The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Kicker Installation on 26 Venture
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathias999us

City/Region: Forest Lake
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Venture Bound
Photos: Venture Bound
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob - that's a good point, I know what you mean about the hose-ends only opening when they are connected. Maybe I could just carry an extra hose with the inline ball, and no fitting on the "out" end specifically for filling the generator. Then I could just pop it onto the quick-fitting on out port #2 on the fuel filter.

dmengland - sure, I'd be happy to show it to you, provided it turns out well Smile
mathias999us

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kicker is installed:

Well, we got the boat, and the first morning after we got it home, I ordered the Suzuki DF9.9BTHX, fuel injected, high thrust, power tilt, electric start, tiller. I ordered it from onlineoutboards and it arrived at my doorstep in exactly 2 days from when I placed the order - outstanding. The new motor was in great condition, and my son and I lifted it up into a trial position, and I found a location where I could mount it on the transom without a bracket. With the highest tilt stop setting, the motor is just about exactly vertical when all the way down, and it clears aft of the trim tab by about an inch. When the trim tab is all the way up, it is about 1mm under the anti ventilation plate on the kicker. I also installed a the removable steering link bar. No bends were necessary, and there were very good mount points available for the ball fittings on each motor. I also through-bolted the kicker, and sealed the core in the holes I drilled with epoxy.

The electric is wired into the system right where the main motor's connections are. For fuel, this boat already had a sierra water separating fuel filter inside the starboard lazarette. I bought some new fuel line, a new squeze bulb, a new quick-fitting for the motor connection, and the brass fittings and shutoff valve. I installed this into the unused "out" port on the fuel filter, and ran it through the same passages as the fuel lines for the main, along the motor well, and over to the kicker. Now, I have a quick disconnect right at the motor, and I have the original fuel line and 3gal gas tank that came with the motor. I can easily swap the kicker to use the portable tank or the main tanks in the boat.

We had it out on the river yesterday and I started the break-in procedure, and I'm about 3 hours into it, out of 10. So, I haven't had it up to full throttle yet, but ran it for a couple hours at 3/4 throttle, and it easily pushes this boat 6-7kt. Full throttle should give a little more, which is really max displacement speed for this size of a boat. It's really the perfect match for the boat, and it the kicker looks quite nice sitting next to its matching bigger brother DF175. I'm quite happy with how this project turned out.

So, with this setup I can run the kicker from the cockpit using the tiller, but I can also steer from the helm, or use my autopilot to steer the kicker. And it's so nice that this motor has electric AND pull start. It has "batteryless" EFI, and a small alternator. So, if I ran the batteries dead accidentally, I can still fire up the kicker, which will start charging the batteries, and eventually be able to start the main. So nice.

Thanks for all your input guys. I posted a bunch of pics of the install in my album in the "Kicker Installation" sub album.

Mathias
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, and nice job on the install!
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
dmengland

City/Region: Pigeon Falls
State or Province: WI
Vessel Name: SheSayNo
Photos: SheSayNo
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to come and see that kicker! Looks great. Doug
mathias999us

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Doug, I'd be happy to show it to you, just let me know. Mathias
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

Is the kicker clamped or bolted on?

mathias999us

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brent. This kicker is both clamped and bolted. I used the regular clamps, and then also through-bolted it, as per the Suzuki installation instructions that came with it.

Mathias
mathias999us

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic where you can see the port through-transom bolt head for the mount:
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
Easyvictor.14

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Easy Victor
Photos: Easy Victor
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mathias,
I have almost the same set up on my 23 Venture, 150 Suzuki main and 9.9 Suzuki kicker. Mine is plumbed to the fuel filter also and has the steering quick connect and I also have autopilot. Should be a great system!
I'm in Texas, so I have the A/C on the roof and a Honda 2000 in the splash well on a mounting pad built by Wefings. Fueled by either a line from the fuel filter or from a separate tank with the fuel cap mod. Underway, you can't even tell the Honda is running if you shut the door.
Enjoy!!

1981 T Craft 26 center console
1981 Silverton 34
1979 Chapparal 187
Many, many other small aluminum, wood and fiberglass toys!!!
mathias999us

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Easyvictor,

Good to know on the honda generator being able to draw from the main tanks. I wasn't sure if perhaps they were too far beneath the generator. I guess the setup might be slightly different on the 23 vs the 26.

We haven't decided on the AC system yet. There isn't one in the boat yet, but we've considered either a roof mount unit or the water cooled unit in the cabin. Both have a drawback for us though - I intend to get a dinghy to keep on the roof eventually (along with radar), but I think a roof mount would be a pain. Even if the dinghy could fit over the unit, you'd at least need to take the dinghy off whenever using AC. On the other hand, a water cooled AC would solve this problem, but then we wouldn't be able to use it on the trailer in a campground, which we'd like to be able to do. Hmmm....

Mathias
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a 25, so similar. We used a "hi thrust" 9.9 Tohatsu. It's the same engine but with a four blade, "hi thrust" prop which I just bought and swapped out. Pushes the boat enough for our uses; limited trolling and a get safe engine should the main die. I also ran it off the main tank; just another line off the one filter/water separator. We do not have the ability to control rpm's from the helm, but we use a tie rod to control steering via the main.

My one regret is I used a pre-made mount (Mini-Jacker) to raise the kicker and move it to stern to clear the starboard trim tab. If I had to do it again, I'd have one custom made to move the engine back another few inches; it clears the tab by a mere 1" now.

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
My one regret is I used a pre-made mount (Mini-Jacker) to raise the kicker and move it to stern to clear the starboard trim tab. If I had to do it again, I'd have one custom made to move the engine back another few inches; it clears the tab by a mere 1" now.

When I switched from a Honda 8 to a Merc 5 (much smaller engine beyond just the 3 hp difference) the leg didn't clear my trim tabs as it did with the Honda. I also have a Mini Jacker mount. I considered a couple of options, one was to re-mount the Mini Jacker with a spacer between the mounting flanges and the transom, but I ended up with a simpler way, which is that I was able to use some fiberglass board at the point where the engine clamps to the Mini Jacker to move the engine back around 3/4" or so, which did the trick.

The latter may not be desirable or workable on a larger engine (or you may not be looking to change anything anyway), but figured I'd mention it.
roydawn

City/Region: No Fort Myers
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do U all think a high thrust 9.9 is really needed on a 25? I want to put a reg 9.9 or an 8 on, so I can also use it with a small light 14' skiff. Used to push/tow our 42' Grand Banks with an 8 hp Merc on an 10' 6" dingy. Didn't move fast but it worked & that boat was 22 TONS! Roy
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good, simple idea. When we first had the engine mounted it cleared the tab, until the engine was engaged and under torque. That pushed it forward and it vibrated against the tab something awful. Sounded like the entire boat would vibrate apart. I just adjusted it back one trim hole; problem solved.

As to the HT being needed, I used the standard 3 blade prop first. On the Tohatsu, the entire engine is the same; only the prop is different. It worked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: