The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cabin Storage Ideas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Cabin Storage Ideas Reply with quote

Last year, I cut and hinged doors into the inboard faces of the cubby holes under the dinette seats. The aft cupboard lets me see the water level in the fresh tank, and stow the life jackets on top of it without removing the seat cushion. In the forward cupboard, I put some 6" deep shelves installed right at the front, and I use the space behind it to stow infrequent use items. The shelves hold some of my fishing gear, and the rest of the space is accessed by lifting the seat cushion.

This winter, I hope to come up with some way of better utilizing and organizing the v-berth area. B~C, you said something once about wanting to put some shelves along the hull in there? Did you come up with a plan yet? I was thinking of taking a piece of 1 x 4 wood of some sort, and affixing it with adhesive to the inside arc of the hull. Maybe a screw through the glass and into the wood on each end and the center to make sure it stays bowed and stuck. With that, I could attach any old thing I wanted to the wood, and not have to screw into the glass for every hanger or bracket.

Ok then, let's come up with some plans.

Mike

I was pondering the V-berth situation just today. I was at home depot looking at a piece of 1/2 x 6 oak and thinking of epoxyfying it on the horizontal surface so it would stick out a few inches in the center of the shelf then taper to 0 as the curve of the deck caught up with the straight board. I could install a lip on the board to keep things from crashing. I though by doing it this way I wouldn't have to try to bend anything or match the radius of the deck so a woodworking idiot like myself wouldn't screw it up. We need input from the resident wood worker

There should be a number of ways to get some productive storage out of the berth area. What's that saying .......err ...Think twice / cut once.......err

Mike, I like the idea of the hinged doors under the dinette seats. As I mentioned I have plans on making some changes in these areas. Right now I have a rubber/cushioned mat on the top of the platform over the water tank on the rear dinette seat and use that area for reel, extra knives & misc. storage, but of course have to lift the seat to access it. Your hinged door setup sounds like a nice option.

I am going to put another bank of drawers under the front seat of the dinette as my next step. When I finish that, I'll step back, take another look, including pulling a "Fox trot" and possibly moving the fresh water under the floor of the V-berth. That would open up the area under the rear dinette seat to a whole new plethora of storage options.

I'm not smart enough to figure out the whole grand scheme ahead of time. Taking these steps one at a time are taxing enough on this 'ole guy.

Having said that, lets figure out a practical way to utilize some storage in the V-Berth area.

Mark
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me the models of plastic doors used to access the areas under the dinnett seats? True Story has pictures of two doors on the seats. Has anyone else put in doors?
Thanks,
Steve
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what True Story has, but the ones mostly used are Bomar hatches...

seabran wrote:
Can anyone tell me the models of plastic doors used to access the areas under the dinnett seats? True Story has pictures of two doors on the seats. Has anyone else put in doors?
Thanks,
Steve

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Home Depot plumbing manifold door, it costs about $12 and works like a champ. It's a plastic panel with a spring loaded catch that just snaps in, and out of the hole I cut under the seat
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out www.pompanette.com for all manner of Bomar hatches.
Al
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: