View previous topic :: View next topic  
homerjack

City/Region: Homer
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 49er
Photos: 49er
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Door Wood Grain Reply with quote

Just ordered this wood grain vinyl to recover my outer cabin door. Will see how it looks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/mobile/dp/B00UOUO19M/ref=mobile_oh_details_?ie=UTF8&app-action=detail&asin=B00UOUO19M&clickstream-tag=your_order
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Wood Grain Reply with quote

homerjack wrote:
Just ordered this wood grain vinyl to recover my outer cabin door. Will see how it looks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/mobile/dp/B00UOUO19M/ref=mobile_oh_details_?ie=UTF8&app-action=detail&asin=B00UOUO19M&clickstream-tag=your_order

homerjack-

You're using the 3x6 foot size for $34.50?

Doing the outside only/not necessary/faded on the inside?

Can the vinyl be applied w/o removing and re-installing the window?

An alternative I've considered is to paint the entire door (both sides and edges) with LPU paint (best paint) or a good, two part epoxy, matching the cabin color.

Let us know how it comes out!

Good Luck!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
homerjack

City/Region: Homer
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: 49er
Photos: 49er
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joe. Yes only doing outside. Inner is fine. I do plan to remove the window trim to get cleaner fit.
I also tried painting w epoxy and didn't like result. Color matching issues, etc.

Also found a NAPA product called Sil-Glyde which does wonders restoring the black on door window weatherstrip which has turned weathered white.
miss ellie

City/Region: Belfast
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Miss Ellie
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Wood grain door Reply with quote

Several years ago I painted the door on my 1989 22' footer. It too was faded and actually losing some of its printed woodgrain effect. I removed the door and layed it flat on saw horses, working one door face at a time. Clean the woodgrain with a strong cleaner and a scrub brush, then plenty of liquid sandpaper/de-greaser. Tape off unpainted parts and apply one coat of Petit Easypoxy, using a roller (made for polyurethanes), then tip it off with the best brush you can afford. I used one quart of "off-white" and wound up with a great job, nearly a perfect match to the surrounding gelcoat.
Don't skimp with the paint. One advantage of laying the door flat is that you can flow on the paint, leaving it just shy of puddling. It will flow out and level quite nicely.
Give it several days to thoroughly dry before carefully flipping to complete the other side. Rehang the door and no one will ever know it was painted.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Wood grain door Reply with quote

miss ellie wrote:
...Petit Easypoxy... I used one quart of "off-white" and wound up with a great job, nearly a perfect match to the surrounding gelcoat.

I wasn't doing the door (rather a separate wooden "transom table"), but I found the exact same thing with Pettit Easypoxy on my 2002 22 Cruiser (thanks to a tip from "Carpy"). Really an amazing color match.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: