The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

CD25 Center wiper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom on Icarus

City/Region: Campbell River, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tranquil~C
Photos: Tranquil~C
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: CD25 Center wiper Reply with quote

Hi Brats,
I know I have seen it here that someone has installed a center window wiper on their CD25 but I can't find the post or photos of the installation.
After another frustrating trip in light rain yesterday, I know I must install a wiper on the center windshield. Better visibility would make me feel a lot more comfortable.
I would love to get a reply from you brats who have done this installation.
Cheers,
Tom

beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to go the manual wiper route, this is what I installed in mine:

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/sea-dog-line-manual-windshield-wiper-412601-1

It was a 10 minute installation and has worked very well for the past two seasons. I'm average height and can reach the handle from the helm seat. It also allows the window to be opened fully. It can be "parked" off to the side so its not right in your line of sight.

You can see the wiper handle right next to the clock:

Rob
2008 25 Cruiser - Sold
2002 Nordic Tug 32/4 - Sold
1989 40 Tollycraft Sport Sedan
Tom on Icarus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Rob. I have definitely considered installing the manual wiper too and yours looks great...and easy. Good to know that the window still opens. I have seen somewhere here an electric one so if anyone chimes in with information on that installation I will then decide what is right for me. I could go either way at this time.

Does your fan keep the windshield defogged or is it just to move the air around in the boat? I am wanting a fan too.

Cheers,
Tom
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom on Icarus wrote:
Thanks for the reply Rob. I have definitely considered installing the manual wiper too and yours looks great...and easy. Good to know that the window still opens. I have seen somewhere here an electric one so if anyone chimes in with information on that installation I will then decide what is right for me. I could go either way at this time.

Does your fan keep the windshield defogged or is it just to move the air around in the boat? I am wanting a fan too.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom,

I can't help on the center window wiper but I added a couple of fans to my Tomcat to help keep the windows clear. They make a huge difference in all but the very worst conditions. I think mine are Camfro fans, Kona model. I have one on each side but both come on with the same switch on the dash. Each can be turned off or have the speed adjusted with a switch on the fan itself. I made a couple of oak blocks and routed off the bottom edges on all four sides. I glued those to the cabin roof with 4200 and screwed the fans into the blocks.

beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom on Icarus wrote:

Tom,

I initially installed it for both reasons. It definitely helped with the fogging....helped, not eliminated. Although, my boat came with the Kenyon Kiss stove, not a Wallas, so I had no heat. I've since installed a Webasto diesel heater in the boat and with that and the fan, I haven't had a fogged window since.

Since our summers seem to be getting hotter every year here (supposed to be 93 deg F this Sunday....in early June!), I've recently installed another matching fan on the port side. With both fans blowing on high and the center window open, it gets a lot of air moving.
Tom on Icarus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, Thanks for the fan info. I am going fan shopping too now.

Rob, All good info. I suppose I'll need a Webasto now too. Thanks again.

Tom
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed an electric wiper on my center window, works fine, window still opens. I believe I have a picture in my album. I had to create a "standoff" piece of wood on the inside because I could only get the long shaft wiper model, otherwise no problems.
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Tom on Icarus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve. I knew I had seen someone had done this but didn't know where to look. That is exactly what I had in mind.
Now if someone were to chime in with the correct model number of ATI wiper and shaft length I will have everything I need.

By the way, Steve, I like your overhead rod holders. Wish I could find those around here. Where did they come from? Maybe I could order some on line.

Cheers and thanks everyone for your replies.
Tom
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fans work. I have one in the center just above the center window. It rotates about 60 degrees and keeps the windows clear. I usually run with the center window open to the first lockable notch and that eliminates the need for the fan. Sometimes, given certain conditions, that window must be closed. then the fan is used if needed.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Tom on Icarus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harvey. I picked up one fan the other day and will probably get another if needed.

Just realized I mistyped ATI instead of AFI for the wiper in the post before. I think C.Dory uses AFI 1000 but not sure and I want the right one so the sweep angle is correct and the shaft length is right too. Hope somebody knows which it is.

Cheers, Tom
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original C-'Dory 25 wiper was an AFI 1000. When I had to replace it, it was very expensive, ~$165, I replaced it with a Schmitt Ongaro Waterproof Wiper Motor, P/N 33611. It has 2 speeds, twice the torque and a stainless output shaft all for $90. You need the 1 1/2" model. Both can be adjusted for sweep and parking.

Here's a detail discussion of the AFI 1000 and the Ongaro Waterproof Wiper Motor: C-Dory 25 Wipers. About 1/2 way down, I discusses the new wiper motor I put in. Earlier in the post, you can find out why you don't want the original wiper arms.

Boris
Tom on Icarus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Boris. I did read your post with photos about your replacement ordeal the other day and that prompted me to look into the center wiper setup. Very good step by step instructions. That is what makes this site so valuable. I'd be happy if the AFI 1000 was only $165 but up here (Canada) we are looking at over $200 and that is for the motor only. The pantographic arm will run another $100 plus.
I think the ideal setup would be electric wipers with the simple manual as backup.....because, as we all know, the wipers never fail on a day that you don't need them.
Cheers, Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: