The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Finally a C-Brat
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathias999us

City/Region: Forest Lake
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Venture Bound
Photos: Venture Bound
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Finally a C-Brat Reply with quote

Woohoo! After years of looking into getting a C Dory, and trolling on this site, and after a 2600 mile round trip journey, the new-to-us 2009 Venture 26, now to be named Venture Bound, is safe in our driveway, and we are now officially C-Brats! Great community here, we're very happy to be a part of it.

Mathias and Tammy

[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By56QAIKY2v9a01PbnNXRkVKRkY4aC15c0V0dl9LbC1vcFh3/view?usp=sharing[/img]
mathias999us

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I need an album to share photos, as I think this site is filtering out URLs with unrecognized image extensions?

Anyway, that's a pic of my wife and I with the new boat in our driveway yesterday after towing it up north of Minneapolis from Texas.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Fine looking boat and happy looking C-Brats Very Happy What a great feeling to have her home in your driveway. Woo-hoo!

(Since you don't have an album yet, I went to your photo and saved it into my album so I could display it here. You can usually display photos that are on the web somewhere already by copying the image location over, but I couldn't get it to work with this photo, so I just saved it to my album. With your own album, that's a nice way to do it anyway, as then others can see your photos by going to your album here.)

Again, welcome!

(From a fellow Minnesotan, although I don't live there now. Driving through Forest Lake was always the sign that we were now up north (vs. still being in The Cities Very Happy)

Sunbeam Hot

PS: If you PM either DaNag or Tyboo to request an album, they'll get you set up.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Finally a C-Brat Reply with quote

mathias999us wrote:
Woohoo! After years of looking into getting a C Dory, and trolling on this site, and after a 2600 mile round trip journey, the new-to-us 2009 Venture 26, now to be named Venture Bound, is safe in our driveway, and we are now officially C-Brats! Great community here, we're very happy to be a part of it.

Mathias and Tammy

[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By56QAIKY2v9a01PbnNXRkVKRkY4aC15c0V0dl9LbC1vcFh3/view?usp=sharing[/img]

Mathias, Tammy: very nice boat! Welcome to the gang!

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a great boat and motor! Welcome aboard--you will love the boat!
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to both of you,wow that shows some desire to travel that far. Im glad my boat was only 2 hrs away,but I would also travel as far as needed.
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your new boat (to you), she's a beauty. Curious, is that the boat from Texas? If so, I've been eyeing that boat for awhile. Way to go.

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the "New-to-You" and the safe return home. Nice pix. Glad to have you here. You will love that boat and enjoy the C-BRATS. Welcome.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

rainger

City/Region: Victoria
State or Province: BC
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic welcome aboard.
Blue Rose

City/Region: Montgomery
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Blue Rose
Photos: Blue Rose
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on buying a great boat and getting it home safe! Now comes the fun part... go get it wet! Be ready to hear someone say "Hey, nice boat!" and want to start a conversation almost every time you stop at a gas station. You're really going to enjoy being part of the C-Brat family! Making new boating friends has been the best part for us so hope to meet you sometime. Be sure to check out the Mississippi River C-Brat gathering in September. We haven't decided if we are driving or boating down yet, but we are definitely planning on going.
mathias999us

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! This is a happy time for us. Smile

Sunbeam - thanks for the tip on the album. I'm trying to get one set up now. Yes, we moved to Minnesota from San Diego in 2006 for my job, and we chose the north side of the cities for exactly that reason - we're right on the edge of vacation/adventure country up here. We're taking this boat up to Voyageurs in June, can't wait.

Bob - thanks. I've got the DF9.9 arriving via fedex freight within the next 30 minutes. Will post some pics of that project.

Larry - yeah, it was quite a haul. There really weren't any local options though. Most of the C-Dory's I see are around the coast somwhere, and I'm about as far away from an ocean as it gets.

Jazzmaniac - yes, this is the boat that was listed in Kemah, TX. I had overlooked it for a while, but then they dropped the price and I jumped on it.

Blue Rose - thanks yeah, we've had it out a couple times already. First day after a good rest we took it out on Forest Lake which is about 3500 acres and just a few blocks from us. We took it there for a trial run because we are very familiar with that lake and its ramps. Everything went well, so yesterday we put it in at Stillwater on the St Croix River, and we went all the way down to the confluence of the Mississippi and then up the Mississippi a few miles, and then back. A little over 50 miles round trip. Everything went great, and the kids and little dogs had a blast. I will post some pics when I get the album set up.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathias999us wrote:
We're taking this boat up to Voyageurs in June, can't wait.

That should be a fantastic trip. I haven't quite decided where to head with the boat later this summer, but the two main contenders are Salish Sea (Washington/BC) and/or Voyageurs or Lake of the Woods. Like the old Boundary Waters days but in the lap of luxury!

I spent a year or so in San Diego (combination of a couple of different multi-month periods), and you are probably now discovering the reverse of what I found. Basically, in Minnesota, every conversation starts with a mention of the weather, and it's a fail-safe starter for casual encounters. Without realizing this (since it was just automatic), I started doing it in San Diego, which of course results in blank looks. I mean, yeah, it's sunny and 72º (and will be tomorrow, and the next day, and next week).... so? Mr. Green

I don't know how longer couple-week-treks fit into your life's schedule right now, but there is a really nifty C-Brat gathering every fall (late September) at Lake Powell. I really enjoy cruising there because it's so different from most places I have boated, and it takes such great advantage of the strengths of the C-Dory (easy beaching, go fast when you want to but putter slowly with ease, etc.). It's also an interesting combination of "way out there" hiking and camping, but yet there is a marina with ice, ice cream, and supplies every 50 miles or so. So kind of luxury/easy/wilderness. Plus of course generally sunny and dry.

Happy Cruising! Will be fun to see your album, once you get that going.
mathias999us

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam - yes, we can't wait to go to Voyageurs with our C Dory! We started going up there with canoes / kayaks a few years ago, but realized it's really a motor boat park. Then we took a small 14' aluminum fishing boat up there, and I nearly swamped it in some big waves. Two weeks later we bought a 23' Chris Craft cuddy cabin cruiser, and brought that right back up. We had many trips to Voyageurs with that boat, but the cuddy was really used as a large storage locker for all of our camping gear. NOW we can really sleep on the boat! Voyageurs is the perfect place to bring a C Dory.

It's so true about the weather out here. I went to Lake Powell a couple times as a child with my parents, and they rented a motor boat and we camped out on the lake somewhere. We've definitely been talking about bringing the C Dory down there - possibly next year. I have the type of job where I can work anywhere there is internet, although there won't be much/any cell service on Powell I believe. We homeschool our daughter, and our son is in college, so multi-week trips are definitely in the future for us.

We've had the boat out a few times now, once on the lake down the street from us for a trial run, and a couple times on the St. Croix river. The first time on the St. Croix we launched north of Stillwater, and went all the way down to the Mississippi and up the Mississippi a few miles and back. I believe it was a little over 50 miles round trip. The boat performed like a champ, not a single issue. TyBoo set me up with an album and I've added a few pics from our first outings with the boat:

The C Dory is AWESOME! Everything I had hoped it would be. Such a comfortable and pleasant experience out on the water with this boat.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathias999us wrote:
I went to Lake Powell a couple times as a child with my parents, and they rented a motor boat and we camped out on the lake somewhere. We've definitely been talking about bringing the C Dory down there - possibly next year. I have the type of job where I can work anywhere there is internet, although there won't be much/any cell service on Powell I believe.

Great to see the pics of your boat on MN waters Thumbs Up

Last fall I was solo on my Powell trip, so I "did" Internet more than I had in past trips. I found pretty decent Verizon service on the lake. It's quite predictable, too, because there is a big mountain (Navajo Mountain) and basically, if you can see the mountain, the cell tower can "see" you. Of course there are plenty of places you can't get Internet (or VHF reception); but there are also quite a few anchorages/spots where you can get very good Internet - enough that I think you could plan a trip around them if you wanted to (of course that one tower could malfunction, but with the speed of the C-Dory you could always head in if you had to).

Happy cruising! (And the new kicker looks great.)
mathias999us

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam - thanks for the info on the cell service. And also thanks for all the kind regards.

Mathias
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: