarrow.

7-12-15 We relaxed most of the day at our anchorage watching the eagles, seals, & river otter with also a hour run down the bay & back in the Mokai. One of the reasons for anchoring in our present site was to test our new Manson Boss 25# anchor in the soft mud, where in 2010 using a 22# Bruce claw type, we couldn't get it to hold, due to its scooping itself full of mud then just skating on it. With the Manson Boss, we achieve an instant set, which can't be budged even with the power used by both motors. My pecking out this writing with two fingers on my IPad is a slow process & difficult to keep the thinking matching the words.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7-13-15. We are now slugging our way acros Chatham Strait from Gut Bay to Bay of Pillars against a 2 to 3 foot chop making it hard to peck on this iPad.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, your right it is & has been an outstanding trip!

Mary & Casey, you guys know about sharing & what it takes, thanks for the appreciation & for sure we do yours too.

7-13-15. In the outer area of the Bay of Pillars, there were many sea otters among the kelp & a whale in the outer bay. Entrance to the inner bay & now our present anchorage In a narrow narrow cove off of it with several small streams & a grassy meadow at the head is gained by a narrow passage, which with the some charted & others not rocks & kelp on a then ebb tide, a navigating challenge. Fortunately the crews of the Discovery & Hunkydory were up to it. I was somewhat disappointed in not finding visible pillars in the Bay of Pillars, but not at all with missing the ones under the water surface. There is a major change in scenery & bear type with making the crossing from of Chatham Strait from the rugged high mountains with the narrow cliff lined passages of Baranof Island to the many islands & intricate passages about the more rounded hills of Kuiu Island. Me being more tuned to the Rocky Mountains of home prefer the areas of Baranof, Chichagof, Admiralty & the coastal mountains just east & north of them, but the appearance of three black bears, the first we have seen this cruise & now keeping us company along the shore of our anchorage is sure a plus for us here now. During the 15 mile crossing today of Chatham Strait we were surprised to find IPad internet, so made a Skype video call to our granddaughter Olive & her dad Clayton. What amazing technology & wonderful to be able to take advantage of it. 27 miles today & 691 total
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7-14-15. We're now making good speed back up Chatham Strait with the help of the flooding tide & light winds on the stern. The down side, its very difficult to see the shore in the fog & rain, which started yesterday alter noon & has continued since. This morning we wanting to catch this flood tide, so we went out the very narrow channel into about a 7 mph current. This was worth about an extra 3 or maybe even 4 cups of coffee even with the tracks from the previous day. We have had much better than normal weather the first month, but the last week has settled into a pattern we are more use to from the past cruises. Fortunately the Wallas heater is still working, which JoLee does not like me to even mention in fear it will take notice & quit.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:
7-14-15. We're now making good speed back up Chatham Strait with the help of the flooding tide & light winds on the stern. The down side, its very difficult to see the shore in the fog & rain, which started yesterday alter noon & has continued since. This morning we wanting to catch this flood tide, so we went out the very narrow channel into about a 7 mph current. This was worth about an extra 3 or maybe even 4 cups of coffee even with the tracks from the previous day. We have had much better than normal weather the first month, but the last week has settled into a pattern we are more use to from the past cruises. Fortunately the Wallas heater is still working, which JoLee does not like me to even mention in fear it will take notice & quit.

We anchored for the night in Hallack Cove, Saginaw Bay on Kuiu Island, which is about 15 miles from the Native town of Kake, where we plan on going tomarrow for groceries, ice, water & fuel. 38 miles today & 729 total
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this. I really enjoy all the colors in the text. You all are really making me drool.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

dbrown993

City/Region: Prosperity
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: O' So Nice
Photos: O' So Nice
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: heavy boat Reply with quote

What do you think accounts for all the extra weight on your boat? Other 22s seem to consistently come in under 5000# fully loaded including trailer. I am interested because contemplating purchasing a 22 Cruiser and my towing vehicle is only rated for 5000#
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: heavy boat Reply with quote

dbrown993 wrote:
What do you think accounts for all the extra weight on your boat? Other 22s seem to consistently come in under 5000# fully loaded including trailer. I am interested because contemplating purchasing a 22 Cruiser and my towing vehicle is only rated for 5000#

My boat is a 2007 with the fiberglass interior. The number that the factory gives of 1925 lbs. is an old number that I don't think is right any more. Last time I weighed mine it was 5580 lbs. It was full of water and fuel and some gear with a 600 lbs. at the ball. I don't think their number is that abnormal. If I took all the gear out of the boat I might get it down to 5000 lbs.

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2007 CD-22 with a Mercury 115hp EFI 4-stroke. Tandem axle aluminum trailer. These are my actual weights:

C-Dory & Trailer (Full gas tanks, water tank 2/3 full, Cooler in cockpit approx. 80 lbs). Compliment of normal? equipment. (ie, anchor, etc.)

Total weight: 5065 lbs.
Tongue Weight 405 lbs
Axle Weight 4660 lbs

Note, these are on the trailer. I do not have an empty trailer weight, but I'm guessing the trailer is around 1500 lbs. So the boat itself would weight around 3500 lbs, which makes sense. Colby
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7-15-15. With a change of plans, Discovery & Hunkydory decided to not stop in Kake, but instead do our re supply in Petersburg, so headed out at 7:30 AM to catch the help of the flooding tide to make a 47 mile run to Portage Cove on Kupreanof Island, the only good anchorage between Hallack Cove & Petersburg on the south side of Fredrick Sound, besides right around Kake. Many whales on the way, including one that rose up not more than 30 feet away, but needed the camera in hand already for a photo. Also many black bears along the shore with a count of at least 9. After anchoring here about 2:30 PM, JoLee & I went to shore on the Mokai, near an old logging dock. We didn't use the dock for the boats, due to it's wood timber's leaking creosote & though floating with a higher tide it grounded when lower. The difference in tide here in Portage Bay tonight is 19.4 feet, which is why some of these narrow openings, we have entered & exited to access different bays, when the tide water is changing can be a daunting experience. Got side tracked a bit, so back to our walk ashore. There we found several in very good shape, vehicles parked along an old logging road. It didn't appear they had been moved any time recently & no other sign of people activity, so still don't know there purpose for being here. We did see moose sign & a porkypine, but fortunately in the heavy cover no bears, though this evening as I'm writing this, one is on the shore by us & very near, where we started our walk & Brent had taken their dog Rusty to shore in the dingy. We did have some blue sky to at least alternate with the rain & good visibility today. Even though Discovery is easily capable of cruising at more than 25 mph & us at 15 mph, of the 776 miles cruised so far, less than 10 miles have been at above displacement speed, which is approximately 6.5 to 7 mph with the tidal currents making that a few either higher or lower. This not only greatly reduces the cost of cruising, but makes for almost doubling our range, allowing us to see places we would have to skip otherwise. 47 miles today & 776 total.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: heavy boat Reply with quote

dbrown993 wrote:

It's been shown that I'm not the only one running this heavy, but for me at least explained by the boat being weighed after loaded for this Alaska cruise where 400 lbs alone was in extended use food supplies. Add in tools, extra fuel, spare chain, rope & anchor & all the extras for a three month extended wilderness cruise & the weight adds up. I tow with a 1 ton duelly crew cab 4X4 & my present trailer is rated for more than the boat weighed, along with past cruises showing the heavy weighted boat not a concern on the water makes it not a problem for me. It would be if my tow vehicle was rated for under 5000 lbs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: