The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

davit/hauler/puller install into step on CD22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: davit/hauler/puller install into step on CD22 Reply with quote

I am planning on upgrading my boat substantially to be a more efficient and effective harvester.

I'll document these updates as I do them over the course of a year or so in one thread, but I'm wondering about the installation of a davit just aft of the cabin. I'll likely have it starboard, which already has my stove pipe and VHF antenna, so I don't walk around that side to get to the bow.

I do not want to attach my davit to the deck. These take a lot of stress, and I don't want the hull compromised. I was thinking about mounting the bottom of the davit to the small step that is built into the side of the boat at this location. It seems like a good spot, and doesn't have to block the step entirely.

My questions are:

1. What's in there? Balsa? Air? Is the step itself cored?

2. Is this a good spot for this? Maybe there is a pitfall I'm not appreciating?

3. Has anyone used these steps to mount gear? How does it work?

If I don't do this I will glass an oak block to the deck and fasten to it.

Thanks in advance!
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: davit/hauler/puller install into step on CD22 Reply with quote

Kushtaka wrote:
I am planning on upgrading my boat substantially to be a more efficient and effective harvester.

I'll document these updates as I do them over the course of a year or so in one thread, but I'm wondering about the installation of a davit just aft of the cabin. I'll likely have it starboard, which already has my stove pipe and VHF antenna, so I don't walk around that side to get to the bow.

I do not want to attach my davit to the deck. These take a lot of stress, and I don't want the hull compromised. I was thinking about mounting the bottom of the davit to the small step that is built into the side of the boat at this location. It seems like a good spot, and doesn't have to block the step entirely.

My questions are:

1. What's in there? Balsa? Air? Is the step itself cored?

2. Is this a good spot for this? Maybe there is a pitfall I'm not appreciating?

3. Has anyone used these steps to mount gear? How does it work?

If I don't do this I will glass an oak block to the deck and fasten to it.

Thanks in advance!

AIR!!
2" holesaw.

[url][/url]
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its perfect timing that you ask the question. I just finished mounting an aluminum davit to our 22 to run a 4 hp Honda puller.

I originally had planned to do exactly as you did and use the step to mount the davit. The reasons why is because its flat, and the gunnel does not require spacing to mount the upper bracket, unlike further back in the cockpit.

When I mocked it up, this configuration wasn't going to work on our boat. The davit has to be able to turn in and lock for trailering or in tight marina situations. The aluminum davit I bought has a base intended to mount a gas motor. When the davit is turned in, the base hits the window. Also the pull start on the motor would be impossible to pull unless I was hanging off the side of the cabin to start it.

You may not be planning to use a gas motor, so those issues might not be a concern. The fabricated aluminum davit bracket for the floor also took up most of the usability of the step, and that was a concern for my wife.

In the end we mounted it to the starboard side towards the back, near our scotty downrigger mounts. I'm very happy with this location, and it is mostly out of the way back there.

I was concerned with mounting it to the floor as well so I did a lot of research on how to properly do it without compromising the balsa core. In the end I used two stainless lag bolts to mount the bracket. I used a small hole saw to drill the two holes and then cut some of the wood out to make a larger whole under the glass, to forma plug. I filled the plug hole with thickened epoxy, in two parts to prevent it from getting too hot. Drilled and tapped the holes for the bolts. I had to use a piece of starboard for the base, because the sole of the cockpit is not flat. I used a angle grinder and files to make a wedge out of that material to get the right angle. When I mounted it, I used 3M 5200 to seal everything up. For the gunnel bracket, I had to use two pieces of 3/4" starboard to get the clearance. I also used a thick aluminum plate behind the gunnel to help support and spread out the weight and forces from the davit.

I couldn't be more pleased with how it turned out. Its extremely solid and there's no evidence of flexing. For harvesting sea creatures, its been so nice and a huge upgrade from our Ace line hauler for pulling 400' strings shrimping. We'll keep the Ace for light crabbing while salmon fishing. That Davit will be in the way big time while fighting a fish.

Oh one last thing, The typical aluminum davit mounts have holes drilled for a pin in both the upper and lower mounts. The purpose of this is to drill the davit itself in two separate places for turning the davit inward. I drilled the upper one for extending the davit from the gunnel, and the lower one for turning it in, using the same pin for both. Good luck!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I might worry about the glassed in step, is that the step is tabbed in with one layer of mat or glass tape. Under high stress this could crack. Just keep an eye on it--it may be fine--depends on what type of job was done on the glassing.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info here as always!!

A couple other pieces of info from my side of things:

I'm going to have a very very good aluminum fabricator make the davit for me, with my boat in his shop. I want to pick the location to begin with, and then the davit will be made to fit the spot, and tuck out of the way, I'm thinking inboard, right above the roof line.

I'm planning on using an electric motor for no reason in particular, other than size and convenience. I would probably add extra battery capacity though. right now I just have one battery and it does everything.
tsturm

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kushtaka wrote:
Good info here as always!!

A couple other pieces of info from my side of things:

I'm going to have a very very good aluminum fabricator make the davit for me, with my boat in his shop. I want to pick the location to begin with, and then the davit will be made to fit the spot, and tuck out of the way, I'm thinking inboard, right above the roof line.

I'm planning on using an electric motor for no reason in particular, other than size and convenience. I would probably add extra battery capacity though. right now I just have one battery and it does everything.

This one can be pinned forward for storage & sheave bungeed to the rod holder/rocket launcher or pinned for use. In the above pict the upper mt. blurry left side is a R clip that retains the pin.

[url][/url]

Also makes it nice for bringing aboard the odd 200# Halibut!! Laughing
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, perhaps the best idea is to have the davit mount on an angle iron that sits flush on the step, or covers it completely, and holds the davit entirely fore of the step giving clearance, as well as the ability to hold on to the davit while boarding! Maybe dear old dad CAN get onto the dear old C-Dory and go fishing!
tsturm

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kushtaka wrote:
So, perhaps the best idea is to have the davit mount on an angle iron that sits flush on the step, or covers it completely, and holds the davit entirely fore of the step giving clearance, as well as the ability to hold on to the davit while boarding! Maybe dear old dad CAN get onto the dear old C-Dory and go fishing!

Or have Dad use the step on the other side?
Post picts when you have it complete.
Have a good one!!
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsturm wrote:

Or have Dad use the step on the other side?
Post picts when you have it complete.
Have a good one!!

Ha! I was actually thinking I could just snap him in and boom him aboard!
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Davit mount Reply with quote

I mounted my davit as did Tsturm on my 1983 22' CD. I used it to pull crab pots(4' diam.) and many big halibut up to 250lbs. The step mount was never a problem and was obviously strong enough. The puller was a 12v Power Winch electric cathead.
My davit could be pinned so it swung forward for travel. One time when taking it off the boat for the season I found a small bird head first downward and dead. He had the bad luck of going into the forward end of the davit while going down the highway on the trailer.
My son owns that boat now and uses the davit to pull shrimp pots in PWS. It has been on the boat for 32 yrs.
My father in law used to fish with me and he was always banging his bald head on my davit. It was lovingly referred to as that G-d D-m thing. He is fishing in the big fishing hole in the sky now but buried 3 miles off the 1st tower at Deep Creek in my GPS spot called "Grandpa's Hole".

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: