Slip Finder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Slip Finder Reply with quote

Got an e-mail for this app,really don't know anything about it,guess it tells you all transient slips available in area your in. You call ahead and slip is waiting for you. Don't know if its a pay app or not,any other ideas for finding slips for overnights. Im guessing if your using active captain just call close by marinas and ask?
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a chart plotter it can help. Might depend on what card you have. Mine came with a gold card, which contains more info than the silver or standard card. Not sure about slips but I know I can request location of closest fuel and it will find it. You can also hover the icon over a harbour and hit expand - it gives me a birds eye view and will show marina's which you can in turn expand to show a list of services. May not show if transient space is available that day but it will give you their phone number.

Most marina's also monitor VHF which may offer a better connection than a cell phone in some areas.

The app does sound good - except I'm still living in a bygone era and using a flip phone. Cool

The gps in my truck has a launch ramp finder which I have found useful.

Regards, Rob

Rcbeach

City/Region: Ocean Pines
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: DreamChaser
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familiar with the app you mentioned, however Waterway Guide has a free app to locate marinas 5, 10, 50, and 100 miles from your current position. Also you can search for marinas with the services you desire. In addition you can bring up a chart to show where the selected Marina is located. I use it on my iPhone. I don't know what other platforms it is compatible with. Waterway Guide also has other apps to help with your boating.
Larry Patrick

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob just finally upgraded from my flip phone about 2 months ago,my nephew got it for me. Samsung 5 galaxy I believe. Liking it ,also got an I-pad about a year ago. Im way behind on technology but slowly learing some. Rcbeach ,will add wateryway guide thanks.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Active captain gives you information about the marinas. I have found it to be quite good in the areas where I have used it. There are many more features to Active Captain.

Does the "slip finder" actually tell you how many slips and the size which is available for that night? I suspect that some marinas may pay a premium to be listed as they are in some guides.

I prefer Active Captain, currently over the guide books. Although some guide books may have marinas which are in out of the way places.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Larry Patrick

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the e-mail Slipfinder.com which had all their info about calling ahead and reserving,but then I deleted it. Found this url Signup.SlipFinder.com Wish I kept it,thought others would know more about it. Sounded like it was up and running,but not sure,there selling point was the call ahead reservations like calling ahead on the road for hotels before their booked,seemed reasonablely good idea.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,
I signed up for the App--asks for a lot of information--unusual for an App. Then I tried to find known Marinas--none of the ones I know of are listed. A marina has to sign up and then register what slips they have. For example there are no marinas which begin with "A". only 3 which begin with the letter "B" , 5 with the letter C. There is only one marina on the West Coast--in San Diego, one I have never heard of. Same for the Gulf Coast, one I have never heard of. Clunky to use.

Far easier to use Garmin Blue charts, with Active Captain, which has lots of marinas--including all of the ones I use. All you do, is click on the marina, then call them up on the i phone, by clicking the phone number. Call up and find if they have a slip.

Maybe this would work if you wanted the marinas they sign up--with no independent reviews (at least so far). I'll watch the app, but so far not for me.
Larry Patrick

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the research,sounds like its a good concept ,but also not for me. Hoped it was something new and a useful. Cant beat Active captain,for sure.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not used Active Captain. Is it an app for on the phone? I thought it was more like a down load to a plotter. Have never tried it but am currently looking for good apps for use on the boat.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Larry Patrick

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Others can give more information, but I have it on my I-Pad,it has quite a few functions,marinas,hazards navigation ect. I have not used it on my center console ,but will be using it on C-Dory.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Active Captain Big Bend Rally Reply with quote

Yes, Active Captain is both an I phone, I pad, android, Garmin Blue chart, computer (and a few I missed ) application. There are loads of features--many of which are in the future, and just being implemented now. E-boat cards, allow you to track where your friends are, if you wish. I believe that some chart plotters are not starting to incorporate the information. I use it on the i phone and i pad, mostly. But do some beta for some of the other applications.

Jeff and Karen (plus some other volunteers check every piece of information input. Thus they filter out any thing which does not make sense. It is also "self policing' In that if I see an error in a anchorage, I can comment on it--and then the "moderators" check it out.

This is allows boating information to be as up to date as possible. Probably the greatest use is on the Loop. But there is a large amount of information on Alaska--much of it from long time cruisers in that area. I have put in some information on Lake Powell, and a few of the other areas we use a c Brats.

Jeff and Karen Siegel live on board their Defever trawler, did the loop recently, and work full time plus on this project. They are brilliant software designers, as well as great salesmen, and very proficient boaters.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MXMariner app for android will display the Active Captain markers on the NOAA charts. You can download both the NOAA charts (by region) and the Active Captain info so it can be used when offline.

IMO the current Active Captain maps are not very good and are not nautical charts (in the app version).
KCooper

City/Region: Garden City
State or Province: NY
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: SlipFinder Reply with quote

I just wanted to reply to explain what SlipFinder is all about. SlipFinder is focusing on Same Day Reservations with the option to book for more than one day.

You can set up a profile based on your boats dimensions, then look for available Slips or moorings available. You will only see slips that you can fit into. When you click on them to book them, its an instant transaction.

We are new this season and only have 90 plus marinas on board so far, so there may be no marinas in your area yet. So if you are interested in booking slips or moorings instantly from your phone or tablet its for you. If you are booking reservations weeks in advance, there are other services for that.

Thank you!

Keith Cooper
SlipFinder
www.slipfinder.com
keith@slipfinder.com
Dockwa

City/Region: Newport
State or Province: RI
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dockwa is a mobile app that allows boaters to search, reserve and pay for dock and mooring reservations. You can search for marinas based on your location or by specific region, and instantly request a reservation. Book same-day reservations, or reservations in advance and take off stress-free.

Launched last month, Dockwa is currently focused on New England boaters but we will be aggressively expanding into new markets throughout the summer.

To learn more and download the app visit www.dockwa.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: