The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Kicker for a CD16 Angler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmb

City/Region: Livermore
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Kicker for a CD16 Angler Reply with quote

So I recently purchased a CD16 Angler, which has a 50hp honda and a 6hp Nissan Sail Pro long shaft, mounted directly to the transom. The Sail Pro vibrates like heck at almost all (reasonable trolling) speeds, and it makes the steering linkage(looks like a panther) chatter as well.

I'm trying to figure out my options for reducing the vibration and have come up with the following:

1. Panther/Garelick Bracket/Mini Jacker - mounting the kicker on a bracket of some sort should help the vibration a bit, especially with some sort of buffering.
Anyone with a 16 use a kicker bracket, and does it seem to help?
I'm a bit concerned about the steering linkage there will rub or not work with the main. Also, are you able to get the kicker out of the water? with the current placement, the kicker drags and sprays when tilted up, so I just keep it down.
2. Replace with a 2cyl 4 stroke - I need the 4 stroke to be tahoe and some local lakes legal. I've seen that there are a few 2 cylinder options available, including the yamaha 8hp, that should reduce vibration significantly. Of course there will be a big increase in cost with that. I'm also concerned about the extra 20lbs or so of weight on the stern, the boat is already a little stern heavy as it is.
3. Replace with a yamaha F6 - been hard to find reviews on this, but seems like this newer F6 has less vibration.
4. keep everything as is, and add on a bow-mounted minn kota ulterra trolling motor - This is my preferred option now, as I spent a lot of time trolling with my electrics on my previous boat, going slow for kokanee and trout. I'd have to cut out a portion of my bow rails, and add 2 series 27/29 batteries, so it would be similar to the cost of the 8hp 2 cylinder. I don't want to climb up on the bow so I'd be using the new ulterra models - does anyone have an ulterra on a c-dory? I'd be adding weight, but would place batteries in the v-berth on the port side, so it might actually reduce some of my stern listing, as well balance my weight out when i fish solo, of course battery placement would have to be figured out over time.

Any ideas?
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on the vibration, but, if you do consider a trade, look at the Tohatsu 3.5 hp. It's a 4 stroke, just 41 lbs, has an internal gas tank and will push your boat at displacement speed.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmb, I have a 16' Thundercraft with a 4.5hp Merc extra long shaft mounted on the transom. It is a single cyl. but I don't find it vibrates too excessively. I used the screw in clamps on a homemade mount as well as through bolting it lower down. Is yours securely tightened? The main on the same boat is an older 50 Merc. The rubber motor mounts went on it years ago causing it to vibrate. After replacing them it was fine. If your Nissan is an older motor you might check the mounts. They may be obsolete if it is more than 15 years old. The mechanic had to reinvent one for mine.

I also have a Minnkota bow mount remote on it. I use it for trolling around shorelines, etc. but the one pita I find with it is - if you are trying to go from point A to point B in a straight line - you are constantly steering. The last time I had to do that I sat up in the bow(its a bow rider) and steered it manually to save wasting battery power steering back and forth. With the flat stern of the Cdory I think you might have the same trouble. I tried leaving my main down(helm dead ahead) to act as a rudder but it didn't seem to help too much. If you want to go electric, I would consider a stern mount - cheaper and easier to install - plus I think it would be easier to steer - pushing the flat stern of the Cdory as opposed to pulling the bow.

Regards, Rob

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: