colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this thread back to life. It looks like Midnight Flyer will be on the Inside Passage from between 2-4 months. I do not have bottom paint at this time, and really would prefer not to add it, since I typically trailer the boat and it's usually used in fresh water. That being said, what recommendations or experience would others share with me about having the boat in the SE Alaska waters that long? Swimming under the boat to clean it is not an option! Shocked I'm not adverse to having it pulled/slung and power washed every month, or longer, if necessary, and if so, how easy is it to come across facilities that can do that? Colby
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have experience on this, but won't being on the move most of the time help? Also, the cruising speed of the C-Dory (if you choose to use it) may also mitigate things.

If it were me, I wouldn't be worried about it. My boat isn't bottom painted, and unless I was a regular cruiser of that area, I wouldn't paint my boat for a one time trip.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, When I started reading this (this time) I was thinking about Roger (Sensie) situation. Yours will be different, and much more similar to mine, although I didn't go north of Cape Caution, I spent 100 days up in the Broughtons and around the north end of Vancouver Island. I did not have bottom paint Sad but I did have plans to pull the boat, and scrub and wash the bottom during that time. I did have the boat moving almost every day, and did usually run the throttle up for a bit, maybe 5 - 15 minutes, thinking I was "scrubbing" the bottom. At 48 days I pulled the boat out for a through cleaning. I had been brushing the sides and aft, including the metal parts, (tabs, ducer and OB leg) in between times but not as good as I should have. At 48 days I had green slime, grass growing up to 1 inch long, AND I had barnacles up to the size of a new pencil eraser. These did not come off easy. When they were still wet, I scraped them off with a stiff plastic piece like a 3/16" plastic ruler. I all, I spent close to 40 hours of scraping, sanding and repairing some of the gel coat.

My choice is not to bottom paint, an like you, I'd like to stay that way. I would look into some way to get the boat out and get it pressure washed regularly, maybe 3 weeks or a month max. If you can get it out of the water and let it dry for a day or two that would be even better.

Another north bound C-Dory, Ospry, just did bottom paint for doing the same trip you are looking at for this summer. To each his own, and there are good reason for either decision.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have the boat in the water in the PNW last year for about 4 weeks total but in between 2 weeks, 1 week and 1 week it was back on the trailer. While most that time was on plane, I had a clean bottom other than the usual scum. However this time I expect most travel will be at Hull speeds other than crossing long open areas.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its going to be summer. Get out in a shallow bay on anchor and scrub the bottom with a green scrub pad once a week. As long as you do it while the boat is wet its a lot easier. Then plan to power wash it the minute you pull it.
ssobol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
... As long as you do it while the boat is wet its a lot easier. Then plan to power wash it the minute you pull it.

Retrieve and drive it home on a rainy day. It'll still be wet when you get there.
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
starcrafttom wrote:
... As long as you do it while the boat is wet its a lot easier. Then plan to power wash it the minute you pull it.

Retrieve and drive it home on a rainy day. It'll still be wet when you get there.

Well, Maybe not. Hate to break the news to you folks from the other half of the country but last year, Seattle had over 100 days without rain. But, Toms idea is sort of what I did, Scrub when and where I could about once a week.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea how cold the water is in the Inside Passage north of Ketchikan? Wink Colby
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my experience the growth and barnacles and such seemed to really start taking hold at about one month. And this was after prepping with a good wax job.
ssobol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Well, Maybe not. Hate to break the news to you folks from the other half of the country but last year, Seattle had over 100 days without rain. But, Toms idea is sort of what I did, Scrub when and where I could about once a week.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

I used to live in Renton. One year it rained for 100 days straight.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Any idea how cold the water is in the Inside Passage north of Ketchikan? Wink Colby

Ranging from the high 30’s in April to the mid 50’s during the summer on average.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ranging from the high 30’s in April to the mid 50’s during the summer on average.

Yeah, like I said, swimming underneath the boat to clean it ain't happening! Shocked Colby
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try going without bottom paint. I have it now, but I wish that I didn't. I would really like to try one of the slippery paints. Unfortunately, I would need to remove the bottom paint first. Been there, done that on a sailboat hull. That type of project has now moved into the "pay to have it done" column.

Even traveling at hull speed will keep things from growing on your boat. It is mainly when you are stopped that gets you animal and plant hitchhikers. Of course, you will be stopped every evening, so there is no doubt that things will attach. Most of that will be at the waterline and just below. The shape of the dory hull makes the change from light to dark fairly sudden on most of the hull. My guess (completely unscientific and only based on experience) is that the vertical sides of the hull will get 4 times as much growth (including barnacles) as the underneath beyond the chine.

That is good in that the area is easily cleaned off with a push broom from on deck. The shape of the dory hull also makes it possible to wade knee deep with hip boots and scrub the underneath, but I probably wouldn't bother for 4-6 week trip, especially if up on plane once a day. The transom is also easy. Cleaning trim tabs could be a pain (yet another reason to avoid).

Dried slime is a pain to remove. Baby barnacles can leave a little white ring when gently scraped off with a plastic spackle spreader. I've had the tiny white rings dissolve and disappear during subsequent uses in both fresh and salt water (on an aluminum boat with no bottom paint). Dried slime will also die and slowly slough off over subsequent uses. I see minor gunk as merely a cosmetic issue, but it may depend on the captain's position on the laziness scale.

Waxing sounds interesting (except that I already have bottom paint). I heard that some of the "not really wax" type of car waxes (containing silicon) can cause issues. I've read that they can make auto body repair more difficult because touch-up paint might not adhere properly. I would do research to make sure that any release type coating on the hull wouldn't make applying bottom paint in the future (should you choose) more difficult.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark said:
Quote:
"....Even traveling at hull speed will keep things from growing on your boat. It is mainly when you are stopped that gets you animal and plant hitchhikers. Of course, you will be stopped every evening, so there is no doubt that things will attach. Most of that will be at the waterline and just below. The shape of the dory hull makes the change from light to dark fairly sudden on most of the hull. My guess (completely unscientific and only based on experience) is that the vertical sides of the hull will get 4 times as much growth (including barnacles) as the underneath beyond the chine."

Mark. On my 100 day outing, most of my cruising was at hull speed, with only a small portion up on plane (thinking I would be cleaning the bottom). I found that the growth, both green stuff and barnacles, was about equal, sides and bottom. My cruising was typically, for about 2-4 hours (average) per day, with anchoring for the remains of the 24 hours. The area was all north of Campbell River on Vancouver Island. Water temps were 40 - 45F, with some occasionally higher when back in the ends of some of the long inlets, (Mackinzie, Knight, etc).

I agree, that I don't want bottom paint, and will probably continue to avoid by planning shorter water times (less than one month at a time) and more aggressive bottom cleaning on longer trips.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've very curious why some of you are against using bottom paint? Some have alluded to leaving marks on the trailer runners, but what else other than expense? Just looks, or does it slow the boat down some?

Next week I will be bringing the new-to-me 22 Cruiser I purchased in Flagstaff AZ up to Eastsound WA, and my current plan is to keep it on a dock during the summer months, and on its trailer during the winter. Of course the 6 months in the water will make bottom paint a necessity. But what are the downsides of bottom paint?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: