View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: A C-Dory Who DunIt Story Reply with quote

A C-Dory Who DunIt Story

After Friday Harbor CBGT, I went out and wandered through the islands north and east, just cruising and looking for pictures. Yellow, Crane and Jones. Checking in there for space at the dock, and then out to Stuart Island where I tied at the Ried Harbor dock. Later that evening, a bigger than me, more modern 24+ foot pulled toward the dock. I offered to take a line, and after the dock lines were secured, one of the gentlemen came up and asked if that (indicating SleepyC) was my boat. “Good” he said, “We have a soft spot in our hearts for C-Dory’s.” So I said I’d bite, and asked for the rest of the story.

Seems these two boat together frequently and have been for several years. The story comes from a few years back, and I’m unsure of the exact year but maybe 4-6 years ago. (Don’t let the timing throw you.)

They had been on a mission to retrieve a picnic table from a little point on the east side of Whidbey Island, just east from Oak Harbor, and return it to Camano Island. They were in a maybe 16 foot boat with a fore deck where they were carrying the table. At some point in the crossing, and maybe a mile from the Whidbey shore, their boat swamped, maybe from a wake or load shift and filled with water, rolling completely over putting them both into the water. They did not get off a Mayday call, but did have a now waterlogged, inoperative cell phone. They were able to right the boat, ditch the table that continued to float next to them and were trying to dewater the boat rather unsuccessfully. Over the course of about 15 minutes, they were both cold, one being completely immersed during the rollover, the other dry from the waste up, a C-Dory pulled up and offered assistance. They were both taken onto the C-Dory, warmed and then the C-Dory and crew towed their boat and the table to Camano were they had been headed.

When I heard this story I was thinking it might have been the two folks that Starcraft Tom and Susan had rescued and reported but Tom assures me that this is not the same situation. Their instance was a male and female couple and their boat was still over turned when Tom came onto the scene.

When I was talking to Dan and Dave, they were very interested in finding, thanking and knowing who it was that rescued them and letting them know they are doing well, had gotten a bigger boat, and had learned many lessons since that time.

Now back to the title line, “Who DunIt?” Anyone here recognize enough of the story to make the connection? I may not have all the details right, and for the guys, it had been a time so they were not definite on some things too – the eye witness disparity syndrome maybe.

So, If you are, or know who this story fits, please let me know; here or PM and we can let these guy know the C-Dory group are capable and community responsible.

Thanks,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few over 24 hours and 250 and nobody knows who this rescue boat was or has heard this story. I promise, I did not make it up and the guys that were standing there on the dock were pretty convincing -- to me.

Maybe it was a non-participating C-Dory, with no contacts to anyone here?
Just wanting to pass on the good results.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: