View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: 2015 SE Alaska Cruise out of Skagway Reply with quote

Other than a few very minor items we are ready for departure the morning of June 6th. I had the truck & boat weighed separately today & now know what our heavily loaded CD 22 weighs with us aboard on the water with a full load of fuel & water. It came out to be 4927 lbs. The combination trailer & boat on the road is 5687 lbs with 660 lbs of that on the hitch. The 4927 lbs is quite a jump up from the original factory advertised weight of the boat alone being 1925 lbs without motors or any other additions. This year we are carrying 18 gal less fuel but that is made up for in extra storage room in the berth. We have in the past & most notably in 2007 been in some very rough seas on the Lynn Canal & open Gulf of Alaska with approximately the same weight with the boat handling it very well.

Since our last Southeast Alaska cruise in 2012 these are some of the additions & maintenance items that have been done on the Hunkydory in preparation for this cruise other than the routine servicing, waxing & other minor prepping such as electrical & other connections.

1 A complete new anchor set up including Lewmar H700 windless with wireless controller, heavier duty roller to fit 25 lb Manson Boss anchor, 50 feet of G4 HT 1/4" chain, 250 feet New England 8 brait 1/2" rode, spare 15 lb Manson Supreme anchor with another 30 feet of chain & 400 feet of three strand 3/8 rode.

2. Replaced complete hydraulic steering system, which included the cylinder assembly, lines, fittings, helm pump & auto pilot pump.

3. Took flotation out of the V berth area & set it up for extra storage & ease of access.

4 Hypervent added under the V berth cushions for better condensation control.

5 New closed cell foam padding & carpet on top of the dry deck on the cabin floor.

7 New baby whale foot pump for the sink water.

8 Impellers replaced including all seals.

9 Had the motors timing belt replaced. The motors now have 1700 hours on them with the carburetors having never needed adjustment, rebuild or cleaning. The motors run as well now as they ever have, can only hope that continues, but they are not a worry to me even with the hours on them.

10. Remounted the transducer with the no screw system for bonding & over drilled the old holes & filled with epoxy.

11. On the trailer. New brakes, bearings & tires. The old tires had over 22000 miles on them & were manufactured in 2006 with there still being usable tread left & no cracking or other blemishes. As you can see, I differ with some on the need for tire change out only gauged on the number of years since manufacture.

Anchoring this trip is going to be a much improved process over the past & the new auto pilot pump with the new tight hydraulic steering system should also make for much more pleasant slow speed cruising. And most importantly perhaps it will be the first trip since 2004 that the Wallas will work for the complete cruise. Can only keep my fingers crossed on that, but it sure has been operating great since installed at Steve & Colleens place in Auke Bay in the first month of the 2012 cruise. That year in 2 months we ran it for 784 hours. Anyway that's the hours Scan Marine told me it had on it when I sent it in for service.

I plan on taking lots of photos & video this year, but hope to cut back some on the writing with hopes of Brent & Dixie doing the majority of it with a thread of there own. We have thoroughly enjoyed the past write ups of their cruises, so know the telling would be great.

Jay

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of interesting info in this post. I enjoyed reading it over. On the one hand, I'm happy for you to be taking somewhat of a break from your great cruise documentation (because I know it's a fair bit of work), but on the other hand.... you sure do know how to tell a (true) story! I'm reading of this trip with some wistfulness that I'm not there, but also excitement for your summer. Here's to a(nother) amazing trip!

Sunbeam
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, You are an inspiration. Best wishes for a really great and trouble free trip.
"...the truck & boat weighed separately today & now know what our heavily loaded CD 22 weighs with us aboard on the water with a full load of fuel & water. It came out to be 4927 lbs."

That weight does include the trailer, right? My 22 on the trailer, (Pacific Galvanized tandem, bunk with side guides), comes in at 4900 with full fuel and water. Tongue weight is 475#.

You are packing really light for 2 with all the boat stuff - extra anchor, chain and rode, fuel, Moki etc. You are going to really enjoy that new AP.

Really looking forward to the pictures and video.

Safe travels,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, never mind.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, the 4927 lbs is just the boat & JoLee & my weight included as it would weigh sitting in the water. The trailer is another 1280 lbs with the spare tire, so just the boat & trailer without us in it on the scale is 5867 lbs with 660 lbs of that on the hitch. In my post I stated 5687 lbs & had reversed the 6 & 8 dropping 200 lbs from the actual.

I only replaced the pump on the S1000 auto pilot, so though way improved with the addition of the new helm pump & cylinder assembly it's no doubt not as nice as yours. I would have liked to purchased either a new Raymarine or Garmin, but with the rest of my old auto pilot system other than the pump checking out good when sent to Raymarine, I couldn't justify the $'s for a new one.

Thanks for the compliment & well wishes.

Sunbeam, I'm glad you enjoyed the pre-trip information & my past stories. When I share an experience, it really is with the intent to do my best attempt to tell it like it really was or at least the best I remember it without exaggeration.

Jay
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification Jay, It will be fun to follow along on your pix. Did that weight include the Moki? Are you using the same one as before or did you do the upgrade to the 3 piece version?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,

EXCELLENT write-up re your trip preparation. Really comprehensive. Thanks.

We added HyperVent a while back, and like it (I guess). It does seem to help with the ventilation issue, but 'dang the underside is sharp! Be careful when you're accessing your new V-berth storage compartments. When I do that, it's almost assured that the tiny HyperVent spines (for lack of a better term) will result in several tiny cuts in my arms. The other thing we had to do was cut it back a bit around the sides of the Porta-Potty; don't want tiny cuts on ones 'Nether Regions! ...but still, it seems to do the job intended.

Have a great trip! Having Brent and Dixie along should be mucho Fun!

After nearly a week-long tourist period in Washington DC (we Loved it!) we're currently near the mouth of the Potomac River (Dennis Pt Marina, MD) waiting for a non-small-craft warning opportunity to proceed North toward Solomon's Island (about 40 miles). We're ready to move-on, but really don't like to push the wx (and that tendency seems to get stronger with each passing birthday)!

Have a Great Adventure!

Best,
Casey&Mary

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, the 4927 lbs in the water does not include the weight of the Mokai which is towed & yes I still have the older 2011 year model. With all its expensive upgrades, I cannot yet justify the new model though from Jody & other reviews it is well made & has several improvements over ours now.

Casey, yes I've found that out too, one does need to be careful with the hypervent. I'm sure hoping for improvement in wet cushion & bedding issues from the past.

It's sure been enjoyable keeping up with Mary & your varied & seemingly non stop travel adventures. What a ride you two have been on & us very thankful for your sharing it.

Jay
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safe travels to you two and Brent and Dixie. We'll be looking forward to updates and photos.

Best wishes,
Jim & Joan
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information--The weight does not surprise me at all.

In the future, I wonder if putting the silicon pad, non skid, siliconed to the side of the Hypervent where you might have contact, and then a layer of silicone over the Hypervent edges, might prevent the "spine" cuts.

All of us wish you the fairest of winds and calmest of seas! Look forward to the photos and narrative!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Lost Petrel

City/Region: Potter Valley
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Wild Blue
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to be following your updates also.
Fair Winds

http://lostpetrel.blogspot.com/
Other boats;
Cape Dory Typhoon
Pearson Ariel
My Galleries
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Dr. Bob said, Jay, we will be eagerly awaiting your posts and photos!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Water Bill

City/Region: Lake Keowee, SC
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: Mystery Girl (Ranger Tug R-23)
Photos: Mystery Girl and C-Swell
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,

Like everyone else I hope you and Jolee along with Brent and Dixie have a great time safe trip. Those of us who will probably never get to take an adventure like this will be looking forward to your write ups, photos and videos. Thanks for all the pre trip info. Hope you make it to Powell some time this fall so Sue and I can meet up with you and Jolee and get a first hand account of your voyage.

Bill
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I have done this right this link should show our Delorme InReach position for the summer Alaska trip. https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson

I won't turn on the tracking until we actually begin the trip. We leave home on 6/5/15 and have a few days drive to get to Skagway, where we launch.

We will meet Jay and JoLee (Hunkydory) on 6/6 in Idaho, and travel together to Skagway. It's 2551 miles one way for us to Skagway.

Transfering this link from the Pelican Gathering thread.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Ashley Lynn

City/Region: Panhandle
Vessel Name: Ashley Lynn
Photos: Ashley Lynn
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy the adventure........

Looking forward to following your journey.

Boating, where its ok to play with your dinghy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: