The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

SleepyC on a SE Vancouver Island introduction.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:59 am    Post subject: SleepyC on a SE Vancouver Island introduction. Reply with quote

Since I grew up on Vancouver Island, one of my memories from there is rowing my 8ft plywood dingy up and down the rows of boats, reading all the names and planning two things for my future: one was to have a boat with a name, and two was to be able to go around the big islands. Well, now it’s happening, one step at a time. SleepyC is going around some islands, one or two at a time.

Crossing the Strait of Juan de Fuca is always a cause for careful planning and consideration of weather and tide conditions. Generally an early morning crossing north bound from Sequim is the most consistently reliable for planning. To facilitate a before sunrise exit from Sequim Bay I launched at John Wayne on Friday afternoon, and stayed at the Sequim Bay State Park for the night with a 0430 wakeup call planned. The sky was not showing any light yet, but by the time I was up and tidy, I could see the faint light line above the trees on the eastern horizon. Off and running, everything smooth, I cleared the Sequim Bay outer marker at 0515 and was crossing the line between Protection Island and the Dungeness Lighthouse at sunup time. Conditions were mild, light breeze and mostly tidal ripples. No major traffic showing on the AIS and Seattle Traffic was pretty quiet.

Wanting to make Friday Harbor by 0900 I was planning to clear Cattle Pass at close to slack, and it was an easy pass. FH marina allowed me a 4 hour complementary tie up, so I could call and get a ride to church, have a break and pick up lunch and then off to Jones Island for the night. Jones dock was nearly full but there is (almost) always room for a C-Dory, eh? Yup. With the right timing and a small enough boat I was able to get in where someone else had been blocking the ranger dock and still leave space for the government boat.

Another early morning, up and off the dock, and a slow cruise looking for photo opportunities and heading to Roche harbor for a fuel top off before crossing into Canada. I also had some grapefruit to eat before customs check in. Fuel at Roche is really nice, and still surprisingly under $4. They have a ball cock on the fill handle that allows one to slow the flow to a dribble, or gush like Old Faithfull, which is what happens with the C-Dory if you pull that handle all the way up.

Crossing to Sidney I wandered south down Harro Strait, and was rewarded with some Orca watch time, then across through the chain of islands and into Sidney By The Sea through their Port of Sidney. Customs dock was empty, check in was quick and easy and they keep good records and have good eyes.

Working my way from Sidney, up through the small islands between Coal, Knapp and Piers Islands, heading around the northern tip of the Sannich Peninsula and up the west side of Salt Spring Island. Going through this area, I remember spending many days on the water in that little dingy, going all around these islands and poking into every little nook and cranny, cave and pothole.

Turning northward around the southern side of Salt Spring, and up into Sansum Narrows, it was obvious I was getting a good ride on the tidal current. I have 9.5 knots over the ground (SOG) and a water speed of 5.6 knots. Nice; getting a ride from Mother Nature. Originally I had planned on staying at Sidney, then with good tides and weather, I decided to head north to a final destination of Ladysmith. Knowing I wouldn’t make it all that day I started looking for a good alternate. Maple Bay Marina showed up on the radar. A call, a slip assignment, and a confirmation from a friend that we could meet there works. Maple Bay turns into a fairly large area and there are multiple marinas (3 at least) there, with a very active sea plane dock. Sandy met me there and we drove into Duncan for dinner at the DogHouse, Family restaurant, which was recommended by both some of the locals and my sister who checked the AAA Travel Book. It was worth the drive. Sandy was looking for a C-Dory and had not had a chance to get a ride so we had that planned for the next day.

The next morning we met after breakfast and made a return trip to Sidney, back through Sansum Narrows and past the ferry terminal on the north peninsula. Back at Sidney, we check in at the Port, (no free tie here, even for short time), then walked up to the Boaters Exchange, where there is almost anything for a boat – all you have to do is find what you are looking for, and then a walk up Beacon Ave Fifth and right to Fish on Fifth for the worlds famous fish and chips dinner I had been looking forward to sicnce the C-Dorys were there in 2012. Speaking with the owner, he remembered us (C-BRATS) being there then. So did the young man who’s responsible for cooking those fish and fries to perfection. Worth the trip, for sure. Leaving Sidney in mid-afternoon we missed the excitement in Maple Bay.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/float-plane-flips-at-maple-bay-pilot-escapes-unharmed-1.1828965

By the time we were back the plane was towed, still upside down, to another dock and when we came into the slip, I missed seeing the overturned pontoons of the Cessna. It was good to learn that the pilot escaped injury.

The following day we elected to move north to Chemainus. I took the boat and she drove her camper and we met again at the thriving metropolis of Chemainus, spelled just like it sounds. George and Carolyn were meeting us in the afternoon. We did a short cruise out to Thetis Island and Telegraph Cove, looking at the Cut between Thetus and Penelakut, (a totally native First Nations People) island now. We did circumnavigate the combined islands and then early afternoon the winds are increasing, and waves up to 2 ft and 30% whitecaps, we are heading back to Chemainus port to meet George and Carolyn. On the way back, we noticed 2 kayakers, and with the current conditions, I felt it prudent to check with them to be sure they were OK. They confirmed they were, and they were skirted and adequately outfitted, so we continued into the port. Walking up the street from the dock we passed a very interesting, and eventually confirmed, very good, bakery and a place called Barnacle Barney’s. Turns out it was pretty good fish and chips too. Found a place for a Chinese meal that suited everyone’s fancy and we had a very enjoyable visit.

At the Chemanius dock that day, as I was walking from the boat I noticed the world was sliding off to the right……huh, what? Yup it was a BIG, HUGE Freighter, with a blue hull that seemed miles long and mountains high from my 22 foot perspective. The Star Evviva, a Norwegian lumber ship, about 600 feet long and about 25K tons was sliding by the dock about 30-40 feet out from where I had just been tied. It came in and very slow and tied, and started loading lumber. Every time those huge gantry cranes moved the alarm beeping was steady, for the next nearly 40 hours, or realistically the next 2 nights. The gantry cranes and the hysters, beep beep beep, beep beep beep, beep beep beep, beep beep beep, and then some. Good thing I sleep with a CPAP, I didn’t hear a thing after I turned that on. The Star Evviva snuck out early the second morning.

Since there were so many islands around, it was time to go do more check ride on the C-Dory. The tide was up enough to make it through the cut so off we went to Telegraph Harbor. The entrance pole to the cut shows we have 5 feet going through so we should have plenty of clearance. Nice to have that as we head in. All is going well until we come to a large, maybe 4 acre, lagoon. Water is clear and we can see bottom. There is a sand mound to the right, and one to the left. A Canadian Goose is standing halfway between the sand islands and the largest part of the lagoon is off to starboard. Hummmmm, which way. There is 5 feet under us, and to right or left it gets shallow (1-2 feet ) very quick. OK, fun. I opt to move forward in reverse. Spinning 180 degrees, with Sandy on the stern, and the sounder there too, I’ll back my way through. She can see bottom and I have the sounder. Pulled the OB’s up to just below the surface and proceeded towards the Honker in reverse. Barely getting started in this mode and a gentleman in a 14ft aluminum boat comes up alongside, and asks if we want to follow him through. Since he is going that way, why not? Sure. Rotate and off we go. As we get to the opening in the east end of the cut, there are daymark poles extending out another half mile. He says to stay to the right, and then he is off and gone back where we came from, and we are off to continue the circumnavigation. I never did figure what that Honker was standing on.

Between the north ends of Galiano and Salt Spring in Trincomali Channel is a little skinny island in a chain of other little skinny islands called, Wallace Island. It is a BC park and has an interesting history, including a book about the island history. (Once Upon an Island by David Conover.) Conover Cove in the western side, near the southern end, is a perfect little bay, guarded by a very aggressive, (read proud papa) Canada Goose and a perfect stay for a C-Dory and a few other boats. There are several nice hikes around the island, including a short one up to the “Mess Hall”. This is a historical building with a whole different history. There are hundreds of pieces of “drift” wood, some painted, some carved, some all natural, with boat names and dates from those who have passed through on their way to N, S, E, & W. Sandy knew from Martin and Andrea, that there were some C-Brat boat names in there. She found it. From 2013,
Nomad
Rock-C
In Cahoots
Blue Skies
Sea Sprite
Kerri On
C-Cakes
Two Bears
and now, SleepyC 4/22/15

There were some others too, but this one had room for one more name and it was a C-Brats plaque.

I spent a night there later, and enjoyed not having any raccoons on my boat. There was lots of room so I corner tied, to make their egress less easy. It must have worked.

As matters of boats, tow vehicles and business, Sandy had to leave for the mainland, and so after another fish and chips dinner, she was off to Naniamo, and I returned to Conover Cove from Chemanius. I kind of missed the breakfast at the bakery. Oh WOW they make good stuff --- everything was tempting, and everything I tried was perfect. Jamie gave excellent service and Steve’s very early mornings were certainly productive. What a team.

Leaving Conover Cove on Wallace early, put me south bound through Trincomali riding with the tide again, and headed into the harbor at Ganges. I found an excellent photo chance at the harbor entrance, a crab boat, with a flock of gulls circling, in the sun spotlight, and the clouds around are dark and ominous. Worked great. The gas dock at Ganges is a BoatUS station, and the operator was very congenial. After fueling, I walked the boat forward a ways and then, with his blessing, went up into town to find a bakery and fish and chips. Well, not so much joy. No place walkable that anyone would recommend for the F&C, and the bakery was OK, but not close to the Chemainus level. I waited, hoping the wind would lay down, and finally, seeing some other boats coming into the harbor, contacted a couple and confirmed with them that once I cleared the harbor and Beaver Point, The wind would be quiet, so off I headed toward Sidney and Fish on Fifth …. Yes again. Had to. It’ll be a while before I can get back.

Sidney for the night; off on H dock, almost all by myself, where it was quiet and dark enough to sleep, and shared with a Great Blue Heron that stood on the edge of the dock as I walked slow and stealthily by. The assigned dock would have been great but there was a sailboat sticking halfway across the fairway, and with the wind, it was too close for comfort(mine) to get around that corner and past the sb with enough room to spare (my gel coat). The halibut derby in the morning had the docks pretty busy with fishermen getting ready for a 0400 start. Across the dock from me there was a beautiful classic Chris Craft, 35 ft, and lots and lots of very pretty WOOD. It is really pretty on somebody else’s boat, Pearl, from Port Angeles, and another one down the way from Sequim, and there was another boat, Tatosh, from Sequim there. Turns out there were several boats from PAYC staying for the night. All participating in a predicted log race event on Saturday morning and then staying in Victoria over Sat night and then off to home on Sunday AM.

Early Saturday, under a light haze and no breeze, SleepyC cleared the Sidney dock, and headed east towards Harro, past Sidney Spit and past several boats who were looking for the biggest halibut of the day. Checking with the AIS and listening to Victoria Traffic there is a train of commercial shipping vessels, cargo, lumber, a tanker and more, all lined up from almost a dead on meet, to clear up past Turn Point. Using the CPA and TCPA features on the AIS, it was pretty easy to figure and adjust my speed and headings to find the biggest gap, and cross the very active shipping lane with the maximum clearance between my little boat and the 1000 ft (+/-) ships.

Although not an active participant in the Vessel Traffic Service, I monitor it regularly, where ever I am. In the BC waters, it is incredible how active Victoria Traffic was. There are ferries making 15 minute runs, from small islands like Thetus and Penelakut, to the big super ferries running between Tswassan, Nanaimo, and Sidney at 20+ knots and the radar does not see around the islands past the curving passes so the AIS and Traffic Service are worthwhile adjuncts. I have found both Canadian and US traffic services helpful in many situations. Interestingly, Victoria Traffic monitors Class B AIS, where Seattle does not; however, in checking with Seattle, they do have a way, because in both services, I have been asked to verify my MMSI# and location. For a single hander, I find that somewhat comforting at times and do appreciate their very professional services.

Clearing Customs in Roche Harbor and topping off the fuel I wondered up toward NW Waldron Island and then around towards Prevost Harbor on Stuart Island, looking for some marine wildlife, making Turn Point from the opposite direction this time I headed into Reid harbor for the night. Turns out I picked the Dock of Tugs this time… Again, the smallest boat on the dock. I pulled in behind a nice new Ranger 29, which was behind an American 35ish, and I bit later a Nordic 44 pulled in around the end of the dock to the shore side. They were traveling with a pair of Krogans, and another 50+ headed on their way to Alaska. Still…, the smallest boat on the dock.

The Rooster crowed at 0430; I was off the dock by 05 and at Cattle Point/Pass by 0645. Checking VHF marine weather on the way to CP, it looks like a go, Winds are 5-10 between Smith Island, and Race Rocks, Waves 1-2 and barometer readings at both ends of the Strait are almost even, (within 1 point difference), east to west. Visual confirmation from a coast Pilot between Sequim and Port Angels are consistent with the auto observations from 06. Cattle Pass is cleared at almost slack tide, and the crossing is on. At 9-10 knots, on auto pilot, we, (SleepyC and I), are making our way through the 1-2. Some of them are bigger than 2 and it got so I had to pick my waves so the AP goes off and I’m steering with the big wheel, ( A reference to my auto pilot steering wheel which is about an inch in diameter and in use frequently.) and adjusting speed accordingly. Now it’s a boat ride. Sure glad I can trust my C-Dory to take the waves and the salt spray. After several crossings, I have decided I would rather have beam seas on the starboard bow than on the port. Easier to see, track and adjust from sitting at the helm, where it is good to be, if you need to adjust power and steerage. Crossing solo in this kind of weather, I have check in with Seattle Traffic, advising them of position, heading and speed with an ETA for Sequim Bay. They will usually ask me to confirm position somewhere along the way, CA buoy, or at the traffic lanes; today it is at the buoy, and then on that call, to check in again at the inbound lane. It’s nice to know they are there. AIS shows traffic at Port Angeles and Marrowstone Point and a pleasure boat headed from Victoria and a 40 ft sailboat out of Harro Strait. Crossing the line between the Dungeness Lighthouse and Protection Island, the port beam seas drop from 2-3 to 1 ft. I run the trim tabs down 60% and push the twin throttles forward to 4200, the ride smooths, and the spray goes out to both sides now. Approaching the Sequim Bay outer marker, I make my phone calls to confirm a safe passage across, and that I’ll be on the dock in 20 minutes. Seattle Traffic requested a call when I was secured at the dock, and the call was made, then the electronics are shut down, the engines turned off, and the boat loaded onto the trailer. A good shower and bath for SleepyC to get rid of the salt off the top of the cabin and out of the cockpit, clean and dry and into the barn and the fish and chips from Fish on Fifth is back on the planning stage for the next trip.

Time to work on the planning.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thoroughly enjoyed your write-up. It was informative and very well written. ..and you can never have too much fish and chips. Thanks Harvey!

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write-up Harvey. Caryn and I love the Gulf Islands. I hope to have time to explore that area this summer around the time of the Ladysmith gathering. Thanks for sharing.

Peter
Bluechablis

City/Region: Redondo Beach
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Far C'r
Photos: Far C'r
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great log and adventure, aren't boats great!

Far C'r - 2001 Cdory 22
Bluechablis - 1992 NorSea 27
Quarter Note - 1972 Cris Craft Sloop
Palantir - 1971 31 Mariner Ketch (Far Seer in Elvish)
Aphrodite - 42 Ft Schooner Jay Benford Design
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: SleepyC on a SE Vancouver Island introduction. Reply with quote

Great to read your trip report. Although there was a lot of good stuff in it, this just set the tone for me and "put me right there":
hardee wrote:
The sky was not showing any light yet, but by the time I was up and tidy, I could see the faint light line above the trees on the eastern horizon.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great write up Harvey. Do you type at warp speed 3 ? Or shut yourself in your office for a couple of days ? See you soon at Friday Harbor. We have lots to catch up on.

Martin.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Twas a good read Harvey. Thanks for sharing.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great trip Harvey! It was good to visit with you and Sandy, fun and games thru the Cut huh? !
Glad you missed the big winds
George
bridma

City/Region: Comox
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really enjoyed the read Harvey. Sandy said she had a great adventure with you and you were very generous with your time.
One question. You fuelled up at Roche after leaving FH. Is the gas that much better at Roche?

Cheers,
Martin.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you and excellent article.

any chance to see some pics ? LOL

Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the memories Harvey. Loved every minute of it.

Merv & Kathy

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the nice comments Embarassed

It was too nice a trip not to share.

Martin, the reason for the Roche Harbor top off was mainly it was the closest to Canadian waters, and I wanted to check the Customs office, position and hours. I was planning on swinging down the west side of San Juan Island because I heard there was a possibility of some "Wildlife Watching Opportunity". That turned out to be true.

The market at Roche Harbor has always had a Dave's Killer Bread product (a fruit bread log), I was really looking forward to. It was not there, and after some checking, we found that it is now a discontinued product from DKB bakery. Twisted Evil Cry It was SOOOOOOO GOOD. (Like a cinnamon roll made with plum, date and cherry and a foot long.)

It was a great time, and I am really looking forward to doing it again.

Brent, (and others) Yes, I will be working on some pix.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Ross

City/Region: Campbell river
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: SleepyC on a SE Vancouver Island introduction. Reply with quote

hardee wrote:

Since I grew up on Vancouver Island, one of my memories from there is rowing my 8ft plywood dingy up and down the rows of boats, reading all the names and planning two things for my future: one was to have a boat with a name, and two was to be able to go around the big islands. Well, now it’s happening, one step at a time. SleepyC is going around some islands, one or two at a time.

Crossing the Strait of Juan de Fuca is always a cause for careful planning and consideration of weather and tide conditions. Generally an early morning crossing north bound from Sequim is the most consistently reliable for planning. To facilitate a before sunrise exit from Sequim Bay I launched at John Wayne on Friday afternoon, and stayed at the Sequim Bay State Park for the night with a 0430 wakeup call planned. The sky was not showing any light yet, but by the time I was up and tidy, I could see the faint light line above the trees on the eastern horizon. Off and running, everything smooth, I cleared the Sequim Bay outer marker at 0515 and was crossing the line between Protection Island and the Dungeness Lighthouse at sunup time. Conditions were mild, light breeze and mostly tidal ripples. No major traffic showing on the AIS and Seattle Traffic was pretty quiet.

Wanting to make Friday Harbor by 0900 I was planning to clear Cattle Pass at close to slack, and it was an easy pass. FH marina allowed me a 4 hour complementary tie up, so I could call and get a ride to church, have a break and pick up lunch and then off to Jones Island for the night. Jones dock was nearly full but there is (almost) always room for a C-Dory, eh? Yup. With the right timing and a small enough boat I was able to get in where someone else had been blocking the ranger dock and still leave space for the government boat.

Another early morning, up and off the dock, and a slow cruise looking for photo opportunities and heading to Roche harbor for a fuel top off before crossing into Canada. I also had some grapefruit to eat before customs check in. Fuel at Roche is really nice, and still surprisingly under $4. They have a ball cock on the fill handle that allows one to slow the flow to a dribble, or gush like Old Faithfull, which is what happens with the C-Dory if you pull that handle all the way up.

Crossing to Sidney I wandered south down Harro Strait, and was rewarded with some Orca watch time, then across through the chain of islands and into Sidney By The Sea through their Port of Sidney. Customs dock was empty, check in was quick and easy and they keep good records and have good eyes.

Working my way from Sidney, up through the small islands between Coal, Knapp and Piers Islands, heading around the northern tip of the Sannich Peninsula and up the west side of Salt Spring Island. Going through this area, I remember spending many days on the water in that little dingy, going all around these islands and poking into every little nook and cranny, cave and pothole.

Turning northward around the southern side of Salt Spring, and up into Sansum Narrows, it was obvious I was getting a good ride on the tidal current. I have 9.5 knots over the ground (SOG) and a water speed of 5.6 knots. Nice; getting a ride from Mother Nature. Originally I had planned on staying at Sidney, then with good tides and weather, I decided to head north to a final destination of Ladysmith. Knowing I wouldn’t make it all that day I started looking for a good alternate. Maple Bay Marina showed up on the radar. A call, a slip assignment, and a confirmation from a friend that we could meet there works. Maple Bay turns into a fairly large area and there are multiple marinas (3 at least) there, with a very active sea plane dock. Sandy met me there and we drove into Duncan for dinner at the DogHouse, Family restaurant, which was recommended by both some of the locals and my sister who checked the AAA Travel Book. It was worth the drive. Sandy was looking for a C-Dory and had not had a chance to get a ride so we had that planned for the next day.

The next morning we met after breakfast and made a return trip to Sidney, back through Sansum Narrows and past the ferry terminal on the north peninsula. Back at Sidney, we check in at the Port, (no free tie here, even for short time), then walked up to the Boaters Exchange, where there is almost anything for a boat – all you have to do is find what you are looking for, and then a walk up Beacon Ave Fifth and right to Fish on Fifth for the worlds famous fish and chips dinner I had been looking forward to sicnce the C-Dorys were there in 2012. Speaking with the owner, he remembered us (C-BRATS) being there then. So did the young man who’s responsible for cooking those fish and fries to perfection. Worth the trip, for sure. Leaving Sidney in mid-afternoon we missed the excitement in Maple Bay.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/float-plane-flips-at-maple-bay-pilot-escapes-unharmed-1.1828965

By the time we were back the plane was towed, still upside down, to another dock and when we came into the slip, I missed seeing the overturned pontoons of the Cessna. It was good to learn that the pilot escaped injury.

The following day we elected to move north to Chemainus. I took the boat and she drove her camper and we met again at the thriving metropolis of Chemainus, spelled just like it sounds. George and Carolyn were meeting us in the afternoon. We did a short cruise out to Thetis Island and Telegraph Cove, looking at the Cut between Thetus and Penelakut, (a totally native First Nations People) island now. We did circumnavigate the combined islands and then early afternoon the winds are increasing, and waves up to 2 ft and 30% whitecaps, we are heading back to Chemainus port to meet George and Carolyn. On the way back, we noticed 2 kayakers, and with the current conditions, I felt it prudent to check with them to be sure they were OK. They confirmed they were, and they were skirted and adequately outfitted, so we continued into the port. Walking up the street from the dock we passed a very interesting, and eventually confirmed, very good, bakery and a place called Barnacle Barney’s. Turns out it was pretty good fish and chips too. Found a place for a Chinese meal that suited everyone’s fancy and we had a very enjoyable visit.

At the Chemanius dock that day, as I was walking from the boat I noticed the world was sliding off to the right……huh, what? Yup it was a BIG, HUGE Freighter, with a blue hull that seemed miles long and mountains high from my 22 foot perspective. The Star Evviva, a Norwegian lumber ship, about 600 feet long and about 25K tons was sliding by the dock about 30-40 feet out from where I had just been tied. It came in and very slow and tied, and started loading lumber. Every time those huge gantry cranes moved the alarm beeping was steady, for the next nearly 40 hours, or realistically the next 2 nights. The gantry cranes and the hysters, beep beep beep, beep beep beep, beep beep beep, beep beep beep, and then some. Good thing I sleep with a CPAP, I didn’t hear a thing after I turned that on. The Star Evviva snuck out early the second morning.

Since there were so many islands around, it was time to go do more check ride on the C-Dory. The tide was up enough to make it through the cut so off we went to Telegraph Harbor. The entrance pole to the cut shows we have 5 feet going through so we should have plenty of clearance. Nice to have that as we head in. All is going well until we come to a large, maybe 4 acre, lagoon. Water is clear and we can see bottom. There is a sand mound to the right, and one to the left. A Canadian Goose is standing halfway between the sand islands and the largest part of the lagoon is off to starboard. Hummmmm, which way. There is 5 feet under us, and to right or left it gets shallow (1-2 feet ) very quick. OK, fun. I opt to move forward in reverse. Spinning 180 degrees, with Sandy on the stern, and the sounder there too, I’ll back my way through. She can see bottom and I have the sounder. Pulled the OB’s up to just below the surface and proceeded towards the Honker in reverse. Barely getting started in this mode and a gentleman in a 14ft aluminum boat comes up alongside, and asks if we want to follow him through. Since he is going that way, why not? Sure. Rotate and off we go. As we get to the opening in the east end of the cut, there are daymark poles extending out another half mile. He says to stay to the right, and then he is off and gone back where we came from, and we are off to continue the circumnavigation. I never did figure what that Honker was standing on.

Between the north ends of Galiano and Salt Spring in Trincomali Channel is a little skinny island in a chain of other little skinny islands called, Wallace Island. It is a BC park and has an interesting history, including a book about the island history. (Once Upon an Island by David Conover.) Conover Cove in the western side, near the southern end, is a perfect little bay, guarded by a very aggressive, (read proud papa) Canada Goose and a perfect stay for a C-Dory and a few other boats. There are several nice hikes around the island, including a short one up to the “Mess Hall”. This is a historical building with a whole different history. There are hundreds of pieces of “drift” wood, some painted, some carved, some all natural, with boat names and dates from those who have passed through on their way to N, S, E, & W. Sandy knew from Martin and Andrea, that there were some C-Brat boat names in there. She found it. From 2013,
Nomad
Rock-C
In Cahoots
Blue Skies
Sea Sprite
Kerri On
C-Cakes
Two Bears
and now, SleepyC 4/22/15

There were some others too, but this one had room for one more name and it was a C-Brats plaque.

I spent a night there later, and enjoyed not having any raccoons on my boat. There was lots of room so I corner tied, to make their egress less easy. It must have worked.

As matters of boats, tow vehicles and business, Sandy had to leave for the mainland, and so after another fish and chips dinner, she was off to Naniamo, and I returned to Conover Cove from Chemanius. I kind of missed the breakfast at the bakery. Oh WOW they make good stuff --- everything was tempting, and everything I tried was perfect. Jamie gave excellent service and Steve’s very early mornings were certainly productive. What a team.

Leaving Conover Cove on Wallace early, put me south bound through Trincomali riding with the tide again, and headed into the harbor at Ganges. I found an excellent photo chance at the harbor entrance, a crab boat, with a flock of gulls circling, in the sun spotlight, and the clouds around are dark and ominous. Worked great. The gas dock at Ganges is a BoatUS station, and the operator was very congenial. After fueling, I walked the boat forward a ways and then, with his blessing, went up into town to find a bakery and fish and chips. Well, not so much joy. No place walkable that anyone would recommend for the F&C, and the bakery was OK, but not close to the Chemainus level. I waited, hoping the wind would lay down, and finally, seeing some other boats coming into the harbor, contacted a couple and confirmed with them that once I cleared the harbor and Beaver Point, The wind would be quiet, so off I headed toward Sidney and Fish on Fifth …. Yes again. Had to. It’ll be a while before I can get back.

Sidney for the night; off on H dock, almost all by myself, where it was quiet and dark enough to sleep, and shared with a Great Blue Heron that stood on the edge of the dock as I walked slow and stealthily by. The assigned dock would have been great but there was a sailboat sticking halfway across the fairway, and with the wind, it was too close for comfort(mine) to get around that corner and past the sb with enough room to spare (my gel coat). The halibut derby in the morning had the docks pretty busy with fishermen getting ready for a 0400 start. Across the dock from me there was a beautiful classic Chris Craft, 35 ft, and lots and lots of very pretty WOOD. It is really pretty on somebody else’s boat, Pearl, from Port Angeles, and another one down the way from Sequim, and there was another boat, Tatosh, from Sequim there. Turns out there were several boats from PAYC staying for the night. All participating in a predicted log race event on Saturday morning and then staying in Victoria over Sat night and then off to home on Sunday AM.

Early Saturday, under a light haze and no breeze, SleepyC cleared the Sidney dock, and headed east towards Harro, past Sidney Spit and past several boats who were looking for the biggest halibut of the day. Checking with the AIS and listening to Victoria Traffic there is a train of commercial shipping vessels, cargo, lumber, a tanker and more, all lined up from almost a dead on meet, to clear up past Turn Point. Using the CPA and TCPA features on the AIS, it was pretty easy to figure and adjust my speed and headings to find the biggest gap, and cross the very active shipping lane with the maximum clearance between my little boat and the 1000 ft (+/-) ships.

Although not an active participant in the Vessel Traffic Service, I monitor it regularly, where ever I am. In the BC waters, it is incredible how active Victoria Traffic was. There are ferries making 15 minute runs, from small islands like Thetus and Penelakut, to the big super ferries running between Tswassan, Nanaimo, and Sidney at 20+ knots and the radar does not see around the islands past the curving passes so the AIS and Traffic Service are worthwhile adjuncts. I have found both Canadian and US traffic services helpful in many situations. Interestingly, Victoria Traffic monitors Class B AIS, where Seattle does not; however, in checking with Seattle, they do have a way, because in both services, I have been asked to verify my MMSI# and location. For a single hander, I find that somewhat comforting at times and do appreciate their very professional services.

Clearing Customs in Roche Harbor and topping off the fuel I wondered up toward NW Waldron Island and then around towards Prevost Harbor on Stuart Island, looking for some marine wildlife, making Turn Point from the opposite direction this time I headed into Reid harbor for the night. Turns out I picked the Dock of Tugs this time… Again, the smallest boat on the dock. I pulled in behind a nice new Ranger 29, which was behind an American 35ish, and I bit later a Nordic 44 pulled in around the end of the dock to the shore side. They were traveling with a pair of Krogans, and another 50+ headed on their way to Alaska. Still…, the smallest boat on the dock.

The Rooster crowed at 0430; I was off the dock by 05 and at Cattle Point/Pass by 0645. Checking VHF marine weather on the way to CP, it looks like a go, Winds are 5-10 between Smith Island, and Race Rocks, Waves 1-2 and barometer readings at both ends of the Strait are almost even, (within 1 point difference), east to west. Visual confirmation from a coast Pilot between Sequim and Port Angels are consistent with the auto observations from 06. Cattle Pass is cleared at almost slack tide, and the crossing is on. At 9-10 knots, on auto pilot, we, (SleepyC and I), are making our way through the 1-2. Some of them are bigger than 2 and it got so I had to pick my waves so the AP goes off and I’m steering with the big wheel, ( A reference to my auto pilot steering wheel which is about an inch in diameter and in use frequently.) and adjusting speed accordingly. Now it’s a boat ride. Sure glad I can trust my C-Dory to take the waves and the salt spray. After several crossings, I have decided I would rather have beam seas on the starboard bow than on the port. Easier to see, track and adjust from sitting at the helm, where it is good to be, if you need to adjust power and steerage. Crossing solo in this kind of weather, I have check in with Seattle Traffic, advising them of position, heading and speed with an ETA for Sequim Bay. They will usually ask me to confirm position somewhere along the way, CA buoy, or at the traffic lanes; today it is at the buoy, and then on that call, to check in again at the inbound lane. It’s nice to know they are there. AIS shows traffic at Port Angeles and Marrowstone Point and a pleasure boat headed from Victoria and a 40 ft sailboat out of Harro Strait. Crossing the line between the Dungeness Lighthouse and Protection Island, the port beam seas drop from 2-3 to 1 ft. I run the trim tabs down 60% and push the twin throttles forward to 4200, the ride smooths, and the spray goes out to both sides now. Approaching the Sequim Bay outer marker, I make my phone calls to confirm a safe passage across, and that I’ll be on the dock in 20 minutes. Seattle Traffic requested a call when I was secured at the dock, and the call was made, then the electronics are shut down, the engines turned off, and the boat loaded onto the trailer. A good shower and bath for SleepyC to get rid of the salt off the top of the cabin and out of the cockpit, clean and dry and into the barn and the fish and chips from Fish on Fifth is back on the planning stage for the next trip.

Time to work on the planning.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Bluechablis

City/Region: Redondo Beach
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Far C'r
Photos: Far C'r
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, great reading, thank you for the adventure!
C-jeep

City/Region: Maple Bay
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Jeep
Photos: C-Jeep
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was leaving Maple Bay the day they recovered that float plane. I recall seeing a cabernet striped 22. Must have been you. I remember I thought - what a nice colour for a cdory. I was in my cabernet striped angler 16. Enjoyed the post.
Cheers
Chris

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: