View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Lake Powell Maps Reply with quote

We are considering Lake Powell this spring. Any advice on the best charts? Due to the low levels, I was thinking a product with dynamic lake levels would be a good safety feature. We have Navionics and Garmin Blue Chart on our IPads. I did buy the $5 Navionics in app purchase that allows you to adjust the lake level, but the detail is not the best. Is the Garmin Inland Lakes SD card with dynamic lake levels and auto guidance worth $200? Lake Powell lake level map downloads are available in 10' increments but are $90 each.

Any advice from you experienced Lake Powllers welcome. Thanks, ken
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Inland maps from Garmin. You can adjust the safety shading so you know where not to go. When I get in the shallows it's eyeballs and depth finder. I wouldn't trust Garmin or Lowrance for whale watching. There are plenty of mistakes in both maps that can get you into trouble if you trust them to much. Stay in the river channel on the map when heading up and down the lake and you will be ok. Anything outside of that watch for the green water and slow down.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: For new boaters an overview:Also Reply with quote

Agree with Jody, I tried the 1 foot contour from Navonics last year, and it was super busy, with far more detail than you want for cruising. I have tried several of the various charts, including the Navionics, and Garmin. They all have errors. As Jody says, use the eyeballs. We do take short cuts, very slowly--and watch the depth on the sounder, and trim the motor up. Some short cuts can save many miles.

I also still use the various maps--the Stan Jones is a favorite of many, I carry the Kingfisher maps (North and South), and the Fish-N-Maps (North and South) I cut the laminated photo map by "Rainbow Gold", to the size of the dinette table, and then put an acrylic clear overlay--that way I can mark with a wax pencil if I wish.

There is a good discussion of maps on Wayne's World:
http://www.wayneswords.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=88&Itemid=57

And Wayne's World, in general: fishing information etc--great resource.
http://www.wayneswords.com

Another source is Fred's Liquor store. (Really more of A fishing store on S. Lake Powell Blvd right in town)--worth a visit and great place to get the fishing license. (and buy fishing lures).
http://fredsliquorstore.com/maps.html

Of course the most recent edition of the "Partner's West Boaters Guide to Lake Powell" is worth its weight in Gold. There are several hiking guides, I like to read at least one book on the history or stories of Lake Powell on each visit. Certainly the classic is John Wesley Powell History of His trips down the river, such as "The Great Unknown". Others are: "Ghosts of Glen Canyon, History beneath Lake Powell", Glen Canyon Dammed, The Colorado River Through Glen Canyon: Before Lake Powell,Lake Powell: Virgin Flow to Dynamo (out of print, but used book dealers have it on the cheap), we also carry the Audubon Field Guide to the SouthWest. One of the good bird books is also fun.

Things you can download to the I pad, or computer: Geology of the Canyon
http://www.utahgeology.org/road_logs/uga-29_first_edition/NR_guide/lakepowe.pdf

The Glen Canyon Natural History Association has a web page:
http://www.glencanyonnha.org/nature-geology/ They also have a brief Geology book: "Bare Essentials of Geology: Lake Powell and Glen Canyon.

Topo maps from one of the apps is very handy, such as Trailbehind, "Offline Topo maps". These are great for planning hikes, as well as looking at contours.

"Skipper" app (NOAA charts) covers this area with Topo maps which also should have the Active Captain coverage for this area. (Skipper is also a Trailbehind product, and switches to their Topo maps inland.

Lots to do and ways to expand the horizon with books, charts etc.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jody and Bob for the advice and other links. We will be studying them as the research is half the fun. Our only experience was a family reunion on a house boat several years ago. After a week on the water we all realized why we live in different states. Smile

Any further advice on the best launch to access the better features of Powell? I read somewhere that Antelop was a good option as it saved many channel miles at the lower levels. Ken
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your coming from Idaho, look at Bullfrog as a launching area. It would save you some road miles, and put you in the middle of the lake.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see this thread. I had started one a while back somewhere, for our planned trip to Lake Powell in the last half of next month. Still set to go out. We will be launching at Bullfrog on June 19th, and spending a week on the water. Any current /recent information anyone wishes to share would be appreciated. (Last time I was on Lake Powell was in a rented houseboat in 1998.) I have a Garmin GPSMAP 840xs that has all the current lake maps. I also have several charts I saved from 1998. I understand the reservoir is at about 45%, so I'm sure it'll look a little different from anything I can remember. Sad Curious about parking the SUV and trailer rig for the week there at Bull Frog, and how the ramps are. BTW, spending both ends of the trip at a hotel in Moab doing the Canyon Lands and Arches. Been quite a while since I've been there also. This will be my wife's first time in this area, so I'm looking forward to showing her the area. Again, any advice or current information on the area would be appreciated. Also, I did check with the states I'm driving thru, IA, NE, CO and UT regarding any inspections. Nebraska said they will start in 2016, but no problems this year. UT did say they do inspect, and I'm still waiting to here from CO. I don't believe IA is a problem. Anyone have any recent experience towing boats thru Colorado, or know how anal the inspections are in Utah? Thanks in advance for any info. Colby
jkidd

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullfrog ramp should be fine. You can park your vehicle and trailer at the top of the ramp for 10 days. For longer times you need to make araingements with the Rangers.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm assuming it's as safe as anywhere to park there for a week? Colby
jkidd

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to many issues the only place other than that would be to have Offshore Marine or Ticaboo lock it up in their storage. I have never had a problem myself. I have heard of spare tires and lights being stolen.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been doing a lot of researching regarding boat inspections. From what I gather, it sounds like I will need to get my boat decontaminated coming out of Lake Powel before I leave the area. What have others experienced with this that have recently been on Lake Powell? Sounds like a free wash down, but is it much of a hassle? Not sure about prelaunch. Sounds like zebra mussels are already in the Lake... I did take the online quiz to get the "certificate". Here is one link to what I'm speaking of. You can link to other information through it. http://wildlife.utah.gov/wildlife-news/1663-quagga-mussel-checkpoint.html As I've read through a lot of stuff, there was even some discussion about anchor lockers. So my concern is, how will they decontaminate that without possibly blowing a lot of hot water into the vBerth? Colby
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on Powell last fall (took out in mid-October) and I did not have to have (nor did I have) a decontamination afterward. (They had already thrown in the towel on pre-inspections at that time.) I can't remember for sure, but it might have been because of my onward plans (which were to take the boat to indoor storage in a warm dry climate for the winter season). I think there may have been a guideline about the climate and how long you would be storing before next launch. In certain conditions they can't survive. I may have had to answer a few questions to determine this but I don't remember anymore - sorry I'm not more certain. Something to look into anyway (whether your plans after Powell may make a difference).
Water Bill

City/Region: Lake Keowee, SC
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: Mystery Girl (Ranger Tug R-23)
Photos: Mystery Girl and C-Swell
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started boating on Lake Powell in the late 1980's and up until a few years after I acquired my C-Dory in 2007 all I used was a depth sounder and the Stan Jones Map and never had any problems.

That being said I am now using the Garmin LakeVu HD Ultra West on my Garmin 741xs chartplotter depth sounder and the Navionics USA app on my Nexus 7 Tablet. I like the Garmin because I can add bouys and locations I have anchored at for future reference. I use one zoomed in and one zoomed out. I find one as good as the other for the type of cruising I do, mostly at around 5 knots. They both will keep you positioned in the deep water in the main river channels and deeper water in the side canyons where I would be comfortable cruising at any speed. I think if you are going to get out of the main channels it is prudent to slow down and keep a eye out for unexpected shallowing water and rocks just below the surface and not rely solely on the chartplotters. As mentioned you can usually see a change in the color of the water when it starts getting shallow or some wave breaking action when rocks are near the surface.

The Stan Jones map is great for giving you the names of each of the side canyons and a little information on each of them. I do not have any of the other references mentioned.

Sue and I just returned from our third week long trip to Powell this year (it's great being retired now) and as already mentioned they are no longer inspecting your boat when you launch. I launched at Halls Crossing each trip and when I left the Lake and traveled back to Colorado I did not encounter any inspections in either state. Not sure what they do at any of the other Powell launch ramps. The lakes that I do boat on in southwest Colorado do there own inspections. If you have been in contaminated water they have a hot water pressure washer they use on the engine with muffs and on spray the hull if they see anything suspicious. They have never been to concerned with the anchor locker if it is dry.

I have left the truck and trailer in the parking lot at Halls Crossing from 4 to 10 days at a time and so far have never had a problem.

Hope to make one more trip in about two weeks if it doesn't get to hot for Sue. I would be glad to do my best to answer any other questions you might have.

Bill
ckcpony

City/Region: Pony
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Amy Jo
Photos: Tonka
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We spent a week on Lake Powell the second week of May. We launched and retrieved at Wahweap Marina.When we pulled out at Wahweap we were stopped at the top of the ramp by some very polite young people, whom I assume worked for the state of Arizonn or Utah, and they inspected our boat. They then put a wire seal on our bow eye connected to our trailer and a paper stating that we had been inspected by them. We headed north for home in Montana and didn't have to stop again until someplace just after we entered Idaho for another inspection. When they asked where the last place the boat had been in the water ( lake Powell ) they said " well that calls for a decontamination" . They then explained that it wasn't manditory but they would " feel better about it". After a five minute delay we were on our way.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
I was on Powell last fall (took out in mid-October) and I did not have to have (nor did I have) a decontamination afterward. (They had already thrown in the towel on pre-inspections at that time.) I can't remember for sure, but it might have been because of my onward plans (which were to take the boat to indoor storage in a warm dry climate for the winter season). I think there may have been a guideline about the climate and how long you would be storing before next launch. In certain conditions they can't survive. I may have had to answer a few questions to determine this but I don't remember anymore - sorry I'm not more certain. Something to look into anyway (whether your plans after Powell may make a difference).

Coming home last fall, we were inspected and received a decontamination as we entered Idaho, plus a very thorough inspection as we entered Oregon at Ontario.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water Bill,

Nice surprise to see a C-Dory in Durango.

Nice photo album(s) and interesting to see the Navajo Reservoir pix. I have been to the dam there and up to the marina on the NM end, kind of looking it over to take my boat to at some point. I have friends in Farmington and have considered pulling the boat down there after a time at Powell.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: