View previous topic :: View next topic  
chucko

City/Region: Davidson
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Angel
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Loose cabin door hinges Reply with quote

I am re tightening my door hinges every so often, and wondering what's a good thread locker solution to use. Anybody use lock tite product or something similar.this is not the door itself,but the bulkhead. Thx

1997 22 cruiser, sold may 2023
1998 17 Aquasport Osprey cc sold sold 2012
1977 16 Mako cc sold 1999
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Loose cabin door hinges Reply with quote

I used to on other boats get some of those old round tooth picks and put them in the screw holes then break them off flush. Then gave the screw a coating bath tub caulk or silicone seal. Reinstall the screw. It always seemed work for me.
D.D.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use a dab of 4200--even consider 5200, if the door is in great shape, and you don't think you will have to remove the door. Also increases security to some extent.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
chucko

City/Region: Davidson
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1997
Vessel Name: Sea Angel
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave the toothpick trick and will see how it works, the other screws are not stripped, I just want them to stay tight.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course the other option is to through bolt them. If you use a locking cap head nut on the other side, it works out well.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, if the screw holes are enlarged, try all of the above. If that fails, fill the holes with JB Weld and redrill. JB Weld is an aluminum filled epoxy which is used to fix broken metal and glass-fibre parts and does it well.

However, if the screws just back out of the holes, you're talking to an expert in the use of Loctite. And I'm not being humble; used it since the '60s on desert bikes. If it can stop a British single from shaking apart, it'll hold anything.

A few comments. There's a trade name Loctite and there are thread locking solutions called thread lockers. Locktite is the only locking fluid that has worked for me. Every other locker is sold as "as good as" or "this is their new name." That's BS. Locktite 262 is the only good stuff. That's the red stuff and not the weaker blue locker. The red is used to give it a great grip but if you have to remove it, use a little heat and force.

I use Loctite wherever I can't use a locking nut and it works like a champ.

3M 5200, 4200 and 4000 will creep under load. Feel free to disagree with me, but I don't use those sealers to bond parts together or hold screws.

Boris
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the lower hinge screws on the door to my 22 come loose a couple of years ago. At first I figured I would just through-bolt them, but as it turns out it's not quite that simple as (at least on my 22) where the fasteners would come into the cabin would just happen to land on a totally un-flat molded/ridged area. So I would have had to do a fair bit of modding to make a place for the washers/nuts to land. Hence I decided to tackle it a different way.

What I did was to remove the hinge, and overdrill slightly (but not so much it would show beyond the hinge), dig a bit of core out, refill with neat then thickened epoxy, and then put the screw in while the epoxy was still soft (green stage). I may have waxed the screw for future removal, but I can't remember at the moment. Another way to remove (so I might have done this instead) is to just put the screw in to the green epoxy, and then if you need to remove it later on, just touch something like the tip of a soldering iron to the screw head -- the resulting heat with soften the epoxy enough so you can remove the screw. Thinking about it, I probably did the latter so as to give the screw the best grip.

I also bedded the hinge with a bit of butyl.

Has been sturdy ever since then.

Sunbeam

PS: The core wasn't wet at all, but just that balsa doesn't really give much grip to a pointy screw, and the hinges C-Dory used are kind of "cabinet hinges" that get some strain on them if you open the door fully. So between those two things, it wasn't surprising the screws let go.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advantage to through-bolting the hinges on both the door and cabin side of the hinges is that someone can't simply come along with a screw driver and back the screws out and enter your cabin, which they can do, if only pointed wood/sheet metal-multipurpose screws are used. (!)

Of course, you can't stop a determined thief with a crow bar, but .........!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point and I should have mentioned that, ultimately, I have some different hinges that I want to install (door hinges vs. cabinet style hinges). So my fix was something to get me through satisfactorily until such time as I do another/better improvement (which would include through-bolts on the new hinges).

Through bolting with the existing hinges was going to be enough of a pain (at least on my cabin, due to the irregular inside surface they would have landed on) that to me it made sense to wait on that until I do the later mod. Also, I was on my way to my maiden voyage trip, so wanted to do something reasonably expedient (yes, it's possible Wink ).

It also bears mentioning that I have the pre-full-glass style door (mine is made a Starboard like material with a half window). Looks like the full door has a completely different design with different hinges. I think that started around 2006 or 2007.
Bill K

City/Region: Toledo
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: NIC'L PIC'L
Photos: NIC'L PIC'L
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chucko,

Thank You for starting this thread.

It made me look at the bottom hinge screws today and yes they were loose.

Bill Kelleher

Steven Dore

City/Region: Ocean Marine - Portsmouth, VA
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Orca
Photos: Orca
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had a problem with the cabin door, but I had problems with the cabinet doors in the galley. After several repairs using wood inserts and different glues, I still had problems keeping the screws in the hinges, I finally through bolted them about four years ago and they have never given me any problems since.
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed my cabin door hinges were loose yesterday while locking up for a 5 days trip to town. I will address the problem when I return to the boat.
I went to thru bolting on my previous 22' but do not know if that is a viable option on this boat.
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:37 am    Post subject: cabin door hinges Reply with quote

Got to the door hinge bolting thing today.
I through bolted the one single hole on the hinge with a no. 6 bolt with a friction nut and washer. THe other two holes in the hinge I took out the screws and did the toothpick trick.
It is all nice and tight now.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: